UFC 153: Silva vs Bonnar

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, he doesn't have much of a chance, but I give him more of a chance than any of his previous 205lbs opponents, and I think he's a far bigger test than Sonnen was.

Bonnar is bigger and has better BJJ defense, but Chael is a better technical wrestler he changes angles with scary quickness at times. Both bring different skills to the table.Not really got on the Bonnar wagon, I hope Anderson drops him early. I got Anderson by TKO in round 2.I see it being a decent night for Brazil, I have Nog surviving a early scare to sub Herman, Glover to win as well as if Fabio trades like he did with Igor, Glover will take his head of, ground game also favors Glover. I think Fitch will sadly grind out a points win. Too soon for Erick Silva too face someone as seasoned as Fitch, and I like Maia to win also.

For anyone looking to put some cash on Bonnar winning the fight, although you can get odds of 7/1 on him winning, you can get him at 16/1 to win via decision. If he does get the win, that's how he's going to do it most likely.I've dropped

The closer tonight has got the more I've been thinking Bonnar has a chance, I'm sticking with Silva stopping him in the first round though.I'm really looking foward to tonight, I'm looking forward to every one of the main card fights and all but a couple of the prelims, I can't wait!

• Paid Members

Bro_hug_medium.gif

What a fuck of a show that was. I missed the Facebook fights but everything after Moraes/Forte was fantastic.

Silva vs Bonnar

Anderson's done something no-one else has, again. Stopping Stephan Bonnar with strikes.

Bonnar gave it a good old bash. I thought he was doing good and I actually had him edging the round until Anderson went Matrix at the end and put him away. Anderson played a risky game taking those shots against the cage but once again I was massively impressed with his takedown defence. Especially given the size disadvantage.

For someone as tough as Stephan Bonnar to turtle up like that from that knee it must have been some ridiculous impact.

Nog vs Herman

I'm made up with this. Couldn't be more chuffed. Loved that he got the submission after Herman's "BJJ doesn't work on me" stuff. He's clearly way way past it and he won't be going on title runs again or anything but it's great to see Nog win. He's 2-0 in Brazil and that's all that matters.

I was actually hoping he'd announce his retirement in his post fight interview. As much as I love watching him fight I just can't help feel like he won't get too many better chances to walk away on a high like tonight. Winning in Brazil, by submission would be a fitting farewell.

Fat Nog is the bollocks.

Teixeira vs Maldonado

Fuck me, Fabio Maldonado may well be the toughest bastard breathing. The beating he took was absolutely vicious. It was difficult to watch at times. But Fabio had no quit in him, he didn't look close to quitting. He looked crushed when the ref and doctor stopped it. But it was 100% the correct call.

I actually thought Marc Goddard dropped a bollock tonight. Maldonado's corner as well. I thought the fight should have been stopped sooner. Quite a bit sooner to be honest. Fabio was clearly not going to quit and in that case it's up to the ref and the corner to save a fighter from himself. He was getting brutally battered and wasn't defending or improving his position a few times and was just taking a ridiculous amount of punishment. He was wobbling all over the place, he was swollen up, he could barely stand and he even almost fell down just from the ref touching him. Thank fuck the doctor stepped in when he did.

I almost had a heart attack when Fabio landed that big left hook at the end of the 1st. That could have been one of the most incredible comebacks in MMA history. Glover's legs went dancing and all sorts. He was hurt but Fabio didn't have enough left at that point to capitalize.

Glover looked like a wrecking ball. He beat Maldonado more convincingly than I expected. I'm still not 100% convinced he can do that to the top 205ers but it will be fun to watch him try. A name fight makes more sense now he's 2 fights deep in the UFC with decisive wins over tough guys. He's certainly making a case to be up there and at a time where the division is lacking in viable fresh challengers he's making waves.

I really want that Glover vs Rampage fight now.

Fitch vs Silva

Jon Fitch in FOTN shocker. I absolutely loved this fight. Amazing back and forth fight.

This is the Jon Fitch I like. I'm not saying he should take silly risks but this was more like the Fitch from when he came into the UFC. Back then he went for the kill and wasn't content with decisions. His fights with Burkman, Carneiro and Sanchez were all excellent. I've pimped them fights on here a few times. Somewhere along the line he seemed to lose his Eye of the Tiger. He was still winning and racked up a long unbeaten streak but he seemed to lose a bit of his edge and killer instinct.

It was back tonight. He was constantly improving his position, landing damaging shots and going for submissions. He was trying to finish at every opportunity. I think that loss to Hendricks might have brought a bit of the old Jon Fitch back. I actually thought the ref should have stopped the fight in the 3rd. Fitch was putting a beating on Silva and Silva wasn't defending at all for long spells. Wasn't trying to really escape and was just eating a shitload of unanswered shots. Should have been stopped in my opinion but the right man won.

