UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Moderators

Jehst is a real stalwart of the British underground and revered by many. For me though he's the best example I can give of what I hate about that scene. He's such a miserable po faced prick, and he puts me right off in his bid to be seen as a brooding poet. Gets right on my tits.

And I'm not saying that I don't want rappers to talk about serious topics, but I'd rather it was done in a way that makes me give a shit. In a similar vein, but I think much much better, check out some skinnyman -

He's infinitely more charismatic and engaging, I feel. (If you like those, btw, they're all off the Council Estate of Mind album and it's great).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Was/is anybody ever a fan of Papoose back when i was in High School about 7/8 years i discovered him and thought he was about to become major (except Busta's touch it remix) he never did.

Or was he shit?

Edited by Fox Piss

Also if you're looking for something a bit more upfront UK wise Foreign Beggars recent stuff is pretty banging:

EDIT: Personally I'm more into the lyrical poetry side of things, and Foreign Beggars excelled at that. Examples:

Great beats on that pair a well.

Edited by kendal mint cake

Del has done some amazing stuff over the years, although his output is patchy.. Good news though Total Package - Deltron Event 2 is actually totally recorded now and Deltron live shows will be coming to the UK. Dan the Automator told me so himself on Twitter! Can't fucking wait...

Wow, that is indeed great news, can't wait to hear it, read some blogs/websites, sounds like he really put some thought into this one.

First time I ever heard Onyx was seeing the version of Slam with Biohazard on Beavis and Butthead. Awesome..

It's funny you say that, because for me it was the first time I heard of Biohazard, back then I was stuck in my ways and not open to other music outside of Rap and RnB, but then I saw these wild white boys getting wild with Onyx and I thought damn these guys sound alright, checked out their stuff and became a fan ever since.

They would work together again on that great Judgement Night soundtrack, which I think is probably the best crossover Rap/Rock album ever, and the movie was good too.

Some good 90s links there people. Yeah Souls Of Mischief '93 Til Infinity is a great track and they were a great group, much like Pharcyde, just great chill out tunes. Ha thanks to you lot, I'm probably going to spend the rest of the day listening to Labcabincalifornia.

Anyone listen to GraveDiggaz? Their first album is still the best, that shit blew my mind back then, it was like HipHop meets Evil Dead, I know that scene eventually became to be know as Horrorcore with groups like Insane Clown Posse (which GraveDiggaz are miles above of), but nothing has ever matched the lyrics and beats of 6 feet deep, it's one of my highly rated rap albums of all time, again like Deltron it did something interesting with rap and did it well.

GraveDiggaz Diary Of A Madman

As for UK rap , I've never really been able to get into it. I've tried, but something about it usually ends up rubbing me the wrong way, especially when it comes to videos, I feel like I'm watching a parody of American stuff.

Edited by The Total Package

• Moderators

Both prince Paul and dan the Automator are probably the only ones who have pulled off these really good hip hop concept albums. Love those two, and also Prince Among Thieves and Handsome Boy Modeling School spring to mind.

As for souls of mischief I always thought their album 'trilogy' was very under rated. Not somewhere I can post YouTube links right now, so will select a couple choice cuts when I can unless someone else can hopefully beat me to it. (also, souls and pharcyde are, in my mind, always also linked to people under the stairs... Acid raindrops and San Francisco nights!)

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Both prince Paul and dan the Automator are probably the only ones who have pulled off these really good hip hop concept albums. Love those two, and also Prince Among Thieves and Handsome Boy Modeling School spring to mind.

Wow I never heard about them two before, they sound interesting, so cheers for that.

Oh I never mentioned that I like Papoose, but I always thought he was better off on mixtapes or featuring on someone else's track.

I dont know where to put this, but this might be the better thread for it, but this guy here, has made quite a cool hiphop mix to the X-men 90s cartoon theme.

Also for football fans, he made one for the CL theme as well.

Both great imo.

• Moderators

Not sure I really like that actual beat, but I love that it exists, because that X-Men theme is my favourite cartoon theme ever.

Umm yeah. I love both those albums so it's hard to pick favourites but definitely check them out. With Handsome Boy - the second one is alright, but it's not even close to the first one.

At a push, my favourite tracks:

Anyone else ever heard of Distrakt?

He's not the best at anything, but I love his whole DIY one man aesthetic. Produces his own tracks and raps on them, and then makes his own videos which are a mix of live action and animation. Fun stuff. He just dropped something new -

and here is probably my favourite thing he's done, but you should really check out his channel if you like either of them because there's a lot of gold in there -

• Paid Members

I've had the pleasure of playing along side Foreign Beggars, Skinny man and De La Soul and a few more over the last decade. Nice to see some of which have been mentioned already.

In terms of what got me in to hip hop originally, the below need to be mentioned:

Charizma & Peanut Butter Wolf - Red Light, Green Light -

The Pharcyde - Passin me by - Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde

Mos Def - black on both sides - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HajAuTU1pNA

In fact, anyone wanting to check out 90's albums, you need black on both sides and Bizarre ride in your collection. I'm all about 90's hip hop, i don't think it gets any better.

When i was a bit younger the sickest album to get was Pharoahe Monch Internal Affairs album it was so many levels of awesomeness that it was overplayed in my car over and over and over again :)

Also another album that i overplayed was Lyricist Lounge 2 and one of the songs that i just loved that made the album what is was for me although the album was just consistant throughout is :

Oh No - Mos Def , Nate Dogg, Pharaohe Monch