UKFF's Best Goals Ever

Forrest

I remember Celio Silva. My cousin even had a poster of him up from a magazine for ages.

We got Henning Berg instead i think and that worked out great.

Also there's a short piece from an interview with Kluivert on the treble season review and he gives his reason why he wouldn't come to united

LINK

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Ibrahimovic's goal was a great visual goal but when you consider he was basically kicking the ball into an empty net i don't rate as one of the greats, it just looked cool as fuck.

But the execution of performing that kind of shot, from that kind of distance, even into an empty net, makes it one of the most incredible strikes you'll ever see. Think of the amount of masturbation that has taken place over David Beckhams goal against Wimbledon - while it doesn't happen very often - is something kids all over the country have practised in the park. We could all chip a ball into an empty net with enough attempts and I'm sure plenty reading this will have done. Even I have. Free kicks the same - any shots with bend, curve, dip etc from 25-30 yards (with the possible exception of the Roberto Carlos outside of the boot) could be recreated by lads with a decent shot at practically any level.

The way that goal fell last night, not just the skill but the audacity to think "I'm having this" and even attempt it.... I've been watching football for over 20 years and watched as much archive footage as possible from the three decades previous, and I'll be shocked to ever see it again, and it's certainly not something I imagine anyone in the park being able to replicate, ever, even into an empty net. I'd rate it as a more special goal than most of the goals I've ever seen that involved having to beat a keeper OR five or six defenders.

i hear you, but there's still plenty id rate higher...including Rooney's overhead kick.

anyway's here's a gif...

7fcbc1d6bd68c3f75a10fa1.gif

• Paid Members
i hear you, but there's still plenty id rate higher...including Rooney's overhead kick.

There is a lot to be said for context.

probably doesn't need the background explaining, but at the time I genuinely thought Gerrard was an awe-inspiring leader who you could always count on to dig you out. This was his defining moment for me, before it went tits up and I realized he was a thug, a cheat and a tosser.

And do you remember where you were when you saw Michael Owen score this? Much overlooked in the pace and the finish is the first touch that brings the ball from slightly behind himself right into his path. It's an 18 year old boy tearing open one of the favourites in the World Cup. Special.

And since you mention Rooney, he used to be fantastic, he really did. His hat trick against Fenerbahce would have been great in any game, but in context - he'd been out for months injured, this was his first game for his new club AND his first game in the Champions League. At 19 he was fearless, and he'd just think "fuck it, I'll hit it."

Everyone remembers the Newcastle goal, but later on he'd do this v Middlesbrough in the FA Cup, mere minutes after scoring the second with a delicate chip.

• Paid Members

The more I see that Zlatan goal, the more I think Joe Hart acted like an absolute fucking pleb there.

Still an excellent Goalkeeper, and we forget at times that he's only 25. But he actualy had more time than I think he realised to hoof it clear.

I actually came in here to post the Giggs goal from '99, only to spot it had already been mentioned in the third post. Totally breathtaking to me at the time. And no offence to Gooners fans on here, but that shot of the United fans going mental before they pan up to the Arsenal section really sticks in the mind.

• Awards Moderator

:laugh: great memories of that. My old man, a staunch Evertonian, was with me and my mates watching it and as soon as it went in, he just necked his pint and mumbled 'cunt'.One of the few times I've heard him swear. Come to think of it, the other times were Gerrard's goal against West Ham and Suarez the other week. I reckon you lot would get on with my old man.

:laugh: great memories of that. My old man, a staunch Evertonian, was with me and my mates watching it and as soon as it went in, he just necked his pint and mumbled 'cunt'.One of the few times I've heard him swear. Come to think of it, the other times were Gerrard's goal against West Ham and Suarez the other week. I reckon you lot would get on with my old man.
Your old man sounds like a great chap. :thumbsup:

One to rival Van Persie's volley and Sinclair's bicycle kick as greatest Premiership goal scored while both feet were off the ground:

Gianfranco Zola for Chelsea vs Norwich.

I love this one for the amazing flick from behind to get it under control and after turning two defenders inside out it must have been a loooong wait for it to drop enough for him to slot it in the bottom corner:

Matt Le Tissier for Southampton vs Newcastle in 1993.

Archived