The Random/Weird/Quirky Photo Thread

EdgarTheSlouch

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Wretch said:

Story behind that?

Taken from Botchamania:

JAPW and CZW had huge heat at the time, but CZW had shown interest in Ki, the Haas Brothers, and The Hit Squad, so they started using them all. As dumb as it sounds, it lead to one of the bigger dream matches in NJ indy rasslin at the time: Ki vs Ric Blade. They did like three matches total together: January 2000 in CZW, one for New Millennium Wrestling in early February 2000, and then one like a week later for CZW that was a ladder match between Ki, Blade and Mercury. Blade got hurt during the match (Low Ki had nothing to do with it either, Blade fucked himself up coming off a basketball hoop and putting Mercury through a table while Ki was selling *he actually did that back then* near the ring and couldn’t see what happened) and couldn’t do everything that was planned. Ki, being Ki, has always had to get his shit in. So the dude just starts flipping out in front of the crowd because he thinks it’s some kind of screw job/set up, with CZW trying to fuck him over for being a JAPW guy or whatever. Everyone is standing around wondering what to do because he won’t calm down. So security dude just decides “fuck it” and scoops Ki up in his arms, mid-tantrum, as if he were a child throwing a hissy fit and carries him to the back. The Hit Squad tried to intervene too, and got in a shoving match with security. Neither Ki or the Hit Squad were brought back.

For whatever reason CZW edited it off the video they sold and that picture is the only image from a forgotten moment in indy rasslin’ lore.

36 minutes ago, Otto Dem Wanz said:

Those Champions Scramble matches were really enjoyable, why have they only done two on the same night and none since?

Bruce Pritchard mentioned it a couple of podcasts ago, saying the scramble was their hope for a new themed PPV but the rules were a bit convoluted, and I guess Vince just didn't like the result enough to keep or even tweak it. I thought they did do at least one more scramble match on another show but I can't find anything about it.

Edited by Mr.Showtime

I always thought it was a bit confusing to call so-and-so the "current champion, but he's not officially the champion unless he survives the match." Just change the terminology to something like "current flagholder" or whatever, and then you can still push the novelty and drama of "Kofi Kingston is thirty seconds away from becoming WWE Champion," etc.

• Awards Moderator

I don't think I ever saw them, were they a bit like those Time Limit Title matches you used to get on the SmackDown games, only without the title actually changing hands? Those were always one of my favourites to play. They could do them for the Cruiserweight Title or something where it doesn't matter if you're hotshotting it around 5 times in 10 minutes.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

I always thought it was a bit confusing to call so-and-so the "current champion, but he's not officially the champion unless he survives the match."

I liked how the in-match “title changes” didn’t officially count, but they added  another title reign to Triple H’s resume because he walked in & walked out champion.

• Paid Members
On 9/29/2018 at 9:44 PM, Statto said:

I liked how the in-match “title changes” didn’t officially count, but they added  another title reign to Triple H’s resume because he walked in & walked out champion.

If they announced that on the night, it certainly didn't stick. They refer to Triple H today as a 14-time World Heavyweight Champion, that includes 5 runs with the Big Gold Belt and 9 reigns with the WWF/E title including Backlash - Survivors 2008 as one continuous reign. They actually get his number right, as opposed to Flair's 16 which is wrong by officially recognized reigns (not including unofficial flip flops) by WCW, the NWA and themselves.

• Paid Members

I think I counted up once and including the unofficial title reigns Flair is on about 23. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think I counted up once and including the unofficial title reigns Flair is on about 23. 

Including unofficial is impossible. Ric himself doesn't know, we can't possibly know.

WWE uses "16-time" because that's how WCW referred to him by the end, but they make the mistake in thinking that 16 includes the twice he won the WWF title ; it did not. Ric is recognized as the NWA champion 10 times, and the WCW World Heavyweight Champion 7 times, but they elected to only consider it 16 reigns as he became recognized as the first WCW champion during his final NWA reign before heading to the WWF and being stripped of both, at which point the lineages became separate for the first time with Luger becoming the first "WCW heavyweight champion" independent of the Alliance. Two titles, but only one reign? You may not think that makes sense. But didn't include the WWF titles.

Officially Ric has been recognized as the World Heavyweight Champion 18 times or 19 times depending on if you count those instances in 91 as separate or not.