All Star UK WrestleMania 2001 programme

IANdrewDiceClay

All Star in Scarborough right around Wrestlemania X7 time was my first ever wrestling show, and featured Marty Jannetty and the fake Kane they've got there! Still got my photo with Jannetty somewhere.

I was at the Futurist Theatre too. Proper shit show with a bizarre match pitting Marty Jannetty against a roided up American. The consisted of both wrestlers staring at each other for about 20 minutes? I was that bored waiting for something to happen that i went for a quick pint & when i came back nothing had still happened!This was a very busy & lucrative time for Dixon, Although there were numerous stories of backstage fights & drug abuse. Skull Murphy & American Avalanche had a fight, As did Nagasaki & The Cuban Assassin. Jannetty was doing circuits of the Blackpool tower to wear off the symptoms of amphetamine abuse & it was not uncommon to see a wrestler actually fall asleep on the tag rope! Happy Days :D

Did Bulldog ever tour ASW or with anyone else in the UK after his last WWE run?

I went to a show in a leisure centre in Nottingham in 2001 that promised appearances by Davey Boy and Jim Neidhart. No Bulldog on the night but The Anvil was there in all his glory. Still have the polaroid we took with him during the interval... Whether Davey Boy was supposed to be there and no showed or it was just a deeply cynical marketing ploy I have no idea.

• Paid Members

He wasn't ever supposed to be there. There was a story in the Sunderland Echo in 2001 where representatives (I always assumed it was Keith Hart) of Davey Boy Smith and Bret Hart were going mental because they'd been advertised all over town as appearing at the Empire. There was talk of Watchdog getting called in. We didn't even get Jim Neidhart. We did get Earthquake and UK Undertaker, though.

• Paid Members

Jim Neidhart was touring over here at the time, wasn't he? I remember seeing him at a Hammerlock show that year. I remember Steve Lytton proudly announcing that Hammerlock were now part of the second biggest wrestling promotion in the world.

Archived