UFC on FOX 5: 'Henderson vs Diaz'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

This beauty is only a few weeks away now and looks like one of the best cards of the year on paper (or monitor).

UFC-on-FOX-5-Poster.jpg.opt320x460o0,0s320x460.jpg

FOX MAIN CARD (ESPN)

Benson Henderson vs Nate Diaz - UFC Lightweight Title

Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua vs Alexander Gustafsson

BJ Penn vs Rory MacDonald

Mike Swick vs Matt Brown

FX PRELIMS

Yves Edwards vs Jeremy Stephens

Raphael Assuncao vs Mike Easton

Ramsey Nijem vs Joe Proctor

Henry Martinez vs Daron Cruickshank

Tim Means vs Abel Trujillo

Dennis Siver vs Nam Phan

FACEBOOK PRELIMS

Scott Jorgensen vs John Albert

The main eventers couldn't be any more polar opposite.

The champion Benson Henderson is a clean cut fellow, who can do all things...

872_Ben_Henderson.jpg

...THROUGH CHRIST!!

Looks a bit of a nerd

WECBenHendersonUFC.jpg

Brings his Mom everywhere with him

022612henderson4-300x208.jpg

And is apparently a fan of Diamond Dallas Page

200px-Benhendersonfighter.jpg

Switch to his opponent...

natediazfinger-300x179.jpg

Nate Diaz.

A spliff smokin',

triangle chokin',

209in',

decision loss whinin',

finger waving,

munchies craving

...son of a gun.

81499113.gif

He's about the furthest removed you can get from Mr 'Smooth'

nate-diaz3.jpg

CERRONE_DIAZ.gif

Diaz-Double-Finger.gif

diazpellegrino.gif

Henderson meanwhile, is coming off a questionable decision win over Frankie Edgar in August

24796912.jpg

Diaz took to Twitter after the verdict was announced and just put;

"????"

And then before the UFC 150 post fight press conference the two reportedly got into a bit of bother backstage. I imagine it looked like this...

th_natediaz.gif

Benson's response?

mqdefault.jpg

Will the God squad guide Benson to victory over the dirty stoner? Tune in on Dec 8th to find out

tumblr_mcu5ps6AHo1r6p2tuo1_500.jpg

Also on the card...

***Pride lady voice***

"Maaaaaurrrrrrrrrriiiiici - o....

shogunrua.jpg

'Shooooguuuuuun'....

Mauricio-Shogun-Rua.jpg

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuaaaaaahhhhhhhhh"

shogun_ty_1-290x180.jpg

Street-Fighter-Vs-Logo.jpg

Some Swede

thumb.jpg

This Swede to be specific

gustafsson.jpg

Shogun's last 2 fights have been wars...

henderson-rua.jpg

i8hyXTFI08hDB.gif

How much has it took out of him? As a great Austrailian once said...

23730544.jpg

Does he have enough left to mash the Swede?

Can Gustafsson stop 'The Brazilian Zombie?'

syujio.jpg

Or is it a job for this lot?

the-walking-dead-3-550x346-e1293203848216.jpg

HWOZm245QM8.jpg

That's not all. BJ Penn returns from a 1 year retirement to fight Rory MacDonald.

Which BJ Penn will show up?

Angry Penn

bjbefore5throundindiegofight.gif

or

Can't be arsed Penn

0rLpF.gif

???

Fat Penn

tumblr_lhechd48bq1qfq2wc.jpg

or

Killer Penn

tumblr_m5qwiy4JCv1ry1rm7o1_r1_400.gif

???

Given Penn's history with a fluctuating waist band and him clearly enjoying tucking well in to some fast food, I guess it's only fitting that Penn's opponent has the last name...

McDonalds.jpg

It's not Ronald. It's Rory MacDonald. One of the scariest and most feared up and comers in MMA who also just happens to look like a librarian....

rory-macdonald-glasses.jpg

UFCRoryMacDonald.jpg

So who wins? Pig Penn or Conan the Librarian? There's only one way to find out...

