US Election

The Four Horsemen

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
This is a pretty popular stance at the minute. I totally get what you're saying but, when I see this all up on twitter and facebook from Brits there is a definite vein of condescension towards Americans in the attitudes expressed. Not pointing the finger at you personally but I think collectively anyone with David Cameron as their leader really shouldn't have the gall to be smug about... well, anything politics related.

100% agree. Given the turnout for our own elections & the general level of knowledge on our own politics it seems pretty rich for Brits (as a collective) to be taking any high-ground with the Americans. Although they might vote in an abhorrent President at least they're voting and (in my experience) are seemingly better informed of what they're voting for than the people I'm surrounded by.

• Paid Members

I seriously doubt Romney would be half as bad as people on here seem to think. I don't particularly agree with his social policies and I think he'd end up widening the rich and poor gap, so would probably vote for Obama if I could, but I can hardly say I'm "terrified" of a Romney win.

• Paid Members

The difference between the UK and US elections, imo, is that the US President has far more power than David Cameron could ever dream of. The fact that Mitt Romney will be in charge of one of the most powerful nations in the world is a scary thought.

He wants to go to war with Iran. That alone should be enough to show you that he's mental. If he goes to war with Iran, the chances are we will follow.

It's not a popular view but some sick side of me wants wars and rise in religious extremism.....shit like that make the world exciting (as long as I'm not involved in any of it).

I dunno I get a tingle in balls when I see carnage on the news and mass civil unrest. Maybe I should take this shit to the depression thread but I like to live in a world that's on the brink of destruction.

This is a pretty popular stance at the minute. I totally get what you're saying but, when I see this all up on twitter and facebook from Brits there is a definite vein of condescension towards Americans in the attitudes expressed. Not pointing the finger at you personally but I think collectively anyone with David Cameron as their leader really shouldn't have the gall to be smug about... well, anything politics related.

I see what you're saying and I guess you're right, but if it justifies my comments in anyway Cameron is pretty high on my hitlist of fucking cunts, I didn't vote for him and pissed off that so many of my fellow countrymen did and couldn't see past the arrogant, smug twat. I can't believe I'm about to give Cameron a backhanded compliment but he is definitely the lesser of two evils and given the choice between Romney and Cameron, give me Cameron. Romney is far more dangerous, mainly for the reasons Nexus gave.

• Moderators

Join the army then, if you want to get a stiffy. And then you can cut your fucking greasy hair as well.

Anyway, turns out a voting machine in Penn isn't registering for Barack, apparently. What's wrong with using fucking pens and X-ing boxes?

100% agree. Given the turnout for our own elections & the general level of knowledge on our own politics it seems pretty rich for Brits (as a collective) to be taking any high-ground with the Americans. Although they might vote in an abhorrent President at least they're voting and (in my experience) are seemingly better informed of what they're voting for than the people I'm surrounded by.

I can't help but agree with this. We voted in the poshest, toffest bunch of privileged bastards this country's had in charge for years at a time when the divide between rich and poor is rapidly expanding. We're just as idiotic as the Americans.

I don't think Romney's anywhere near as bad as the Bushes. He doesn't come across as ideologically hawkish, more a heavily business-oriented man. He's got more experience of life, business and governance than most presidential candidates have had. I still hope he doesn't win, but he's far from the worst candidate they've had.

You see, I think you are being a bit harsh on the Brits there.

I think that the British people have a harder choice, because our Politicians are far too similar. The country felt burned after Tony Blair turned out to be another twat, after lulling everyone in with New Labour and frankly Cameron seemed to do the exact same thing with the Conservatives this last time. The Brits play a sneakier game where one bullshitter blends into the next. It tends to breed apathy for all politics in my view.

With this current US Election, the gap in "who seems the most sane man" is fucking huge. The post debate TV coverage that had fact-finders pointing out blatant lie after blatant lie in Romney and his running mate's speeches should be evidence enough for normal people to realise that Romney's campaign is full of shit. His recovery plan that's super secret and no-one can know until he's President is another piece of unbelievably nonsense.

• Paid Members

Going state by state I get Obama winning with 290. That sounds right both in general terms (a close but ultimately comfortable win) and in practical terms (he's just at the point where losing one more battleground state wouldn't be enough to lose the whole thing.)

I do think it will seem a lot close as the results come in because there'll be at least one "freak" result where one guy wins a state that's out of kilter with the overall picture and the pundits are wrongly speculating that "As X has won state Y, he must surely have won all the closer states."

As much as a Romney win would terrify me, I also want him to, because it'd really upset the sort of people I like seeing upset. Even as the sky flashes with the onset of nuclear death, I'd smile with smugness at their outraged tweets.

Anyway they're both just puppets for the elite, ennit?

• Moderators
It's not a popular view but some sick side of me wants wars and rise in religious extremism.....shit like that make the world exciting (as long as I'm not involved in any of it).

I dunno I get a tingle in balls when I see carnage on the news and mass civil unrest. Maybe I should take this shit to the depression thread but I like to live in a world that's on the brink of destruction.

The results of the election are in:

You've been banned

Archived