Impact discussion 1/11/12 *spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

There's not been a lot of TNA discussion, has there? Still watching last week's episode, and at the moment Impact's really fun. I absolutely detest Hardy as a champ though, he's just not my kind of guy.

Yeah, good show. Reveals are always good. Im guess that the Impact lads are gonna unmask the guys 1 by 1 over the next few weeks/months and then the leader of Aces and Eights will be unhappy so he'll finally reveal himself at some stage.

Christian York was really good too. Thought he had a win in him but hopefully he gets the contract. You can see him slotting right in on the roster and it would be a good success story for the Gut Check thing to give it a bit of credibility.

Hardy vs Aries II - Ladder Match, fucking right. You know its going to be a blinder. pretty excited for Turning Point, looks a good show already.

Daniels and Kazarian are brilliant aswell. Calling out the Spanish Announce team was hilarious.

Poor @OfficialTAZ

I wish I was at work on air. I can't even watch the show. I do appreciate everyone's tweets.

How refreshing was it last week to hear a different announce team! The whole show felt fresh and different with Borash and whoever that was, who incidentally wasn't half bad.

I reckon they need to get rid of Tazz altogether, he's utterly rubbish nowadays.

• Paid Members

He's popular, a proven draw, and had the WWE Championship in the not-too-distant past. He coasts on TV but his PPV matches are normally fine if not better.

Anyway. Decent epidose. The ending was a bit of a mess but that's a good reveal to make. Gallows is quality and having an unmasked guy who can go will be a big advantage. Devon was at risk of getting reeeeeally exposed being the main wrestler of the group, so this is a really smart reveal for me. I wish they'd decided on a name for him beforehand though - "Hey, it's... that guy! I know that guy! It's that... that guy!" was a bit rubbish.

Rest of the show was pretty good. Daniels and Kaz were absolute gold, and Hector getting all fired up and ready to fight was great. The Aries/Robbies thing was a bit weird with Aries not jumping Hardy during the match, which you'd think would've been where it was going. I'm not convinced by Hardy suddenly being able to pick the stipulation for Aries' rematch, either. I guess it's not confirmed officially, but it's still weird.

Angle/Devon is a really strange match to go with on PPV. Surely there's more money in Bully/Devon? In a tables match or something? I hate it when it's obvious they're putting a guy in a "nothing-better-to-do" match, especially when it undercuts an actual feud.

I'm sure there was more stuff, but I watched it live, so it's not stuck in my mind.

Its weird to think that 99% of the UKFF were avidly against anything Christopher Daniels. Now he's one of the best things on Impact along with Bully Ray. Weird to say the least. Daniels was always that guy who'd try harder to have a five star match than do anything character wise, but his stuff with Kazarian has been brilliant. Even during the whole AJ/Dixie/Claire Lynch thing he was stealing the show week in, week out.

The appletini glass, the Curry Man style dancing during his entrance, his promos, even his matches, all fucking great. I'd have never have thought he'd be what I enjoyed most on Impact when he returned a few years back.

Christian York was good, surprisingly so. I remember him being decent back in the day with Joey Mercury but he did some things in that match with Ion that most 'Gut Check' guys wouldn't do. It wasn't so much about the moves or the match itself, but the little story he told with Ions hair, reacting to the crowd and feeding of their reactions. You don't get that from many X division guys like Sonjay Dutt or Chris Sabin who've been in TNA for fuck knows how long....yet York, who's never really been a mainstay on TV seemed to work that well. I haven't wanted any Gut Check guy to get signed so far, but I'd be happy to see York on TV as long as there was no close up on his face.

Aries/Hardy in a ladder match should be good. With the two belts it screams of Razor/HBK but I don't like drawing comparisons, which is why I haven't touched the CM Punk-lite version of Aries a while back. Should be a cracker. I'm not a fan of Hardy but I guess that's why this pairing works. Rather than worry about babyfaces or heels, the crowd will be split because the Hardy fans probably don't like Aries and the Aries fans don't like Hardy. Whereas sometimes, you often like both guys, heel or face, in the main event.

Turning Point is shaping up nicely. With the Turning Point poster showing Wes Brisco in the Aces & Eights get up, I'll go ahead and assume he'll be the big reveal on that night. He's been involved in more and more segments with Kurt Angle, even he and Garrett Bischoff siding with the Impact roster when brawling with Aces & Eights, so that should be a good reveal. I've no idea if Briscoe is any good so if you instantly have him feud with Angle, at least he'll look like a million bucks by facing someone like Kurt.

Thought Impact was great this week. First of all, the new announce team need to do the whole show and the combo of Taz and Tenay need to be eased out, Taz can't stay on point and talks shit and Tenay isn't familiar with enthusiasm. Borash and this new bloke know what they're doing.

I enjoyed Joe and Magnus' match. The pair suit each other really well and the feud is moving along nicely; especially with Mag's new "I am TV" thing going on. Joe's intense promo from the back as he was recovering from the shot with the MONKEY WRENCH was fantastic. I want to see Joe and that passion in the main event....provided he changes them terrible baggy white and red shorts.

