The Form Guide. #1

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Not enough discussion threads on the forum these days, so I'm going to start doing a series of threads every now and again, discussing how a wrestler is fairing currently and how you think he'll be doing in the future, positive or negative. Thought I'd start with one of our own, Magnus. You basically just jot down your opinion of his attributes and what you see in his future. Thought it might be fun at least.

Magnus:

BrutusMagnus.png

Wrestling Ability:

Promos:

The Look:

Star Quality:

Could he improve on anything?

Where Do You See Him in 18 months time?

Wrestling Ability: Still needs something that makes him not like any other guy, i don't know what it is but i mean when he was doing the Cloverleaf that could have went somewhere.

Promos: Seems fairly capable on the microphone so his promos are good.

The Look: Looks the part with the beard, however i think it should be more similar to what Jeff Hardy did before and just from the 'burns to the chin and no tash.

Could he improve on anything? - He needs something unique. He debuted as a gladiator (to which he was technically) and is now Mr TV or Business or something, his gimmick needs to be better.

Where Do You See Him in 18 months time? - Still around TNA's Midcard

(I took star quality out as i can't think of anything for it)

Wrestling Ability: Nothing standout but he's equally adapt at playing the 'big man' role despite not really being a 'big man' but he can do all the things you'd expect. He needs a few trademark moves just to set him apart. I genuinely couldn't tell you off the top of my head many of his moves other than the top rope elbow finish and maybe a high knee in the corner.

Promos: I've never seen anything bad from him, but I've never seen anything absolutely amazing. I'm surprised they haven't played him as an 'Alfie' type character, you know the Michael Caine/Jude Law film. Which brings me to the next point...

The Look: He's got it. Good size, good build, he's a bloody handsome chap. I've said it before that Magnus is a WWE guy in the making. He just has the look of what WWE likes at the moment, without being too much of a cookie cutter OVW/FCW trainee.

Star Quality: Yes, given the right angle. I think if you put him against the likes of Aries, Bully Ray, Roode, Storm & Hardy he wouldn't look out of place in the TNA Main Event. Moreso than the RVD's and the Mr Andersons who always seem to be there or there abouts. A good push of wins, focus on his character and in ring 'style' and you're onto a winner.

Could he improve on anything? An established character. Again I'd go with the 'Alfie' style character. I know the playboy/ladies man angle has been done to death in recent years but Magnus could pull it off. They did a few Youtube videos during his team with Desmond Wolfe in a shopping Mall and he played a blinder, despite the silly hat and glasses. The character had a base to work off. The 'Mr TV' thing could work if they develop it further. There's legs in it and Magnus is young enough to improve. Fuck he's only 25, a lot of people don't even make it onto TV before their 30's...

Where Do You See Him in 18 months time? I'd love to see him with the TNA World title in 18 months time, but failing that a move to the WWE isn't out of the question. If you look at the Cody Rhodes character, before the Face Mask, Magnus could have slotted into that role easily and done it justice. He could fill WWE's midcard nicely but he'd be better suited to a run at the top of TNA in a year or so

Magnus:

BrutusMagnus.png

Wrestling Ability:

He's technically sound, he's smooth, he just hasn't found his "style" yet, something that's memorable. He shows early signs of instinctively understanding about playing the crowd and making everything mean something though.

Promos:

Fine, except as people have said he doesn't really have a strong character. When he's being arrogant he definitely seems more relaxed. His English accent isn't as out of place as some of the Brits.

The Look:

Great. Looks strong and dangerous. Agree with Smegma that he's a WWE type wrestler looks-wise.

Star Quality:

Not sure yet. He reminds me a bit of Steve Austin in the early 90s, he's clearly got all the attributes of a star, he just hasn't found the thing to tie it all together.

Could he improve on anything?

Just keep doing what he's going, and work on his talking.

Where Do You See Him in 18 months time?