Erick Silva doing as well as he did shows he's legit more than his easy wins over guys like Charlie Brenneman. Brenneman's a good fighter but Fitch is elite and Silva had him in trouble a few times and survived some rough spots. He faded at the end but he's young and he'll be back.

Incredible fight. I think I'd have this in my top 10 FOTYs to be honest.

Davis vs Prado

Phil Davis needed a win like this. His stock has dropped this year and he needed a performance like this right now. The Anaconda was sweet. I think Davis should have got SOTN. I love Nog but Davis should have got it in my opinion.

Maia vs Story

I like Demian Maia at 170. We couldn't tell much from the Stun Gun fight but one thing I liked about that one was Maia went back to his BJJ roots. When Demian Maia grapples good things happen for him. Tonight was no different, and Rick Story is no joke. To run through him like that was a big statement.

Prelims

*I thought Brandao looked very good, although I still thought he gassed late despite the commentators banging on like he's now a cardio freak.

*Tibau vs Trinaldo was a fun one. Two monster lightweights going at it. Trinaldo nearly had him in the 2nd. Slower 3rd round but after the pace of the first 2 it was understandable. The 3rd was still a good tactical struggle. Wild fight, really enjoyed it.

*Jason vs Sicilia was an exciting fight as well. This was the Rony Jason from TUF Brazil, he didn't show his best at UFC 147. Good scrap, Sicilia gave him all he could handle but I was happy to see Jason get the KO.

Incredible show.

Bonuses were;

Fight Of The Night - Jon Fitch vs Erick Silva

KO Of The Night - Rony Jason

Submission Of The Night - Fat Nog

Blinder of a card. Not one bad fight, every one could at least be classed as "pretty good".

Demian Maia vs. Rick Story

Missed a couple of the prelims when driving a mate home, got to the RSL just in time to see Maia get the back and get the RNC. That was one nasty finish with the blood spurting from Rick Story's nose, I've never seen that before. Maia looks like a beast at 170, can't say he's a different fighter because it's a return to his original form, but at least he's abandoned the kickboxing and is using his size effectively.

Phil Davis vs. Wagner Prado

Mr. Wonderful wasn't fucking around here. The first fight, while brief, showed Prado to have a striking advantage. Davis completely neutralised that and ragdolled him. The finish was beautiful, I love how multifaceted he is with his submissions. I'd love to see the skillsets of Davis and Chris Weidman matched up, it's a pity they're not in the same weight class.

Jon Fitch vs. Erick Silva

This was a funny fight, because I had tentative high expectations, tempered by a niggling voice in my head that said Fitch would grind a win out. It lived up to and maybe surpassed those high expectations. Fitch was in fine form here, I've been one of the biggest critics of his style on here, because while he was dominant, he was never really aggressive per se. In this fight, he didn't really change his style all that drastically, he just went about his business with a greater sense of urgency- it looked for a moment like he'd get the RNC 30 seconds into the fight. Erick Silva deserves a ton of credit too; I don't think losing to Fitch exposed him as "not being ready" as the announcers said, I just felt like he fought the best Jon Fitch we've seen in the Octagon. The choke he had on Fitch in the second was deep, it took insane guts to get out of that. I can't go as far to say Fitch made me a fan, we might need to see a couple more similar performances, but he definitely earned my respect tonight. He showed that you don't need to stand and bang Leben-style for a fight to be exciting. Deserved FOTN.

Glover Teixeira vs. Fabio Maldonado

Glover was a beast here. That's two solid mid-tier guys he's demolished easily, this one much higher on the brutality scale. No question in my mind now that he's legit and deserves someone the caliber of Rampage. Fabio is insanely durable. Yamasaki may have let him take too much damage but he was able to eventually get to his feet and land the left hook that caused the legs to wobble, so it can be pointed to as justification. It also follows the Brock blueprint from the Carwin fight, anytime the ref told him to defend himself, Fabio responded by blocking, moving and grabbing wrists as best he could. Impressively, Glover was able to deliver that onslaught without really getting gassed. Just vicious stuff.

Big Nog vs. Dave Herman

Looks like Herman's getting his walking papers. I know he stepped up on short notice but it seems like he was thrown to the wolves a little by getting Struve, Nelson and then Nog. I can see the UFC not liking his attitude, he seems to clown around a lot and not appear to take MMA seriously, he always has that stupid smirk. Loved seeing Nog get another big win in Brazil. Wand's right, it would have been the perfect time to walk away, I wouldn't say he's elite any longer but you can't help but love the guy.

Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar

Anderson has inhuman skill. There's just no other way to put it. He completely clowned Bonnar, who appeared like he was gaining a slight advantage in the round until it became clear Silva was just toying with him. That knee was one of the most lethal looking knees I've seen in the Octagon, and the speed and reflexes still possessed by the 37 year old Spider continue to amaze me. I hope Dana and the Fertittas throw every incentive at Silva and Jones to get that super fight to happen.

This was a fantastic show. Not too relevant in terms of titles or ranking, but just plain, unadulterated fun. One of the best shows of the year for me.

Before UFC 153, the two UFC PPV’s in Brazil I’ve watched (UFC 134 and UFC 142) delivered. UFC 153 can be added to the list. In the Demian Maia/Rick Story opener, Maia took Story down early, worked to get his back finishing the fight with a neck crank that caused blood to come out of Story’s nose. Nice seeing Demian Maia go back to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu two fights running instead of standing with his opponents. A turnaround from his first fight of 2012 where he looked horrible against Chris Weidman in one of the worst fights of the year at UFC on FOX 2: Evans vs. Davis. Phil Davis easily beat Wagner Prado taking him down repeatedly and submitting him in the second with the Anaconda Choke. Jon Fitch won the first round against Erick Silva controlling him. In round two, Silva got Fitch’s back twice, Fitch survived a rear naked choke and got the back of Silva and went for an armbar but Silva filled out of it so it was tied going into the third. The third round was one sided for John Fitch, the referee could have stopped it at the later stages of the round. I scored it 29-27 to Fitch. A very good fight.Glover Teixeira battered Fabio Maldonado over two rounds winning by TKO due to doctor’s stoppage. The first round was the most brutal beginning with Teixeira knocking Maldonado with a punch following it up with elbows and punches from the mount. When Maldonado got up from the mount, he was on very wobbly legs. Mario Yamasaki should have stopped it then. Brave performance by Maldonado.Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira KO of Brendan Schaub at UFC 134 was the feel good moment of 2011. Nogueira produced another in the co-main event with a poetic justice finish against Dave Herman submitting him by Armbar in the second round after Herman said Brazilian Jiu Jitsu doesn’t work.In the main event Anderson Silva became the first fighter to finish Stephan Bonnar close to the end of round one with a brutal knee to the body crumpling Bonnar to the ground with follow up punches.UFC gave Fight of the Night to Jon Fitch vs. Erick Silva, Knockout of the Night to Rony Jason and Submission of the Night to Big Nog. I agree with Fight of the Night but Knockout of the Night was Anderson Silva doing what no other fighter has done, stopping Stephan Bonnar. Submission of the Night was the most competitive award, Demian Maia should have won that. This was the best UFC PPV since UFC 146.

Blinder of a card. Not one bad fight, every one could at least be classed as "pretty good".

Demian Maia vs. Rick Story

I thought Maia looked great here. The reason, he didn't try and prove he was a striker. He took the guy down and showed what he can do with his world class jit skills. Could he beat GSP or Diaz, I don;t think so because they have great take down defence and are far superior strikers. But. on this night it was a joy to see Maia showcase his talents.

Phil Davis vs. Wagner Prado

Talking of showcasing your talents: I thought "Mr Wonderful" looked wonderful tonight. This was one of two fights where you could see the superior grappler breaking his opponents will. Davis looked confident and demonstrated solid G&P before finishing Prado of with the second sweet submission in a row.

Jon Fitch vs. Erick Silva

This was a great fight. I was actually jumping up and down when he got out of the RNC and the clamped on an armbar. Fitch had so much to loose in this fight and he put on the best display of his life. This win moves him up back into the top 5. Who will he meat. I would like to see a match between him and Diaz. As for Silva, sorry Dana, but apart from that short period in the second round, I thought he was schooled. Again, this was another fight when the grappler broke his oppenent. Silva will improve but this fight demonstrates the danger of over hyping fighters before the beat a good quality opponent. So pleased that they also bagged FOTN.

Glover Teixeira vs. Fabio Maldonado

Duck me. What a beating Glover handed out here. Maldonando showed tremendous guts, but this fight should have been stopped in the first when the cage was basically keeping Maldonado on his feet. Teixeira Vs Rampage should be a war!

Big Nog vs. Dave Herman

I hated this fight. Herman looked terrible and it was no suprise when Nog locked on the submission. Where does Nog go from here though?

Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar

Anderson Silva showed why he is the best fighter in the UFC and MMA today. When he floored Bonner with that knee. Shit, you knew it was over I would have loved Bonner to win, but lets face it. We all knew deep down that he didn't have a hope in hell of winnig this. Would much prefer to see Silva Vs "Bones" Jones than GSP but we must savour this guy before farther time catches up with him.

