Mildly interesting, completely useless wrestling facts

ShortOrderCook

• Paid Members

The fink gets damp over Sunderland lasses accents.

He stopped mid convo just to listen to a random woman chatting with another (both macs). He actually said 'do you know them?' I said 'no' and he said 'why not', then walked away from me to pester them.

Pure stud

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They mentioned Edge was unbeaten at WrestleMania in the build up to WM24, despite him not winning his match the previous year.

If Cena isn't involved in the finish (Punk beats Ryback or vice-versa) then he can still claim to be unbeaten at Survivor Series next year.

They mentioned Edge was unbeaten at WrestleMania in the build up to WM24, despite him not winning his match the previous year.

If Cena isn't involved in the finish (Punk beats Ryback or vice-versa) then he can still claim to be unbeaten at Survivor Series next year.

Yeah, these undefeated streaks can be tweeked, I remember Kozlov losing a triple threat but not getting pinned, getting eliminated from the Rumble and even pinned in the chamber and they were still pushing him as undefeated!

The Honky Tonk Man and Brutus Beefcake were on opposing teams in the opening match of the Survivor Series three years in a row, 1987, 1988 and 1989.

The original Silvervision VHS release of the 1989 Survivor Series featured both Barry Windham and Akeem on the back cover even though neither man appeared on the actual show nor was any reason given for them not appearing.

• Paid Members

When The Model elicited a submission from Koko B Ware at WrestleMania VI, he became the first man to make his opponent at a 'Mania give up since his former tag team partner Tito Santana against The Executioner at the first WrestleMania (or should that be "the first anniversary of WrestleMania"? :cool: ).

Submission victories remained relatively rare at Manias over the years but have slight increased recently :

Executioner submits to Tito at WrestleMania

Koko submits to Martel at WrestleMania VI

Bob Backlund submits to Bret Hart at WrestleMania XI

Triple H submits to Chris Benoit at WrestleMania XX

Shawn Michaels submits to Kurt Angle at WrestleMania XXI

Triple H submits to John Cena at WrestleMania XXII

Shawn Michaels submits to John Cena at WrestleMania XXIII

Edge submits to The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXIV

Jimmy Snuka submits to Chris Jericho at WrestleMania XXV

Vince McMahon submits to Bret Hart at WrestleMania XXVI

Batista submits to John Cena at WrestleMania XXVI

Triple H submits to The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXVII

Chris Jericho submits to CM Punk at WrestleMania XXVIII

More than three times the number of submissions in the last nine 'Manias than the previous nineteen. Interesting. Also personally of note those five instances of Shawn and Hunter calling it quits in high profile matches, putting their opponent over in the strongest manner possible. I think that might come as a surprise to some people.

Note : I have omitted the results of Adrian Adonis passing out to Roddy Piper's sleeper at 'Mania III, and Stone Cold losing by stoppage to Hitman at 'Mania XIII. While both these go down in the record books as the match ending by submission, they aren't really indicative of the point I was after, that WWE in the 21st Century is much more likely to allow one of their wrestlers to "give up" in the truest sense on the biggest stage of them all. Not that another two would skew the comparison that much anyway.

The Honky Tonk Man and Brutus Beefcake were on opposing teams in the opening match of the Survivor Series three years in a row, 1987, 1988 and 1989.

And rather interestingly were involved in an elimination interacting with each other which arguably over the years indicated the shift in each mans place in the pecking order :

1987 : Honky pinned Beefcake

1988 : counted out together

1989 : Beefcake pinned Honky

Honky was of course well out of the Intercontinental picture by that time, and Beefcake was getting prepared for a run with that particular belt which never came to pass due to his injury. It actually surprises me how long it took Honky to see the writing on the wall. Rhythm & Blues, while a lot of fun for viewers, was clearly just killing time for him. If things had worked out differently and Brutus hadn't had his accident, Honky would be have been a fun mini-feud for him after he had taken the belt.

The Undertaker has taken on all the members of Evolution at WrestleMania in single matches, and obviously beaten them all.

The only other wrestlers to take on all of Evolution at Wrestlemanias were The Rock and Mick Foley, who both managed this in the same 2 matches, and have both lost against them

Archived