He'll either be a solid upper carder or in WWE. If his contract is up in the next 18 months I can see him getting a training contract with WWE. Otherwise, he's still very young and can afford to keep learning his craft in TNA. He never seems to suffer from his losses, which is a sign of someone who's getting over.

Not enough discussion threads on the forum these days, so I'm going to start doing a series of threads every now and again, discussing how a wrestler is fairing currently and how you think he'll be doing in the future, positive or negative. Thought I'd start with one of our own, Magnus. You basically just jot down your opinion of his attributes and what you see in his future. Thought it might be fun at least.

Magnus:

BrutusMagnus.png

Wrestling Ability: Nothing spectacular. Solid enough I guess. Not one to stand out on a show, but that can be the case without a gimmick or much of a storyline. I agree he needs a better moveset. He was a bit cheesy when I saw him work as a face, perhaps from working UK crowds as a face.

Promos: Good enough, someone you can give promo time. He doesn't have enough in the way of a character to really stand out.

The Look: Great look. Good physique, handsome, looks credible.

Star Quality: His look has half the battle won, but people need to have a reason to care about him. He's fine in a midcard role but I think they want to push him further especially with the relatively big UK presence.

Could he improve on anything? He's a great prospect but he needs to make sure he doesn't remain that until becoming too old to be that. As was said, his moveset is forgettable. He could perhaps do with interacting and doing more between moves and being a bit larger than life.

Where Do You See Him in 18 months time? Upper-midcard at best. I'm not sure he'll be in the main event by that time but I think they need to get the ball rolling on making a big deal of him. At 25, he's in an excellent position. He has most of the tools, he just needs more direction with a programme and different relationships with wrestlers. It's hard to break through when you have so many vying for the top spot. In somewhere like WWE, they're struggling for main event heels whereas in TNA there are a fair few who can step up.

Wrestling Ability - He has got ability but he needs a more defined style. Give him a few signature moves so people can connect the moves to him.Promos - I enjoyed his mike work from back when he was the Oblivion on Gladiators. It's a shame he couldn't use that gimick as I think it could've worked. I do think he's a better promo guy than some "bigger" names on the TNA roster. Look - He looks the part.Star Quality - For me he has star quality and with a little work he could go far.Could he improve on anything? - His move set needs to stand out a bit more with a couple of named signature moves. Other than that with a bit of luck he could go far.Where Do You See Him in 18 months time? - Probably where he is now mid card TNA or lower/mid WWE. Which is a shame I certainly think he could hold down an upper slot in TNA he has the tools he just needs to get noticed more.

• Paid Members

Good idea for a thread.

Wrestling Ability: Solid, but nothing spectacular. However, has shown glimpses of being able to tell some decent stories in the ring without going overboard.

Promos: Actually quite good. Comes across as natural, charismatic and he's clearly improving with each chance he gets on the mike.

The Look: Probably his best asset. The guy wouldn't look out of place in WWE, and carries himself like a star. The women seem to like him too. Also, his size means he looks a threat no matter what he's doing.

Star Quality: Has a lot of it. Natural physical charisma, decent on the mike, carries himself well.

Could he improve on anything? A few things. He needs a hook, other than being just "that British jerk" - he's far too generic right now. Hopefully this "Mr. TV" gimmick he hinted at the BFG go-home show might turn into something. Also, needs to improve on his storytelling - he's decent, but just needs a little something more. And finally, needs a definitive finisher. He dropped his old Gladiator-based "Tormentum" ages ago, but almost every move he's used to finish a match recently hasn't finished his opponents in others. His Michinoku Driver is pretty good, as are his top rope elbow and Texas cloverleaf, so it's not as if he has nothing.

Where Do You See Him in 18 months time? He's the type of wrestler whose fortunes are significantly affected by writing, so if he's written well for, he could reach the main in TNA. If badly, he'll get released, even with the UK connection TNA has (especially if they're taking on a new British wrestler from the Bootcamp).

Archived