GutCheck was great this week. The match was really good, it entertained more than any other match on the show actually. The fact that the guy got to show off a bit and the finish was unpredictable meant the segment ticked all the boxes for me this week. I hope he gets a contract and actually appears on TV. He's 35, fuck developmental. His age did leave me wondering though, how does a guy survive financially as an indie wrestler from the age of 19-35, I suppose these are the type of risks these guys take that are so different to most peoples way of life. I must admit, thinking about a fella's finances whilst watching wrestling is admittedly a new low point.

Hardy vs Robbie E was good. It would be easy for TNA to feed all the credible wrestlers to Hardy week by week like WWE seem to do and is the reason everybody looks like a loser. So Robbie was the perfect opponent and actually looks better losing to the top guys rather than fucking around with Sonjay Dutt and co. I enjoyed Aries and Hardy's exchange and the ladder match should be a belter. This is still the infancy of Aries' main event career in TNA which is easy to forget so its great to see him rack up big matches and moments like these. I'd buy the pay per view for that match to be fair.

RVD vs Joey Ryan was a waste of time but its refreshing to see a pair of guys so full of passion trying to get recognised after the match. Fair play to Morgan to, his real life pissed off edge is doing him the world of good and Hogan clearly likes him. TNA need to be careful not to lead him down the failed path of his past few pushes now.

Storm-AJ-Roode at the ppv. Good decision. I think Storm should take the fall which removes his right to compete for the title until BFG as he just doesn't fit the title scene, saying that; AJ doesn't need the shot either but he would be a good choice for Destination X. I think Roode taking the chance from Storm would be perfect as it keeps his bragging rights as being the more dominant member and gives Storm something to fight back from. Good use of these guys.

Aces and Eights. I don't really care and try not to let it ruin my enjoyment of the show. This week it didn't and I actually enjoyed the few bits they were in. I'm glad Big LG was the guy to be unmasked and Tenay's line about him being "the enforcer for some of the biggest names in wrestling" was good as it shown his credentials straight away and an association with the current WWE Champion at his most memorable can't be bad. I think it would have been better if the announcers had gone with the shocked silence though as then there wouldn't have been any tripping over the fact that he hasn't got a name yet, plus it would have made it seem like a bigger deal if the moment was only soundtracked with the "Holy Shit" chants.

Good stuff overall. Buying tickets for Manchester and London TNA shows this week. I love Impact Wrestling Brutha! :love:

Was nice to have some TNA without Tenay(see what I did) even for a brief moment. But after all the shit I give Taz it did kind off miss someone bringing some light relief. U need a sraight play by play guy who can put over the serioisness or otherwise of angles and an ex wrestler to provide some educated insight and humour. Vince/jesse, gorilla/heenan, jr/lawler. Taz bumbles through it, but he raises a smile now and then. There could be other ex wrestlers who would are connected to TNA who could fill the role better than Taz given the opporunity. I thought it would have been a good opportunity to try a known face, if just to put Taz's nose out of joint and get him to pick his game up. Instead we got 3 straight men who knew what they were doing and professional but boring doing it. Who was the stand in at the beginning? And why did Tenay not start?

Who was the stand in at the beginning? And why did Tenay not start?

Todd Keneley is his name. He made his debut last week. He's been a commentator and/or ring announcer for Nu-Wrestling Evolution back in the day, Hulk Hogan's Celebrity Championship Wrestling, the Hulkamania Australian tour, NWA Championship Wrestling from Hollywood, etc. and he's even worked in several MMA feds. He's a Bischoff guy and reportedly it was Bischoff's call to make the change, the change being that from now on Borash & Keneley will be calling the first hour of Impact and Tenay & Taz will be handling the second hour (this week was an exception as Taz wasn't there due to the hurricane Sandy).

• Paid Members
Christian York was good, surprisingly so....as long as there was no close up on his face.

This might sound a very odd thing to say, but my opinion was that York's look facially was much better now he's considerably older and grizzled than when he was a fresh-faced kid in ECW, when he just looked a bit gormless, kind of like a male So Cal Val. Actually, I thought his look overall was much improved from a decade ago - he seems in much better shape, looked better in trunks and has got rid of those stupid arm wraps they used to wear that looked like black rubber gloves with the fingers cut off.

He seemed much improved in the ring too - of all the Gut Check competitors, he was definately the most impressive. Considering he very nearly beat Ion, and got a good crowd reaction, it would be interesting if they have the judges all turn him down, with the knock being that he's "too old" or "hasn't made it big yet, never will", then stick him under an Aces & 8s mask for a bit. Would be an interesting way to get him onto the roster, and he could provide decent cannon fodder bumping around for the TNA guys.

Speaking of gormless, does anyone know if Wes Brisco is any good in the ring? Because in every segment he's appeared in (without a mask on), the overwhelming impression I've taken away is "moron, probably a little slow..."

• Paid Members
Speaking of gormless, does anyone know if Wes Brisco is any good in the ring? Because in every segment he's appeared in (without a mask on), the overwhelming impression I've taken away is "moron, probably a little slow..."

From what I've read the words "so shit WWE actually sacked him, even though he's the son of one of the people who has Vince's ear" has been used. He's supposed to be teaming with Garrett as well, so I'm almost certain this is done for someones amusement. Never had the motivation to check him out myself, but you don't sac Jerry Brisco's son if he's got any potential.

Archived