Blogs Thread

Keith Houchen

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

What's the best way to generate traffic for a blog, to our more experienced bloggers

Be good, and be consistent. If people know they'll have new stuff to look at the next time they go back (or an archive of great old stuff), then they probably will. If you've got one post every six months about how "Right. Time to blog regularly, starting... NOW." then they won't. Ronnie's spot on with the coverage thing. If you go more general with your content, hypothetically, it could appeal to everyone, but then you're shouting over a billion other general topic websites to get anyone to look, but if you go with something specific, you've got a smaller target audience (probably still massive unless you go super-niche), and they're more likely to find you. To throw specific numbers around for an idea, my blog's been up since 2009, and pretty consistently updated throughout -- 216 posts in total at this point -- but it didn't really catch on until this year. Last year I had 14,000 hits for the entire year, while so far in 2012, I've had over 105,000. I didn't really change what I was doing, but one thing (cunty phrase, but) went mildly viral, which seemed to really bump me up Google's rankings and bring in a ton of new readers, causing other stuff to go viral too, and new posts to get read a ton more reads and so on. It's all down to people sharing. If you're writing the kind of thing that people will post on forums to amuse their mates, or on Twitter or Facebook, you'll probably do okay, because that kind of linking quickly becomes a self-perpetuating cycle. With that in mind, share buttons are a must, for Twitter and Facebook at least. Google+ is a wasteland.

• Paid Members
I was going to have wordpress but I didn't know how to install it. I'm sub-Richie when it comes to doing things on the computer.

This is me too. I've been contemplating a blog for a while myself, as I'm clueless on setting up and maintaining a website on my own. I was originally just going to be using tumblr as I'd be looking to post a lot of videos and photos too and it seems a piece of piss soaked cake to manage. Am I living in the stone ages using tumblr though?

I was going to have wordpress but I didn't know how to install it. I'm sub-Richie when it comes to doing things on the computer.

This is me too. I've been contemplating a blog for a while myself, as I'm clueless on setting up and maintaining a website on my own. I was originally just going to be using tumblr as I'd be looking to post a lot of videos and photos too and it seems a piece of piss soaked cake to manage. Am I living in the stone ages using tumblr though?

I'd say Tumblr is a lot more "current" than a blog, but seems geared more towards posting gifs and such rather than walls of text.

• Paid Members

I'd say Tumblr is a lot more "current" than a blog, but seems geared more towards posting gifs and such rather than walls of text.

Yeah that was something I meant to address actually and what puts me off it. I don't want to post just pics but written posts, pictures, videos. Which it's all set up to do and really easy but people only seem to use for it the reasons you mention which makes me think I'm better off with something else. Thought it was a lot less popular and used with the growth of twitter though.

Ian, you should definitely do one. Some of your ideas and topics you use here are ideal for it and I'm sure wouldn't struggle to gain followers eventually.

• Paid Members
You could just copy and paste your wrestler threads from here to start with, Ian. Call the blog "Shit on the market."

This is a tremendous idea for a blog, actually, Ian. You should definitely do this.

Archived