UFC 153: Silva vs Bonnar

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

quality show!

* well Stephan Bonnar had nothing for Anderson. I had him winning the round but the utter disdain and lack of respect Anderson had for anything Bonnar threw was equal parts amazing and infuriating. Anderson took the piss and finished it with ease when he that opportunity opened, his ability to exploit the slightest opening with such deadly accuracy is incredible. You can't knock Bonnar cause he had a go, it was just a case of not being anywhere near the level of his opponent.

* Fabio Maldonado is fucking granite. That beating was savage, Fabio landing the left hooks at the end of round 1 almost made me shit my pants but this was harsh a one sided beating as your likely to get. Glover/Rampage needs to happen and i hope Maldonado gets another crack at it, im rallying for a Maldonado/Beltran fight.

* So happy for Big Nog, it was Brazilian magic again, to see him do that in front of his home audience is great...i want to see him hang em up though. He's clearly gonna fight on and id hope he comes in much better shape next time out but not to look at this with rose-tinted glasses, Nogueira didn't look great, he was slow, and if it wasn't for the fact that he was fighting a punching/fight dummy in Dave Herman i fear what might have happened.

Dave Herman needs to go, he's pissed off Dana in the past, he's been in some shitty fights and his complete disrespect for anything means its time they cut their losses. He came in lethargic against Big Country asking to be knocked out and he got it, here he just didn't do anything...what the fuck was one arm out stance about? Ive rallied for the guy before and i was looking for him to get a shot before he even entered the UFC but he just doesn't seem to be willing to take it seriously.

* Loved Fitch/Silva. I think alot of people discredited Fitch after the Hendricks loss and expected Silva to blast him. Fitch just Fitch'd him, a brutal 3 round grind, but it was exciting. I know people are saying its a good learning experience for Silva but that's the kind of beating some people never recover from, Silva was broken in that third round, his next fight will be interesting.

* I love Demian Maia at 170, he's finally given up trying to box and is just jiu-jitsu'ing the fuck outta people. No messing, just straight to it. A Fitch/Maia fight makes sense to me, as does an Erick Silva/Rick Story fight...set em up.

* Prelims were lots of fun too, thought Tibau/Trinaldo and Brandao/Gambino were fight of the night candidates, the main card fight usually pips them though if theres a good one. Sicilia/Jason was great as well.

* Fabio Maldonado is fucking granite. That beating was savage, Fabio landing the left hooks at the end of round 1 almost made me shit my pants but this was harsh a one sided beating as your likely to get. Glover/Rampage needs to happen and i hope Maldonado gets another crack at it, im rallying for a Maldonado/Beltran fight.

Dana's already come out and said that Maldonado wont be getting cut and will get another fight in the UFC.

Blinder of a card. Not one bad fight, every one could at least be classed as "pretty good".

Blinder of a card. Not one bad fight, every one could at least be classed as "pretty good".

Spooky...

Anderson Silva back to his alien best is amazing to watch. If Dana can't convince him to do the Jones fight they should give Bisping a title shot at Wembley Stadium just for the spectacle...

There's not much for me to say that hasn't already been said. An amazing show, I only intended to stay up and watch the prelims but ended up watching the whole thing. I was so happy/excited/relived when Big Nog won that I spilt my cup of tea all over myself. He was looking a little on the slow side but was a great feeling to see him submit Herman.

Anderson made easy work of Bonnar, I want to see him fight Jon Jones so badly

I give Fitch a hard time (and usually deserved) but it was a great & entertaining performance by him last night.

Dana's already come out and said that Maldonado wont be getting cut and will get another fight in the UFC.

Yeah, his exact words being that they'd be crazy to cut him after what he did last night (plus stepping in for the fight).

Rampage has also asked Dana to set up the fight with Glover, can't see it ending well for Rampage.

I give Fitch a hard time (and usually deserved) but it was a great & entertaining performance by him last night.

The thing that kills me is that Fitch didn't fight any different to how he usually does. The difference here is that Silva actually tried to beat Fitch on the ground. Most of his opponents are usually overwhelmed and simply beaten into the ground.

If he's guilty of anything, it's of only fighting as hard as his opponent pushes him to.

• Paid Members
Glover Teixeira vs. Fabio Maldonado

Yamasaki may have let him take too much damage but he was able to eventually get to his feet and land the left hook that caused the legs to wobble, so it can be pointed to as justification. It also follows the Brock blueprint from the Carwin fight, anytime the ref told him to defend himself, Fabio responded by blocking, moving and grabbing wrists as best he could

I know what you're saying but I think this was a lot different than Carwin vs Lesnar. In that case Brock was actually blocking a lot of the shots. He took some but he was actually defending pretty well.

Maldonado was so badly hurt by the midway point of round 1 that all his defences were gone. He was proper fucked. I watched the fight again and I feel the same. He was all over the shop. He did land that left hook and a couple of other punches after but that's 2 or 3 punches. That's literally all the offence he got in the whole fight. It's still not enough of a justification to let a guy take that much damage. He couldn't stand, his eye was almost swollen shut, the cage was holding him up, he wasn't doing enough to protect himself and unlike Brock, he was taking flush haymakers on the chin and temple repeatedly. At one point the ref put his hands on Fabio and Fabio nearly fell to the ground. He was out on his feet.