HarryHillFight.jpg

Elsewhere on the card;

Can Mike Swick ward off the MMA injury Grim Reaper and keep his porcelain bones intact long enough to fight Matt Brown?

Mike-Swick1.jpg

Can Brendan Schaub keep his glass chin from shattering under the sheer velocity of a 'Big' Johnson?

lavar-johnson-300x171.png

A time machine brings 1970s Billy Connolly into the Octagon

Chiesa-Michael-TUF15-1-hs.jpg

And somebody's gonna get their ass kicked...somebody's gonna get their ribs split...

262tg08.jpg

It's Dennis Siver. Bringing more pain than any German since Hitler.

And we've got Scott Jorgensen

scottjorgensenktfokenstonetuf13finale.gif

And Yves Edwards

1omys2.gif

What say you lot?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BJ is meant to be in good shape according some sources, he was down to 180lbs a few weeks back, looking pretty good.

However, I have a horrible feeling this will be Rory's coming out party. BJ does have great takedown defense, but if someone is strong and big enough it can be overcome, BJ also has a great guard but again the same rule applies that is present with his TDD.

Rory will just be too big and strong, I hope we see a striking match, Rory did not exactly look comfy with Che Mills before he scored a takedown. If it does BJ may have a chance, he has power and maybe a speed advantage, it just depends if Rory can use his reach well.

I want BJ to win, but I see a copy of his second fight with GSP happening and him retiring in his corner and the sport after round 2.

Elsewhere, I like Gusty to win. He showed against Silva he can use his reach and boxing to a standard that reflects Jon Jones and Wlad Klitchsko. He is not quite their yet in terms of how they control and dominate, but he is getting very good at it. Shogun will take some big shots and I doubt he will be finished, but the score cards will be one-sided for Gusty. Shogun will look about 46 in the face by the time it ends.

The Main Event is one I enter with a lot of biased emotion, I am a big Diaz brothers fan. Also, Bendo is maybe the least deserving Champion in the UFC right now, the last fight with Edgar was lets be honest a robbery. Bendo is a hard worker and a very good fighter, and deserves to be at the top of the weight class, but really Edgar should have the belt on his mantle now. I guess you could argue that Edgar won the belt initially from BJ on a robbery, and that there was no need for a rematch after Bendo won the first fight, but still.

I like Diaz to win, Bendo was soundly outboxed by Edgar, now Edgar is quicker than Diaz. But Diaz is a different type of boxer than Edgar, its not foot movement he uses its combo's and constant pressure. I cannot see Bendo dealing with it. Also, as good as a wrestler Bendo is, Nate finally showed with Jim Miller that he can defend takedowns, plus even on the mat Nate is a excellent submission artist who I could see catching a Bendo if he got the right position.

I think Diaz will keep the pressure up starve of some takedowns and finish Bendo late. Even God will not be able to fix the cards for Bendo when Nate finishes!

Great card!

Great opening post yet again Wand! I particularly loved the "Brazilian Zombie" and the 1970's Billy Connelly line.

This is a freaking sick card! Could be one of the best of the year, FOX 4 was pretty damn good, I think the UFC have finally found their stride with the FOX shows. Swick vs. Brown is a perfect opener, with Swick's powerful striking and Brown's granite chin, guaranteed war there. I think both are durable enough to go the 3 rounds, I'll pick Swick there.

I'm always hesitant to pick Penn to win a fight nowadays, because (and it's been said so much that it really is cliche) you never know which Penn will show up. I think Rory beats Penn either way, he's a big WW and he's younger and hungrier- like the Ryback of the WW division. Rory by 2nd round GnP.

The co-main... I'll say Shogun takes it. He impressed me in beating down Vera, I don't think I gave him as much credit at the time for the win, but Vera brought his absolute best performance and Shogun still shut him down. He also lost a FOTY by the narrowest of margins to Hendo, and ran through Forrest like a hot knife through butter. Since getting handled by Jones, Shogun has really fought like a champion, and I don't think Gustaffson is at that caliber, not really believing the hype.

