Disney buy Lucasfilm for $4b

Astro Hollywood

• Moderators

Not a joke.http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-new...e-lucasfilm-ltd

Global leader in high-quality family entertainment agrees to acquire world-renowned Lucasfilm Ltd, including legendary STAR WARS franchise.Acquisition continues Disney's strategic focus on creating and monetizing the world's best branded content, innovative technology and global growth to drive long-term shareholder value.Lucasfilm to join company's global portfolio of world class brands including Disney, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel and ABC.STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.

I know we have movie news threads, but seeing as this is THE MOST INSANE THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED, it probably needs a thread of its own.*collapses*

Not a joke.http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-new...e-lucasfilm-ltd

Global leader in high-quality family entertainment agrees to acquire world-renowned Lucasfilm Ltd, including legendary STAR WARS franchise.Acquisition continues Disney's strategic focus on creating and monetizing the world's best branded content, innovative technology and global growth to drive long-term shareholder value.Lucasfilm to join company's global portfolio of world class brands including Disney, ESPN, Pixar, Marvel and ABC.STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 feature film targeted for release in 2015.

I know we have movie news threads, but seeing as this is THE MOST INSANE THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED, it probably needs a thread of its own.*collapses*
Holy fuck, that's come out of nowhere! A new Star Wars film in 3 years has excited me far more than it really should.

• Moderators

The frustrating thing with the terrible prequels (and any Star Wars productions going forwards) was that, you have this amazing universe to draw from, where there's unlimited potential for fantastic movies, but it's all in the hands of a horrible Rainman of a writer who doesn't understand human emotion or how to tell a story. Now though? Super exciting.

The frustrating thing with the terrible prequels (and any Star Wars productions going forwards) was that, you have this amazing universe to draw from, where there's unlimited potential for fantastic movies, but it's all in the hands of a horrible Rainman of a writer who doesn't understand human emotion or how to tell a story. Now though? Super exciting.

Aint it cool threw out the idea of having some of the Pixar brains work with Lucasfilm on the new films. A Star Wars film with Pixar sensibilities could be all kinds of awesome. Here's hoping for some of the expanded universe stuff with Han and Leia's kids, etc rather than new actors cast in the same roles continuing on from the end of Jedi.

• Paid Members

The frustrating thing with the terrible prequels

Speak for yourself - I love 'em. Possibly wouldn't so much if I didn't have the knowledge of what the future holds, but I love seeing the backstory necessary for episode 4 come about and Palpatine is brilliant.

• Paid Members

Wow, talk about out of the blue indeed! Whilst it doesn't entirely surprise me that Disney have bought out Lucasfilm, I certainly wasn't expecting a new Star Wars film anytime soon- if at all! As well as the brands mentioned above, there are a few others too- Jim Henson Creations for example.Good move. Star Wars are in good hands with Disney. I fucking love Disney.OOOH OOOH- just think of the sheer amount of Star Wars shit they can have at Disney World!

Speak for yourself - I love 'em. Possibly wouldn't so much if I didn't have the knowledge of what the future holds, but I love seeing the backstory necessary for episode 4 come about and Palpatine is brilliant.

Same here- although I didn't think much of Episode 1, I loved the other two.

Wow, talk about out of the blue indeed! Whilst it doesn't entirely surprise me that Disney have bought out Lucasfilm, I certainly wasn't expecting a new Star Wars film anytime soon- if at all! As well as the brands mentioned above, there are a few others too- Jim Henson Creations for example.Good move. Star Wars are in good hands with Disney. I fucking love Disney.OOOH OOOH- just think of the sheer amount of Star Wars shit they can have at Disney World!

Can have? There's already loads as it is!

• Paid Members

What would be the preferred film then? Another prequel when the Sith was in full swing and Yoda was jumping about as a regular Jedi Knight or a bridging episode between the birth of Darth Vader and the emergence of his incestuous kids?

• Moderators

The frustrating thing with the terrible prequels

Seen these? http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/I know there's subjectivity and shit, but from a pure factual standpoint, the prequels -- all three -- are horribly made films and horribly told stories. I'm sure most people won't want to spend an hour+ sitting through reviews of a film, but you'll never seen an ounce of worth in the prequels if you check out those redlettermedia links.

• Paid Members

What would be the preferred film then? Another prequel when the Sith was in full swing and Yoda was jumping about as a regular Jedi Knight or a bridging episode between the birth of Darth Vader and the emergence of his incestuous kids?

I was always under the impression that if there would be more Star Wars films, it would be a new trilogy after episode 6. Which given the next film is Episode 7 sounds like that is the case.

• Moderators

I was always under the impression that if there would be more Star Wars films, it would be a new trilogy after episode 6. Which given the next film is Episode 7 sounds like that is the case.
Yeah. There are no loose threads from the original trilogy, and despite all the extended universe stuff that tells the story of Luke and Friends post-ROTJ, this is the opportunity to kickstart an entirely new story in the same setting.

Archived