Bonfire Night

Richie Freebird

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Yeah, it says a lot when people are so easily entertained by colours and noise. It's essentially a louder night time version of pre-school TV. There was a massive fireworks show thing by my house last night so I spent most of the night trying to calm my dog down and hoping she didn't end up pissing on the carpet or something.

• Moderators

You can have a social gathering and stuff any day though without the massive waste of money which are fireworks (Weeeee BANG! That's a fiver) though. That comes with the bonus of not annoying awesome people, tormenting the poor sods with new borns and putting the shits up animals. It's probably the most anti-social day of the year. People should remember gunpowder, treason and plot with silent recollection in their own houses so I can hear the telly interrupted and it doesn't get the annual "nob throws rocket into fire, innocent party gets rocket in leg" story that surfaces around here every year.

Is it just me seeing a large amount of knobheads on fb and twitter calling it 'bomb fire night', boxer Tyson Fury is the latest in a long line to call it this, what the hell!?

I don't know if it's a Birmingham thing, a working class thing or a moron thing, but I have relatives who call it "bumfire night."

My wife's a Catholic and although she likes fireworks, I always feel uneasy around her on National Burn a Catholic Day.

I grew up catholic and have been around catholics my entire life, and I have never known anyone to give a religious shit about bonfire night. If anything, it's National Burn a Terrorist/Assassin Day, so it's the muslims and ninjas that you should feel awkward around.

Well, it comes from a period where they were celebrating the victory of protestantism/Anglicanism over Catholicism in Britain. They stick an effigy of a Catholic conspirator and throw it on the bonfire, it couldn't be more clear what it is! I know when you go to a fiesta in Andalucia it's very pretty and everything but they're still clearly reenacting kicking the black and Muslim people out of Spain!

Archived