In the main, I'm hoping Diaz takes it. Bendo barely skated by in retaining his title, and he seems to lack the killer instinct he brought to Miller and Guida. The Diaz bros may be controversial, but they're incredible fighters, and I think one of them is due a UFC title. Stockton 209 motherfucker.

The prelims look like a great bunch of fights, but nothing really stands out as something I have emotional investment in. Besides wanting to see Schaub get KTFO again. :D

A horrible feeling? MacDonald is a guy with a bright future. A win for him would be brilliant.

I am a Penn fan though, and I am not exactly keen on MacDonald.

I get your point, a young gun winning against a legend is good for the sport as it would highlight a new and fresh challenger at 170lbs.

• Paid Members
A horrible feeling? MacDonald is a guy with a bright future. A win for him would be brilliant.

I get your point, a young gun winning against a legend is good for the sport as it would highlight a new and fresh challenger at 170lbs.

Fuck that point right up it's arse. McDonald wouldn't look out of place in a police line-up looking for a serial killer. I just can't get behind someone who looks like he could easily slot into the John Doe role from Se7en.

Soooooo, on that note, I'm preying for this Penn.

bjbefore5throundindiegofight.gif

• Paid Members
BJ is meant to be in good shape according some sources, he was down to 180lbs a few weeks back, looking pretty good.

However, I have a horrible feeling this will be Rory's coming out party. BJ does have great takedown defense, but if someone is strong and big enough it can be overcome, BJ also has a great guard but again the same rule applies that is present with his TDD.

Rory will just be too big and strong, I hope we see a striking match, Rory did not exactly look comfy with Che Mills before he scored a takedown. If it does BJ may have a chance, he has power and maybe a speed advantage, it just depends if Rory can use his reach well.

I think the stand up is Rory's possible weakness. Slightly. A bit. Che Mills tagged him pretty good and he looked a bit panicked, although he did the right thing in response. Condit landed some good stuff on him as well. He's defo hittable.

I'm picking Rory, really mostly due to his size. Skill for skill I still think BJ matches up pretty well with him and if they were the same size I think BJ would be the favourite. But they're not the same size obviously.

I think BJ has better boxing and better grappling overall, but it's the old thing again which fucks Penn up time and time again. He thinks he's 7ft tall. I love BJ Penn but he still hasn't grasped that there's weightclasses for a reason. People put it down to laziness and not wanting to cut down to lower weights and while that's probably a fair criticism of him earlier in his career, I don't really buy it now. When he first went up to 170 in 2004 he was a fat bastard. No mistake. Look at the pictures of him in the first post for proof. Fat bastard.

You look at him at 170 vs Fitch or Diaz and he looks in much better shape. He fought hard right to the end vs Diaz in a high paced fight he was losing handily. He does put the graft in. I just think it's a bravado thing. I think he likes the challenge of fighting bigger opponents and it seems like he thinks if he loses at 170 and drops to 155 it's as if he's running from the bigger guys or something. Stupid but I think that's a big part of it. There's stuff in his book where he was on about fighting Arlovski at heavyweight for the title for fucks sake. He's mental.

This is it for me as well. Big fan of Penn and despite really enjoying Rory's fights and thinking he's got serious potential, there's something about him I don't like. Can't put my finger on it, nor would I want to, but something about him unsettles me.

I would fucking love to see BJ choke him out. Part of me loves it when one of the old guard derails a hype train. Especially when I think the hype isn't fully warranted.

I mean, Rory's looked amazing so far but he has yet to beat a truly top welterweight. I'd say his best win was Nate Diaz but Nate is a 155er and had only fought twice at 170. The rest are mostly guys who are good mostly in one area and he's been able to either beat them at their weakness or use size on them.