Dave Herman has always been an enigma but he's now crossed into the path of a wasted talent. Based on height, body shape, agility and ability, he's one of the best around. He should be achieving at the very top of the heavyweight division, he's had that potential since he first turned up in EliteXC but now he's like a bad joke. It's like he's had a frontal lobe injury in 2010 and since then has just fought within himself. Three losses, I think he's going to be cut and he needs to take a hard look in the mirror if he'll ever be back.

I only watched the Main Show, but based on that it may be my card of the year

- Maia looked much better at 170lbs, he should have made the move a few years ago. At 34 his window his limited, but with his immense BJJ skills and improving wrestling he could make some noise the next few years

- Phil Davis looked the business, we did not see much of his striking, but his grappling game was impressive to say the least. It was a dominating performance and one that will help the recovery process of the Rashad fight.

- Erick Silva raised his stock with a loss for me, I picked Fitch to win in a grinding affair, instead we were treated to a thrill ride. The first two rounds Silva had a lot of good moments, the rear naked choke being the finest. To go 15 mins with someone as seasoned and well rounded as Fitch and do have the success he did is commendable. He showed heart, a decent ground game and powerful striking. Give it a few years and he could be something very special. He has star potential was well with his good looks and exciting style.

- Fitch on the other hand gave a career performance to beat the young gun, he dug deep at times and finally took over in the third to win clearly. Fitch proved to me he still belongs in the top 5 at Welterweight and can have some interesting battles the next few years.

- Glover oh Glover! You can tell he trains under Hackleman, his style is similar at times to Chuck, he even through a Liddel style looping right and when Fabio was on all fours he even did the hesitation uppercut Chuck used to do. Other than when he dropped his hands and ate a left hook, Glover looked fantastic. I compared him to Chuck but he has more dimensions, hard GnP, a submission game and fantastic takedowns. He also dropped and rocked Fabio, something Igor and Kingsbery could not do. It was not the fact he won, it was how he did it, he showed cardio as well with how he was stilling landing hard shots at the end of the second. Although sloppy with dropping his hands, he also showed a chin with taking that left hook.

I was very impressed, as on paper it was not the most favorable of style match-ups for him, he is a wild brawler against a technical puncher, on paper the style greatly favored Fabio! I would like to see him defend takedowns, but other than that I am very confident in Glover mixing with the big guns, he may have the most powerful hands at 205lbs and whilst 32 he is still young for his age it would seem, with not many miles on the clock and very hungry. Chuck says he could beat Jon Jones, grandstanding talk it is, but after last night I can entertain the possibility of him being a serious threat.

- Nog winning was almost as feel-good as when he beat Schaub. Herman is a curious case, he clearly has talent but his striking defense is a bit shit. I get he was trying to use distance, but Nog had enough reach to land his big shots, I was suprised Nog did not knock him down sooner. Herman lasted longer than I expected on the mat and did show good BJJ defense, but it was Nog's moment to come home for a win. Anderson crying was a lovely moment, you could not fake that.

-Anderson gave a typically astounding performance. 3 and a half mins of taking the piss and showboating then finishing a man who outweighed him by about 30lbs come fight night, by throwing him down and landing a pin-point accurate knee. I was laughing like a monkey when he was playing with Bonnar (who I do not really like) and went mad when he landed that knee, it was a great end to a great night of fights.

• Paid Members

Pro-wrestling would struggle to book a card with such a great feel good story throughout it. I'll look back with fondness on this show for that reason.

Anderson toying with Silva, like he was playing with his food, was mental. I expected Silva to win, but not with piss taking inbetween. That knee of his may just be the deadliest weapon on planet Earth, bet Maldonando could take it though.

The best thing on the show was Big(ger) Nog tapping out Herman, just a fantastic moment that had me screaming like a wee girl. I agree that Herman seems to be in a rut at the minute and getting cut may be the boot up the arse he needs.

An excess of snowflakes.

Pro-wrestling would struggle to book a card with such a great feel good story throughout it. I'll look back with fondness on this show for that reason.

Anderson toying with Silva, like he was playing with his food, was mental. I expected Silva to win, but not with piss taking inbetween. That knee of his may just be the deadliest weapon on planet Earth, bet Maldonando could take it though.

The best thing on the show was Big(ger) Nog tapping out Herman, just a fantastic moment that had me screaming like a wee girl. I agree that Herman seems to be in a rut at the minute and getting cut may be the boot up the arse he needs.

An excess of snowflakes.

He himself is the only one that has a chance of beating him. :p

Archived