Raw discussion 29/10/12

AshC

I think its been mentioned that Wade was once the Leader of the Nexus but not that he and Randy had a thing. I personally think Vince and whoever else writes the storylines need to let the wrestlers have a bit more freedom, not in a do anything you want kind of way but give them a bit more freedom to be there gimmicks. Most are there cos WWE saw something in them let them be wrestlers/entertainers what ever you want to call it. WWE also seem to be scared to go through with angles that might bring them unwanted attention from outside media. Surely they can make quality Monday TV that can keep the youngsters and us older lot entertained. Most of the writers are from successful sitcoms and movies, I think sure I heard that some where on here

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always got the impression most writers are failed sitcom writers hence ending up in the WWE.

Whats the position in terms of bookers? Does someone book the matches and the writers piece the stories together or are the writers influences the programmes in terms of who works with who? It just feels like the business would be far better off with bookers rather than writers. I also think there is far too much TV time to write or book which gives them no chance of keeping feuds fresh but its probably all about TV and ad revenue I assume.

But then he'd be required to serve hard times for taking credit for Bossmans work.

Bossman himself would administer it. Give him something to do at Elimination Chamber between winning the Rumble and taking the title at Mania.

Christ, how foolish of me. That scenario is impossible. I forgot... Ryback is winning the Rumble.

Impossible. Ryback's dead.

I always got the impression most writers are failed sitcom writers hence ending up in the WWE.

Whats the position in terms of bookers? Does someone book the matches and the writers piece the stories together or are the writers influences the programmes in terms of who works with who? It just feels like the business would be far better off with bookers rather than writers. I also think there is far too much TV time to write or book which gives them no chance of keeping feuds fresh but its probably all about TV and ad revenue I assume.

Have you even watched wrestling in the last three years? They write fuck all for anyone outside the top two feuds. All they do for the rest of the card is book matches, and it's shit. Every match has been done already, and unmemorably, because all they do is book Wrestler A vs Wrestler B. In contrast to air_raid, I think WWE are better off NOT always reminding people "this is the millionth time these two have wrestled."

The writing team might as well just be Michael Hayes and a hat full of wrestler names for all the writing they do.

What I mean is it would be better using traditional wrestling bookers like all companies did throughout the years until the last decade. I agree, its shit how they do it nowadays. I just dont understand why people with no wrestling background have any influence over the product.

I just dont understand why people with no wrestling background have any influence over the product.

Well they don't. Or if they do, it doesn't show. Blaming the failed sitcom writers is an easy thing to do, but the problem is that most of them take the "LET THEM WRESTLE! GIVE THEM ENOUGH MATCH TIME" approach that people on forums do. And the heads of creative are people like Stephanie McMahon, who grew up in wrestling, and Michael Hayes who has been around it for decades. Dusty Rhodes sometimes as well, and none of them are foolproof. They're all far enough in the bubble that they need people who aren't. They only seem to get people whose research into wrestling is reading the ROH boards or playing EWR though.

• Paid Members

Its wrestling people who hired those non-wrestling people, so the blame falls with the wrestling people at the end of it. What is a "wrestling person" anyway these days? The biggest period of business had Russo (a magazine editor) and that Chris Kreski (a TV writer) as the head writers. The big decisions that die on their arse usually come from Vince, Stephanie, Michael Hayes and Triple H anyway.

• Paid Members

Saying they need wrestling people to write is like saying they need to hire everyone from ROH. They need to hire people that are any good, and like Pitcos said, do some fucking writing for the majority of the roster. Even the main event stuff on Raw this week was lazy. If you can't find room in a 3-hour show to do something semi-interesting like have Foley and Heyman recruiting people for their teams backstage, what are you doing having three hours anyway?

I'm meandering onto a different point here, but the discrepancy between the timeslot and the writing is glaring sometimes. It seems pretty clear that the extra hour was almost foisted on them by USA (which I seem to remember was something USA had been pushing for a while - maybe Vince just ran out of excuses), and that the writers weren't ready for it then and aren't now. They've got time to do interesting, interlinking stuff involving loads of guys on the roster, and they've just gone "Nah, fuck it, stick a quarter of an hour on every match".

EDIT: Thinking about it, they could do with someone who wrote on the earlier series of Friends or something like that. Someone who knows how to keep two or three distinct, interesting stories going in an episode, having them interlink at key points to reinforce character traits and what-have-you.

• Paid Members

As I said earlier I think a lot of wrestlers can be generally pretty good with little continuity and things when left to their own devices. But they are equally to blame if they don't make a point of doing everything they can to allow every aspect of their character and personality to come across on tv. On air_raids point about commentators putting over certain aspects, I don't think they can be too to blame. They are fed stuff in their ear for the most part on what to push and get over and they do often mention little quirks like air_raid is after but, I remember one commentator (perhaps JBL) speaking out about how no wrestlers come and approach him asking for him to say certain things to enhance the match or develop their character. If they don't make the effort to do that, they are to blame. Although I don't think Jerry Lawler helps with his clear dis-interest.

Saying they need wrestling people to write is like saying they need to hire everyone from ROH.

Nobody said that.

The point about keeping stories going is an interesting one. They bang on about episodic television yet dont seem to have a clue how to make episodic television.

ShortOrderCook makes some good points there too about wrestlers being responsible for their characters.

Saying they need wrestling people to write is like saying they need to hire everyone from ROH.

Nobody said that.

The point about keeping stories going is an interesting one. They bang on about episodic television yet dont seem to have a clue how to make episodic television.

And you think hiring more wrestling people is going to lead to more people having a clue how to make episodic television? That's bollocks. There isn't anyone. People talk shit all the time about how sitcom writers and whoever else can't understand how a wrestling show works without also going, well actually, if we use that stupid logic, that means wrestling people can't understand how a TV show works. The WWE has both, wrestling minds and experianced TV hands.

I know Butch, I think thats where the problem lies creatively but if more TV time means more money thats all a business will be concerned with. Its just so repetitive with the amount of hours they need to cover.

People saying that wrestlers need to take charge of their own character is all well and good but they are probably reluctant to make any waves. These days they have to watch what they say and any fuck up can mean their job or at least their push.

Like when Jericho trampled that flag or when Tensai did that really ill judged tout. They were suspended or basically made to job out to everyone on the roster.

It's not like the old days where if you were a heel you could actually act like a right dastardly bastard and push the envelope a bit. Hell apart from the odd exception most heels don't even diss the towns they are wrestling in anymore (ultimate cheap heat).

I dunno I guess they are scrutinized a bit closer these days than they ever used to be. It must be pretty daunting. Wanting to get your character over but not wanting to piss off the powers that be. Only people like Punk who genuinely doesn't seem to care (if propaganda is to be believed) will go that bit extra.

why cant the writers give them the jist of what they want ie direction things that need mentioned and put over and leave the rest up to the wrestlers. I refuse to believe that wwe cant make entertaining shows every week even if they have lots of tv hrs to fill.

Archived