Not knocking him at all, he can only beat what they put in front of him and it's smart to exploit the opponent's weak areas, but what happens when he comes up against a proper top 170lber? It happened once...

condit_macdonald_ufc-115_display_image.jpg

And Condit did this to his face...

66154077.jpg

He was winning the fight early on but that just shows he can be beat. People are going on like he's Ivan fucking Drago and I think it's a bit early for that.

If he wrecks Penn, despite Penn being a small 170, he deserves full praise. Because despite BJ being smaller he's a former champ at the weight and Nick Diaz couldn't finish him. If Rory can stop him, or totally dominate him it's by far the best win of his career.

But yeah, I want to see the fight end with something like this...

w0p54x.jpg

followed by something like this...

353827_o.gif

The co-main... I'll say Shogun takes it. He impressed me in beating down Vera, I don't think I gave him as much credit at the time for the win, but Vera brought his absolute best performance and Shogun still shut him down. He also lost a FOTY by the narrowest of margins to Hendo, and ran through Forrest like a hot knife through butter. Since getting handled by Jones, Shogun has really fought like a champion, and I don't think Gustaffson is at that caliber, not really believing the hype.

I don't know what to make of Gustafsson quite yet. He doesn't really bring much that Shogun hasn't seen before. Like Penn, I think a lot will depend on how Shogun looks on the night. Gustafsson could give Shogun a lot of trouble with his reach and he throws pretty quick with his combos as well.

The big advantage I think Shogun has in this one is the grappling. I'm sure Gusty has worked extensively on his ground game but it's still a fact that just 2 years ago he was getting Anaconda choked to fuck by Phil Davis, and really hasn't shown a lot of his ground game since then. People will probably point to Gusty's stuffing Hamill's takedowns as evidence that he can keep it on the feet but as I've said a load of times, Shogun has some of the most underrated takedowns in MMA.

He's taken down Chuck Liddell (one of the best sprawls in MMA history), Hendo (repeatedly), Coleman (had anyone ever taken down Coleman in MMA before Shogun did?), Vera (Randy tried and failed all night). I don't see why he couldn't take down Gustafsson.

On the feet they both have power, Gusty's pretty quick for his size, Shogun's the better overall striker in my opinion. Haven't seen Gustafsson's chin tested much yet though and if anyone can test someone's chin Shogun can.

I'm picking Rory by decision (probably one sided sadly), Shogun by submission (for the first time since he nearly ripped Randleman's leg off) and Benson on points in a great fight. Probably go with a Swick submission as well.

Shogun has some of the most underrated takedowns in MMA.

Coleman (had anyone ever taken down Coleman in MMA before Shogun did?),

Agreed on the first point, watching back the GP in 2005 is proof of that. man was a machine back then.

On the second point, maybe not before but Couture did later. I am not sure many tried, but taking down Coleman in 2009 is not that much of a bragging right. Hendo also has suspect TDD.

The Liddel example, proves our point though.

• Paid Members

I'm probably jinxing it by bring this up, but it's amazing how well this card has stayed intact since it was announced. On paper it's a fantastic show, but I've stopped myself from getting too excited, convinced it'd be ravaged by injuries. Incredibly, it looks like it might come to fruition. Now all we need is a Diaz and Penn win and I'll be truly overjoyed. For the record though, I fully expect Henderson and McDonald to be victorious.

• Paid Members
I'm probably jinxing it by bring this up, but it's amazing how well this card has stayed intact since it was announced.

Eddie Yagin is likely out of his UFC on FOX 5 match up with Denis Siver after the featherweight fighter suffered a head injury in training that required him to be admitted to the emergency room.

...and so it begins

I'm probably jinxing it by bring this up, but it's amazing how well this card has stayed intact since it was announced.

Eddie Yagin is likely out of his UFC on FOX 5 match up with Denis Siver after the featherweight fighter suffered a head injury in training that required him to be admitted to the emergency room.

...and so it begins

Junkie are reporting that Nam Phan will replace Yagin against Siver.

Archived