SPOILERS

King Pitcos

TNA's official Facebook is the fucking worst for it. They post photos of people holding the title literally seconds after they've happened and will post TONS of updates about PPV results. I remember at Destination X, they posted about 10 minutes after with "THIS JUST HAPPENED! #ARIESWINS" or some shite like along with a thousand photos of him celebrating in the ring with tickertape, putting over how this was the biggest moment in the history of ever, whilst also spoiling it for everyone who didn't watch it live.Apart from them and Botchamania, I have very few friends on Facebook who like wrestling, so I barely ever stumble on PPV spoilers, touch wood.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I wasn't best pleased to get on Facebook one day to keep up with the latest installment of my uncle and aunt's too-melodramatic-for-Eastenders meltdown only to find the following as the first post on my wall:Lesnarspoiled.jpgI would've loved to be caught by surprise when watching Raw that night. I'd been offline for a couple of months so had no clue that there had been any talk at all about his return.

Edit: I've said spoiled a few times there. Should it be spoilt?

In my opinion you're fine in those examples to use either. Traditionally we Brits use the t-forms much more commonly than the Americans and more often as a verb too (the Americans tend to limit it just to adjectives) but the t-forms and ed-forms are equalising in usage now. (Here's a graph for burnt/burned in British English.)

Cheers, Ronnie. But what's a verb?

Not really a spoiler as such but a pet hate of mine is falling asleep watching wrestling, then waking up just after someone wins and their music goes off. For some reason every Wrestlemania I wake up to the Undertaker's post match celebration, absolutely ruin it for myself then have to re-watch it the next day.

I've done that loads, particularly as a kid. WrestleMania 12 was one. Watching it back the next day was a right slog, knowing the score already.

• Paid Members

The shitty little website that Matt Boone used to report for back in 2001 (can't remember what it was called) gave fake spoilers for the go-home Smackdown before Wrestlemania 17 which really pissed me off when I found out they were fake. They reported that Vince was in the ring and introduced Shawn Michaels as the man that will be in his corner during his match with Shane at the PPV. Shane, on the titantron, responded by claiming in his corner will be 'Da Man, and you're next!'. I was excited like a schoolboy with his first boner when I read this.

• Paid Members

My missus somehow got an A* in French without knowing that too.

WHAT? How did she manage that without knowing which verbs make up Mrs Vandertramp????Monter, rester, sortir..... I'm out.

• Paid Members

WHAT? How did she manage that

They were coached to pass exams. She got an A* in cooking (or domestic technology, I think they called it) in spite of the fact that she'd burn the cornflakes if I let her near the kitchen.I took her to France in 2007 when we popped to Toulouse to visit friends that I hadn't seen since leaving the country five years before and she was quite capable of saying "I'm Ronette and I'm 12 years old. I'm wearing a white shirt and a tie. I don't like boys because they're stupid" over a decade after having last spoken French, so burned into her head was that sentence for her orals.

Monter, rester, sortir..... I'm out.

Venir, aller, na

• Paid Members

Other than retourner instead of revenir (IIRC) then yeah, that's it.I'm still struggling to get around the idea of "present perfect tense" that I was taught in my TEFL training since I've had it drilled into me as a kid that perfect = completed in the past.

• Paid Members

Other than retourner instead of revenir (IIRC) then yeah, that's it.

On that basis there should be another 'r', since rentrer is entrer with a prefix like revenir. Hmm. That's gonna bother me all night now.

I'm still struggling to get around the idea of "present perfect tense" that I was taught in my TEFL training since I've had it drilled into me as a kid that perfect = completed in the past.

You just have to register it as a quirk of English. It's absolutely illogical to use it with reference to an ongoing present but totally natural to us to do so, and coming out with something like "I am waiting for the bus since an hour ago" would mark you as being over here to take all the jobs and benefits. I can't think of any other language (admittedly I know only a handful of the 6000 out there) which takes English's approach rather than using a present form in those situations. I pity the students having to get their head around it, and then having to decide whether they should actually use a continuous form instead of the perfect anyway. ("I've been waiting here all day for a bus" compared to "I've waited all my life for this moment.")

• Paid Members

THIRTEEN TENSES.

Really?! Might be a tad ambitious to think about naming them all. Still, here goes:- Present simple- Present continuous- Present perfect- Present perfect continuous- Future- Future continuous- Future perfect (I presume it's called that - I normally call it an anterior future)- Future perfect continuous- Preterite- Past continuous ("I was thinking of the tenses", for example)- Pluperfect- Pluperfect continuousGah, it seems I'm missing one but I can't think what it could be.

Not including things like conditional, imperative.

Those things are called "moods" ... and some of them have tenses of their own too, just to complicate things.

God, I wish I was learning to teach German.

Wash your mouth out! That language has caused more wars in this household than the people who speak it, because my missus speaks it to advanced level and won't be corrected from thinking it beautiful.

• Paid Members

Der den des dem, die die der der.....

Here are the 13 tenses as I've been taught them :

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Simple present

Continuous present

Perfect simple present

Perfect continuous present

Simple past

Continuous past

Perfect simple past

Perfect continuous past

Simple future

Continuous future

Perfect simple future

Perfect continuous future

Future with "going to"

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

Going back to spoilers, there is a new horrible form of spoilers where tweets and photos of people at airports ruin something before it happens, which are nearly impossible to avoid unless you avoid the internet at all the day of a show. Especially Rumble time.

• Paid Members

The day after Survivor Series '99 a kid at school told me Big Show won the WWF title and Austin got run over.

My abiding memory of this kind of thing also relates to that incident, but the reveal of the culprit. I remember spending all week completely avoiding the internet, only to walk into a chip shop during Friday's lunch break and hear some year 11 kids talking about Rikishi having done it for The Rock. Bastards.

Archived