The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

The British Bulldog happens to be Johnny Smith (how many kids were caught out by that one on the night) 

South looks mint tho. He looks the spit of Hawk

I've mentioned it on here before, but a mate of mine went to a wrestling show in Jersey in the early '90s and he is adamant that Hawk wrestled on it. It was years before I lived here, and short of going up to the Archive and seeking out anything tagged "wrestling" in the hope they saved a poster or a press cutting, it would be very difficult for me to confirm who was on the show.

I know Giant Haystacks and Drew McDonald were most likely on the show, because I've seen photos of Haystacks at that venue, and I don't think they ran there often, and I've spoken to people who remember Drew being there - and law of averages is that if you went to a BritWres show between 1991 and 2001 you saw Drew McDonald anyway. 

My mate's convinced Dynamite Kid and Hawk both worked the show - Dynamite would be plausible, though equally it could have been Johnny Smith. It definitely wasn't Hawk, though, but no amount of explaining the Legend of Doom gimmick has shifted him. I'm pretty sure Hawk never worked the UK outside of WWF tours.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The Dart said:

I'm sure you're friend is wrong, but Hawk did wrestle in Germany and Austria in the mid 90s a bit.  It's possible he did a show in Jersey around the same time.  Unlikely though.

That the show was in a hotel makes me think it must have been a UK promoter just doing the holiday destination circuit, so I expect it would have been the same crew they'd have had working holiday camps and seaside towns. So, as you say, there's a possibility, but probably a long shot.

One day I might actually get down the Archives and see what I can dredge up. I've been toying with the idea of trying to write a short book on my experiences with CIWW, and getting some background information on wrestling in the Channel Islands would make sense. 

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

Didn't South and Khemical (who used to post on here) used to do the tribute shows as Hawk & Animal?

I’m the poster formerly known as Khemical. I’ve never had a wrestling match, let alone one dressed as a Road Warrior 😂

No idea where you’ve gotten that idea from! 

Edited by Your Fight Site

• Paid Members

Ricky did a Legion of Doom tribute act as well, though I'm not sure if/how often he and South teamed together. I was under the impression they both did it as a singles act.

Ricky as Road Warrior;

19437284_10158879227895453_5210731168428

A few people on Reddit have suggested Nigel McGuinness worked as a tribute Scotty 2 Hotty, though I've not seen that verified anywhere. 

2 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

I’m the poster formerly known as Khemical. I’ve never had a wrestling match, let alone one dressed as a Road Warrior 😂

No idea where you’ve gotten that idea from! 

Sorry Knightmare is the one I'm thinking of. That was Ricky Knight wasn't it? 

• Paid Members

Ricky there wearing what appears to be a red couch cushion with black dildos stuck to them.

@BomberPat Nigel said on his Kevin Steen Show shoot a few years ago he was random tribute man on these shows, usually as Kane. But looking at Nigel's early 2000 hair, there's no way someone wasnt going to tell him "you're going to be Scotty 2 Hotty tonight." It just makes the most sense.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

9 hours ago, JakeRobertsParoleOfficer said:

What always struck me about South is that he was one of only a few Brit guys back then who was 'built' 

Not really.

He was past his prime and while "in shape" to a degree, you could not compare him to Hawk because he was probably 10 years older and somewhat flabby by comparison.