Mildly interesting, completely useless facts

ShortOrderCook

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Despite being an awful publication, the last page of Nuts magazine has a "Pub Ammo" section which is fantastic for stuff like this.

It sometimes is, but every now and again a spotty work experience kid throws one in that turns out to be bollocks. One week they asked "which player won a league title, then scored a hat trick in the Charity Shield against the team he would go on to sign for and then help win the league the next season?"

The answer they gave was Eric Cantona. I'm sure you all remember Liverpool winning the first Premier League title, with Cantona as their lynchpin.

My personal favourites of those are as follows :

Most expensive English player that never won an England cap - Dean Richards.

Player that has played for four Premier League clubs, capped over 70 times for England, scored in a Champions League final yet never commanded a transfer fee - Wol Campbell.

Only player to play in League 2 and the Champions League in the same season - that's Wol again.

• Paid Members
Both of the above are complete bollocks, but both do sound like they could be true. I have no idea where the actual terms "Dead Ringer" & "Graveyard Shift" come from so if anyone could enlighten me I'd be grateful.

A ringer was a fast horse entered into a race under the name of a slower horse that it happened to look like so that the odds on it would be more generous than they should be. The dead bit doesn't actually refer to death but is used as an adjective (or also an adverb) meaning absolute(ly) or very. Think of "Ungrateful little bastard! I took him to the BBC to go on that Jim'll fix it and there ain't been no gratitude from him. He's been dead grumpy ever since!"

There's nothing interesting about the term graveyard shift. After-hours work is lonely; graveyards aren't places for social interaction.

Tigers have striped skin, not just striped fur.

Cats in general, I think. When my big girl (who looks like a mini tiger) was spayed I noticed that the skin had the same stripes on it as the fur above. The colouring was a pale sort of coffee.

That one and the amazon logo are amazing pieces of logo design

It's just taken me a couple of minutes to work out what's so good about the Amazon one! Now that is clever, just a shade too clever for me to pick up on without a prompt ...

• Paid Members

William Moulton Marston- The creator of Wonder Woman was a psychologist who also invented the lie detector test. On top of that he was in a polyamourous relationship, living with both his wife and girlfriend together at the same time.

He also believed women to be more honest and reliable than men and championed women's equality in the 30s & 40s

That's more of a short bio than an interesting fact but he was a fascinating man and "The man who invented Wonder Woman also invented the lie detector" is a good little fact not many people know.

It's just taken me a couple of minutes to work out what's so good about the Amazon one! Now that is clever, just a shade too clever for me to pick up on without a prompt ...

Are we talking about the smile, or is there something else I've overlooked?

• Paid Members

There's also a small bear hidden in the Toblerone logo.

• Paid Members

The smile is also an arrow. The arrow goes from A to Z

The smile is also an arrow. The arrow goes from A to Z

I was expecting something more interesting. 5 minutes I was looking at that logo thinking, I can see the smile but surely there's something more to it. A to Z. Is that it?

homer_boring.gif

Archived