UKFF's Best Goals Ever

Forrest

• Paid Members
Ibrahimovic's goal was a great visual goal but when you consider he was basically kicking the ball into an empty net i don't rate as one of the greats, it just looked cool as fuck.

But the execution of performing that kind of shot, from that kind of distance, even into an empty net, makes it one of the most incredible strikes you'll ever see. Think of the amount of masturbation that has taken place over David Beckhams goal against Wimbledon - while it doesn't happen very often - is something kids all over the country have practised in the park. We could all chip a ball into an empty net with enough attempts and I'm sure plenty reading this will have done. Even I have. Free kicks the same - any shots with bend, curve, dip etc from 25-30 yards (with the possible exception of the Roberto Carlos outside of the boot) could be recreated by lads with a decent shot at practically any level.

The way that goal fell last night, not just the skill but the audacity to think "I'm having this" and even attempt it.... I've been watching football for over 20 years and watched as much archive footage as possible from the three decades previous, and I'll be shocked to ever see it again, and it's certainly not something I imagine anyone in the park being able to replicate, ever, even into an empty net. I'd rate it as a more special goal than most of the goals I've ever seen that involved having to beat a keeper OR five or six defenders.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Every goal Jeremy Goss ever scored should probably be in here. Especially his Ralph Macchio special against Bayern Munich.

While that's undoubtedly Goss' most famous goal, I've always preferred the volley from this 4-0 thumping of Leeds at Elland Road a few weeks earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHmEU9f_Jdo

Great long pass from Ian Butterworth, Ruel Fox controls it beautifully at pace, sends over a wonderful cross and Goss meets it with a spectacular volley.

What a game. After Gossy's third one I could've sworn the Leeds fans were applauding it. How did I forget about that one?

• Paid Members
Batistuta must have been linked to United every summer from about 1995 to 2000. The summer of 98 when United were linked with everyone from Batistuta to Kluivert to Henrik Larsonn to Dwight Yorke was the summer they seemed to be definitely getting him.

I'm positive that at some point the following summer or the one after it, he issued a statement to them that was essentially a come and get me plea, instructing his agent to make it happen. Obviously it never did, but he was certainly keen at one stage.

Batistuta must have been linked to United every summer from about 1995 to 2000. The summer of 98 when United were linked with everyone from Batistuta to Kluivert to Henrik Larsonn to Dwight Yorke was the summer they seemed to be definitely getting him.

I'm positive that at some point the following summer or the one after it, he issued a statement to them that was essentially a come and get me plea, instructing his agent to make it happen. Obviously it never did, but he was certainly keen at one stage.

Nah. He was never really interested in leaving Italy. He even said after his career finished that he could have joined United, '' won a European Cup and a Balloon D'or'' but it never really tickled his fancy. He was a terrific striker, I absolutely idolised the bloke growing up and he had one of the sweetest strikes I've ever seen. He loved every goal he scored and he celebrated them all like it was his last. He was incredible. Like Ian said, he was forever linked with United but in reality it was never going to happen.

• Paid Members

Didn't Kluivert agree terms in the summer of 98 and then pulled out or something? I remember something like this and it rarely gets brought up in United books I've read. I think I even had him in my Championship Manager Team. I have these vivid memories of thinking "he's ours". Only two other people I felt that certain about was Shearer and Ronaldinho and those deals died on their arse as well.

Didn't Kluivert agree terms in the summer of 98 and then pulled out or something? I remember something like this and it rarely gets brought up in United books I've read. I think I even had him in my Championship Manager Team. I have these vivid memories of thinking "he's ours". Only two other people I felt that certain about was Shearer and Ronaldinho and those deals died on their arse as well.

Yeah. I was on holiday in Clacton and picked up a newspaper and it was reporting that Kluivert was going to ink a deal that day and that Dwight Yorke was next on Fergie's hitlist. I marked out like a proper little 12 year old weirdo, making a complete cunt out of myself shouting Kluivert in Brian Moore's voice all the way back to the holiday park.

Marc Vivien Foe was the one I remember the most, he was linked forever to United when he was young, I even had a shite management game called Football Masters which managed to actually publish a game with Foe already at United. As history would tell us, he ended up at West Ham about a year later and was distinctly average.

• Paid Members

I don't know if anyone else remembers, but there was a Brazilian called Celio Silva as well, who was even interviewed in the United magazine, who never actually signed. Defender I think. I believe they bought Henning Berg when that fell through.

According to Michael Crick's biography on Sir Alex, United had agreed to sign Paulo Di Canio, depending on Dwight Yorke's move to Boro going through. It didn't :(

Archived