UFC on FOX 5: 'Henderson vs Diaz'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

on the subject of BJ/Rory, when it was announced my initial thougts were that it'd be a massacre, and i just can't shake that feeling. BJ is apparently taking this very seriously and we should see a fired up, motivated Penn, I also think if you wanna talk skill-for-skill you might give BJ the advantage but i just think when you look it at as a complete MMA fight and take into consideration Rory's size, I just see BJ getting overwhelmed and beaten up.

• Paid Members

Just been reading on MMAWeekly that BJ's been sparring the likes of Tyron Woodley, Ben Askren,Tarec Saffiedine, Josh Thomson, Jay Hieron and Pat Healy for this.

Good move and he's smart to bring in a lot of good wrestlers.If we go on past form I reckon BJ will have a strong opening round but fade as the fight goes on and Rory's size will take a toll later on.

I see Rory on points fairly comfortably. The combination of Rory's skills, the size, BJ's layoff will all be a factor I think. The sad thing is I still think BJ could still be a beast at 155. He seems determined to prove he can smash the bigger boys and he hasn't embarrassed himself at 170, but if he stayed in the right weight class who knows what his record would be.

BJ always has a shot though. The last time Rory faced someone who's this much a threat on the feet and the ground was Condit and it didn't end well.

Picking Rory, but rooting hard for Penn.

• Paid Members

Cracking trailer.

Just seen this...

532090_423640901032662_1019528127_n.jpg

Shogun's looking lean and we're still 3 weeks out from the fight. That's a good sign. I know it usually means nothing but in Shogun's case it makes me think he's probably been relatively injury free this camp and has been able to push himself more in training as a result. He doesn't usually look that in shape this far out.

BJ's looking pretty trim as well. This was from September...

20120906012638_IMG_4574.JPG

I'd love to see these 2 pull it off. I think Shogun has a better shot than BJ though.

• Paid Members

i think it's gonna be a bit of a passing of the torch type deal in them two fights.

I've already given my thoughts on Penn-Rory, but i genuinely think Gustaffson is gonna smash Shogun as well. If Shogun decides to take it to the ground i'll give him more of a shot but on the feet i see Gustasson blasting Shogun with the jab all night long and just turning his face to mush. I think it's gonna be a case of Gustaffson being way sharper.

• Paid Members

Maybe. We don't know just how good Gustafsson might be. There were all kinds of rumours going around a few months back that when he visited the Vegas gyms in the run up to his last fight, no-one wanted any part of sparring with him.

There's still big question marks on his ground game though and we don't really know how he reacts to getting hurt yet either. Both questions he might be forced to answer against Shogun.

I always say Shogun is on borrowed time. It's a near miracle he's fighting at all with the shit his body's gone through the last 5 years. He's getting by now on sheer heart and toughness. The skills are there but his body's knackered. I still think he can win this fight though. He's got more ways to win in my opinion. He can end it on the feet and has the grappling to fall back on. Gustafsson is not as good a striker as Vera and I doubt he has Hendo power.

It's an interesting one. I like Gustafsson a lot and hope he has a long and successful career.

After losing to Shogun :)

Gustafsson is not as good a striker as Vera

I disagree.

Gusty showed he is starting to use his reach and height to his advantage against T Silva.

Vera did have bursts against T Silva himself, but Gusty dominated for 15 mins, he is only going to get better and if Gusty and Vera fought K1 now, I would take Gusty anyday.

• Paid Members

I don't know. You might be right. On pure skill I think Vera's a better striker than Gustafsson but he's too inconsistent and often not aggressive enough.

Like I said, I like what I've seen of Gustafsson. I think he's got serious potential but we won't know for sure until Dec 8th. This is the big test for him in my eyes. Thiago Silva is good but he was coming off a massive layoff and a back injury. And Shogun is a better all around fighter than Thiago anyway.

Shogun has power in his strikes, toughness, good timing, he's mega aggressive and he has very good grappling. If Gusty can beat Shogun he's a deserving number one contender to me. I don't see him beating Jones at all but it would be interesting to see how Jones approaches a fight with someone who he doesn't dwarf in reach. Probably would just take him down and either submit him or elbow him into oblivion most likely.

I'm pumped for this fight. Check these out...

Alexander Gustafsson highlight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzChrmZkjtY

Shogun Rua highlight

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErovEcw4V44

Shogun vs Gustafsson trailer

• Paid Members

Bryan Caraway is injured and out of the fight with Mike Easton. Raphael Assuncao is the replacement.

Here's a new BJ Penn interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLqaeN0J...p;v=0S2xfVV_XLs

Some stuff on the main event here...

Cesar Gracie on Nate Diaz's fight with Bendo

Nick and Nate on some talk show talking about Benson

Bendo talks fight with Diaz

I really think this could be a late Fight of the Year contender.

Funny you should post that video with Cesar Gracie there, I was just reading some articles today about his reaction to Caio Terra helping Carlos Condit prepare for his fight with St-Pierre.

According to Terra he rang Cesar before going down to Jackson's and told him he would be helping Condit out, and Gracie was "really aggressive" with him over the phone. When they met face to face at some seminar shortly after Cesar claimed he was only kidding and that it was all cool. Following that he's been Tweeting stuff like this;

"@jakeshieldsajj @GilbertMelendez @nickdiaz209 @NateDiaz209 @caioterrabjj @graciemag_br Caio Terra is no longer affiliated with our academy,"

He then posted this on Facebook;

"OK we all saw that someone from our team got a camera and a few bucks put in their face and decided to show his true colors and stab his team mates in the back. No worries, that person is gone for good and I can't be happier. That person would also be wise not to show his sissy little face around here again."

Sissy little face? Seriously?

Cesar Gracie and his team really are the mouthbreathers of MMA, aren't they? I sometimes wonder what Jake Shields is doing there. He's like the one person with any intelligence in that group.

Archived