Glover looked great though, it's not his fault the ref wasn't on the ball. He did his job and I was very impressed.

I was very impressed, as on paper it was not the most favorable of style match-ups for him, he is a wild brawler against a technical puncher, on paper the style greatly favored Fabio! I would like to see him defend takedowns, but other than that I am very confident in Glover mixing with the big guns, he may have the most powerful hands at 205lbs and whilst 32 he is still young for his age it would seem, with not many miles on the clock and very hungry. Chuck says he could beat Jon Jones, grandstanding talk it is, but after last night I can entertain the possibility of him being a serious threat.

I wouldn't say it favoured Fabio. He is a better boxer technically for sure and in pro Boxing technical fighters usually beat sluggers but Glover had both the power advantage and a massive grappling advantage. The style might have favoured Fabio in a straight Boxing match but in MMA Glover had a big edge due of his grappling. He always had that to fall back on and his takedowns and ground control were a major part of his dominance Saturday night.

But yeah he's got to be one of more raw powerful 205ers. It's either him, Hendo or Rampage for me. Rampage has better Boxing than the other 2 but he's pretty plodding at times. Glover I'd say puts his punches together a little quicker than Rampage. Hendo is the most limited for me of the 3 as a striker but that right hand is like a shotput. Fuck knows who hits hardest out of them 3.

Thinking about it, how awesome would Hendo vs Glover be?

Bonnar (who I do not really like)

You don't like Bonnar Jim? What's not to like?

im rallying for a Maldonado/Beltran fight.

A Fitch/Maia fight makes sense to me, as does an Erick Silva/Rick Story fight...set em up.

Love the sound of all of these. Especially Fabio/Beltran and Fitch/Maia. Fitch vs Maia could be really, really interesting or it could be a stalemate but I'd be very intrigued to see that one play out given their styles.

I know people are saying its a good learning experience for Silva but that's the kind of beating some people never recover from, Silva was broken in that third round, his next fight will be interesting.

Yeah we'll see what Erick Silva is made of in his next few fights. Dana was on about this after the event and he was saying it could be the fight that derails him or it could be his GSP/Matt Hughes 1 moment where it makes him a much stronger fighter.

One thing he has on his side is he's still very young. At least now he's been in there with an elite welterweight and knows what it will take he can work towards that. I hope they scale him back a tad though and build him back up again. I'd hate to see them rush him back in with a top guy and he never gets chance to get back on track. Rick Story would be perfect. He'd be a step back from the Fitch level but not too far back.

I was so happy/excited/relived when Big Nog won that I spilt my cup of tea all over myself.

:laugh: My girlfriend came down and went mental at me for waking her up. When Nog won I stood up in a dark livingroom and shouted "FUCKING YES! HAVE THAT YOU BASTARD" at 4.30am or whatever it was. She woke up quite startled as you'd imagine.

Rampage has also asked Dana to set up the fight with Glover, can't see it ending well for Rampage.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I'd probably end up picking Glover because I'm not sure Rampage is into MMA 100% anymore mentally. But it's worth remembering that the Bader fight he was injured and out of shape.

Before he got hurt forcing him to pull out of 153, there were pictures of him online looking shredded. I know it doesn't mean much but this was like 2 months before the fight and he was in tremendous shape which is unusual for Rampage that far out. He was clearly motivated for the Glover fight and he's been vocal about how disgusted he was with his performance against Bader.

An in shape motivated Rampage is a tough fight for anyone not named Jon Jones at 205. He'd be far and away Glover's toughest test. Glover still might win, he just might be as good as everyone says but I wouldn't count Rampage out completely.

I really think that will be a war. If Glover wins that one (and I would pick him on both their current form) I don't think he wins that one so easily.

I was so happy/excited/relived when Big Nog won that I spilt my cup of tea all over myself.

:laugh: My girlfriend came down and went mental at me for waking her up. When Nog won I stood up in a dark livingroom and shouted "FUCKING YES! HAVE THAT YOU BASTARD" at 4.30am or whatever it was. She woke up quite startled as you'd imagine.

I punched the air and said "Yes" aloud with the poetic justice finish.

• Paid Members

As always, my thoughts and views expressed in this thread far better than i'm able to.

One thing that sprung to mind though given Anderson's chosen method of disposing of Bonnar suggests to me that there might have been a bit of a shake up in his coaching staff.

Has Steven Seagal possibly made way for this man?

karatekid3-2.jpg

"If a man can't breathe....he can't fight"

Yeah I was solely on about the striking style of Glover/Fabio. If you were to pick a striking style in the UFC to combat Glover, Fabio would be near the top of my list before Saturday.

In regards to Bonnar, I do not hate him but I feel he tries a bit too hard to be funny. He is not a bad guy, but there is something smarmy about him. It also annoys me that people forget he got busted for PED's whilst others are demonized for it. Credit to him for taking the fight though.

Was anyone else astounded at how badly Fernando Yamasaki officiated the bouts he was given? Bloody hell, this guy was standing fighters up whilst they were in half guard throwing solid blows and looking to move into mount.

The best thing about it? The dude has a BJJ black belt!

2ib1b87.jpg

Archived