Raw discussion 29/10/12

AshC

Raw was terrible. I can't think of a time when they've had such a boring roster. Nobody stands out. They trade wins and losses on a weekly basis and nobody gives a shit.

They have a huge roster of talent they can't make interesting yet they had about 6 segments with AJ and Vicki. Drives me mad!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something needs to be done can't Vickie's fucking voice, its pitch is getting to the point where its unlistenable.

RAW was ok, nothing special and too predictable in bits. Once upon a time I was a big Foley fan, but he has no place on a wrestling show any more, not even as comedy fodder forget being involved in a main event (even in a non-wrestling role). For a fleeting (hopefully) moment I thought Lesnar might be on Team Punk but no luck there. I feel a little like they missed an opportunity here though, having Punk and Heyman trying to recruit for Team Punk and no one being interested could have been amusing TV.

I enjoyed the 3MB stuff, I really like them as a group, though what is going on with Mahal's accent? One minute he's got a heavily accented Indian accent and then he slips back in to the Canadian accent. Just have him speak in his normal voice

• Paid Members
I liked CM Punk talking about how he won the Title at Survivor Series before turning round, looking at Alberto Del Rio and mouthing the words "No offence" before continuing.

I absolutely love the little intelligent things like this that can be dropped into an angle or storyline to make things more real and acknowledge that some viewers have a longer attention span than four weeks (or in 'Mania season, "since the Royal Rumble").

I don't particularly want to turn this into a Punk bumfest, but the only thing that comes to mind instantly is the fact that when they told him they were going to program him with Orton, he suggested they incorporate the backstory of Orton costing him the World title in 2008. That Punk had to remind the writers of that - it's alleged that none of them remembered that fact - well, it's a joke really. Hey ho.

There is another one, I want to say also connected to a Survivor Series team, where a four or five are stood in the ring presented as united, but two of them that had previously been feuding keep a distance from each other and give each other the odd wary glance. It's escaped me for now.

• Paid Members

Wrestlers themselves are generally great with things like that. Wrestling is often knocked for not knowing how to be subtle, which isn't really true. It can be great with subtleties but generally requires being over the top and in your face for its audience. The Cena/Punk story this year was full of great touches like that this year, some subtle and some not so subtle.

That isn't known as part of the storyline though, is it? As far as we're concerned he's simply a referee that AJ brought in.

True, but I meant he's capable of taking a bump. Unlike Tim White.

Yeah, in real life. In kayfabe, he'd be the most double hard referee ever to come out the night after being launched into a cell and give an explanation of his actions. Would have ruined any suspension of disbelief for him to be on Raw.

• Paid Members

To be fair, he isn't a referee. He's a wrestler who they are pretty high on and most likely will be working matches on Raw and Smackdown regularly in the next few years. He shouldn't be judged on the same level as Tim White. Like that bloke Vince brought in at WrestleMania 19 and he was so hard he took a load of Hogan's punches without getting knocked down. He punched Ryback in the balls, so its obvious he's not a bloke they got from the Job Centre. He's a wrestler masking as a referee. Probably someone Heyman hired as insurance.

Should have been on the show though. He should have had a neck brace on and got David Otunga involved to sue Ryback. Just so we the audience knew he was in a crippled state.

Yeah, but they haven't done the reveal yet, so we're not to know (Even though a quick search on Google of Brad Maddox brings up his FCW matches). Besides, it's not like they haven't done the crooked referee angle with non-wrestlers before (The Hebners, Nick Patrick, probably others). Sylvan Grenier was built like a brick shithouse though. Maddox is a cruiserweight who barely looks bigger than the average ref.

I would have liked to see a "via satellite" update from the hospital personally, but it'd probably come across too comedic for a serious angle.

• Paid Members
But then he'd be required to serve hard times for taking credit for Bossmans work.

Bossman himself would administer it. Give him something to do at Elimination Chamber between winning the Rumble and taking the title at Mania.

Christ, how foolish of me. That scenario is impossible. I forgot... Ryback is winning the Rumble.

I don't particularly want to turn this into a Punk bumfest, but the only thing that comes to mind instantly is the fact that when they told him they were going to program him with Orton, he suggested they incorporate the backstory of Orton costing him the World title in 2008. That Punk had to remind the writers of that - it's alleged that none of them remembered that fact - well, it's a joke really. Hey ho.

But then when you have newer fans tuning in all the time, they're not going to know what happened three years prior.

• Paid Members
But then when you have newer fans tuning in all the time, they're not going to know what happened three years prior.

You've missed the point entirely.

(1) It's utterly ridiculous that the writers had forgotten something that happened between two of their top guys three years before in a situation that involved one of the world titles changing hands. The fans remember that kind of continuity, why can people that make their living from it not? It's unprofessional and shows a lack of giving a shit.

(2) So for new fans, they should ignore what has happened in the past? No, they should do what they did in that exact scenario with Punk/Orton having a past - have one or both of the wrestlers talk about it, even show it on telly.

I'll give you an example - when I first started watching wrestling I saw a fair few matches with Tito Santana and The Model wrestling each other and on opposite sides of tag matches and the occasional six man. In every match where the two tussled, the commentary team alluded to their past. If they hadn't have done this, it would have meant no more to me than a throwaway Hercules vs Akeem match for instance. "Why are these pair fighting?" "They just ARE." No, when I started watching, I picked up immediately that Martel and Santana had been a tag team, tag team champions in fact, but it turned sour and Martel turned on Tito. It adds depth and meaning to what's happening.

Just an aside, during the current Miz/Kingston dispute for instance, it wouldn't kill to mention they previously feuded over the United States title in 2009. Miz relieved Kofi of that particular title which Kingston never regained - the shoe is currently on the other foot. You sometimes get these seemingly "eternal rivals" where people end up at each others throats on and off for years. Tito always ended up running against Martel when their other program fizzled out. Shawn Michaels and Davey Boy seemed to always end up having high profile matches (Shawn won three different titles from Smithers in fact). They could make so much more of what's happening with a little more attention to detail. For instance, have the commentators even once mentioned during the recent Orton/Barratt matches, the grief Wade gave Orton when he was leading the Nexus?

Archived