Sign in to follow this  
Nick James

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Version 2!

GIMP is fucking shite, isn't it?

Curse my bro for losing my copy of cs3 (so kindly donated by a forum member, in fact) and I really hope the one I've got on download now works properly tomorrow!

Had my first ever electric shock last night plugging in an antique radio. Wasn't nearly as bad as I've always imagined a mains shock would be. I was a bit tipsy though, so maybe that made it less painful.

I

Curse my bro for losing my copy of cs3 (so kindly donated by a forum member, in fact) and I really hope the one I've got on download now works properly tomorrow!

I believe that was me. If if doesnt work let me know and i'll send something your way again :thumbsup:

I'm thinking of trying my hand at a bit of an art type thing. It will be shit and probably no fun as I'm really crap at anything like that.

It does raise a question, which is if I was using, for example, water colours what do I need to look out for with what I draw on?

Also If I'm using an unusual medium what's the best way to preserve it should I want to to maintain colour and prevent any odour? would a simple clear varnish work?

There are some major art boffins on here I know, come on boffins, lets get this sorted.

bigtalk.jpg

Water colours is all about the paper you're using. If you're going to use just cheap paper to have a go with first wet it and stretch it first (Tape it to a board and wet the paper, then let it dry. There's plenty of tutorials online if you want to see how to do it properly. You can pick up half decent paper for water colours quite cheap from The Works now.

What do you mean by unusual medium? If you're talking about pastels or charcoal or something you can buy odourless fixers in a spray can to spray over it. If you don't have any you can use hairspray. you can also buy clear varnish, mix it with water and ideally spray it on lightly to coat.

It all depends on what you're actually doing to be honest. Anything more specific give me a shout and i'll try and point you in the right direction :thumbsup:

I'm wanting to get back into drawing regularly, and am really keen to start drawing caricatures but find it really hard to strike a balance between something with a good likeness, and something like just looks like the most basic portrait imaginable.

It dosent help that i used to be a fairly decent artist, and expect to be able to pick up where i left off when i was 16, so the slightest error has me behaving like a stroppy teen, tearing it up and shouting "I'm shit at this".

It was indeed! I wasn't sure if you wanted your name associated with filthy pirating so I left you out of it.. heh..

Cheers for the offer. Installing now, so I'll know soon enough if it's working or not!

I'd love to have a go, but it's unlikely I'll get the chance. What's the big scare?

You really should post that photo. :)

It's really a mixture of different things. The thing that fucked me up most wasn't any actual visual scares, but the part where the little red light that you're supposed to follow to go around the place in the dark suddenly went off, and a wall appeared behind me, meaning I was basically boxed in, in complete 100% darkness. Every way I turned I hit a wall and after maybe 20 seconds I started to freak out.

There's some other cool stuff like a truck coming through a fake wall and stopping inches from where you are and shit like that. If you're ever in the area I'd certainly recommend it.

As for the photo, it will remain firmly in my home office where no one can ever see it :laugh:

I believe that was me. If if doesnt work let me know and i'll send something your way again :thumbsup:

It was indeed! I wasn't sure if you wanted your name associated with filthy pirating so I left you out of it.. heh..

Cheers for the offer. Installing now, so I'll know soon enough if it's working or not!

It seems to be working... some of the comments on teh torrent said it expired soon after installation for other peeps so I'mma keep you on standby! Heh.. Nah, should be alright to get the job I need to to now finished anyway. I'm just not going to close it or restart my computer til I'm done!

Also, I d/l'ed CS5 (having only used that CS3 you did for me and not upgraded since) and the quick selection tool has fairly BLOWN MY TINY MIND.

It is awesome... though I'm sure that's just some amateur hour shit you don't even need, it's made what I'm doing a damn sight easier.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I'm having the same Gimp woes. My trusty version of Photoshop went down with the old PC, so I switched to GIMP which people say is a fine free alternative. Is it fuck. It's unusable shit. Since moaning about it on Twitter, I've been shown a couple of plugins/alternatives to GIMP which I haven't tried yet, so maybe they'll do the trick, but at the moment I'm feeling a bit lost, because I (apparently) used Photoshop a lot, so it's like scratching at a limb that got chopped off on a railway track, while also not being able to quickly edit images and shit at the drop of a hat.

Sitting at my desk in the middle of some extensive process mapping and remembered this little gem, christ knows how my brain works sometimes.

rude-kid.jpg

Couldnt find my favourite Rude Kid, where he gave the response SOAPY TIT WANK!

It seems to be working... some of the comments on teh torrent said it expired soon after installation for other peeps so I'mma keep you on standby! Heh.. Nah, should be alright to get the job I need to to now finished anyway. I'm just not going to close it or restart my computer til I'm done!

Also, I d/l'ed CS5 (having only used that CS3 you did for me and not upgraded since) and the quick selection tool has fairly BLOWN MY TINY MIND.

It is awesome... though I'm sure that's just some amateur hour shit you don't even need, it's made what I'm doing a damn sight easier.

Theres options to stop it automatically downloading updates. Make sure you do that, also block it sending anything over the internet because Adobe have a habit of locking up software that way. CS5 is great. Work recently got me CS6 and there are so many things that blew me away, you can do full 3d scenes in it with cameras and lighting and imported 3d models, its insane

Cool.. I will have a look around and see how to do that. I read something about this in the comments on the torrent, but it was incomplete; I'm sure there must be a good step by step out there.

Cool.. I will have a look around and see how to do that. I read something about this in the comments on the torrent, but it was incomplete; I'm sure there must be a good step by step out there.

Try this for a start Stop Updates

I'm not the most outgoing of blokes, and have zero luck with the ladies most of the time, but managed to pull a lass a couple of years back who was a mate of a girl leaving the place I work at (she came to her going away party).

Fast forward to now and I'm sat watching Come Dine With Me, which is in Warwickshire this week, which on its own made me look up from my laptop while they flicked up various images of the area that I frequent often. My jaw hit the floor when the lass mentioned above appeared as one of the 5 contestants. Not a biggie for most people on here I guess, but it was sure a suprise.

Had to get that off my chest.

I'm not the most outgoing of blokes, and have zero luck with the ladies most of the time, but managed to pull a lass a couple of years back who was a mate of a girl leaving the place I work at (she came to her going away party).

Fast forward to now and I'm sat watching Come Dine With Me, which is in Warwickshire this week, which on its own made me look up from my laptop while they flicked up various images of the area that I frequent often. My jaw hit the floor when the lass mentioned above appeared as one of the 5 contestants. Not a biggie for most people on here I guess, but it was sure a suprise.

Had to get that off my chest.

If it's the same Warwickshire one, which I doubt as his was one of those all in one hour episodes, my mate won it. The cheesy quizmaster fella.