UFC 153: Silva vs Bonnar

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
silva-bonnar-2.0_standard_500.0.jpgWeigh inshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...;v=4OCmRj_re1M#!

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)Anderson Silva (202) vs. Stephan Bonnar (205)Dave Herman (244) vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (243)Fabio Maldonado (203) vs. Glover Teixeira (204)Jon Fitch (170) vs. Erick Silva (169)Phil Davis (206) vs. Wagner Prado (204)Demian Maia (170) vs. Rick Story (170)PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)Rony "Jason" Mariano Bezerra (145) vs. Sam Sicilia (146)Gleison Tibau (155) vs. Francisco Trinaldo (154)Diego Brandao (144) vs. Joey Gambino (146)Renee Forte (169) vs. Sergio Moraes (169)PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 7 p.m. ET)Chris Camozzi (185) vs. Luiz Cane (184)Reza Madadi (155) vs. Cristiano Marcello (155)

Bonnar looked huge. 580904_10151252093899479_1912493836_n.jpgOh, and Big Nog shook Arianny's hand. What a gent.

Bonnar looking huge, to me says he's in there to grind him out Sonnen style. Bonnar thinks that Sonnen easily could have won his first fight, fighting an injured Silva and wrestling/grinding him Fitch style. He's looking for a out of shape, heavy Silva. Clinch and wrestle and he's breathing heavy in the second!!! He might have a shot grinding him out, being careful of the BJJ and win 4 of the 5.Or Silva by TKO after about 3 minutes.

• Paid Members

If Bonnar comes in to grind out a decision his chances go up quite a bit for me. It might not make for a great fight but if he can muscle Anderson around and work his top game he can nick at least 2 rounds. Which would be enough in a 3 rounder. People think of Bonnar as a brawler and forget he has an excellent BJJ game and is a black belt under Carlson Gracie. He's not a great wrestler but his size advantage could make up for that. Bonnar is bigger than some heavyweights, while Anderson came in at 202. Don't get me wrong, it's an uphill battle for Bonnar and I'm picking Anderson to win this for sure. But it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Bonnar could take 2 rounds with the right tactics. If he chooses to brawl with Anderson he's fucked. That's a fight no-one can win in my opinion. If he mixes it up and uses his weight and size to wear on Anderson he's at least maximising his chances and keeping himself out of danger. Interesting to think about. Logic says Anderson on points, possibly a late TKO though. Bonnar's insanely tough though, if Anderson blows through him then that's just another bit of proof of his awesomeness.Fucking pumped for tomorrow. I'll be happy whoever wins the main event, Nog's fight is where my heart will be in danger of failing.

• Paid Members

Nog didn't look great at the weigh ins;

antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-dave-herman.JPG

Muffin Top Nog can do this though.

Glover Teixeira vs Fabio Maldonado staredown

glover-teixeira-fabio-maldonado.JPG

Can't wait for that one. People are well caught up in Glover and I'm picking him in this one but I was tempted to pick Maldonado for the underdog points on MMAPlayground.

This isn't as sure a win for Glover as people think. Maldonado's a tough bastard and is a fantastic boxer. He has something like a 21 or 22-0 pro boxing record with all but 1 or 2 being KOs. He's a handful for Glover and I'd say he's a better striker technically than him as well. Glover throws with big power but he can be a bit wild and sloppy.

Both have great chins, both hit hard. Fabio has them killer body punches, Glover probably packs a little bit more brute power. They have similar MMA records and have fought a similar level of opposition. This is a hell of a fight. I'm going with Glover solely due to him having a really strong grappling base to fall back on.

He looks in the shape of his life as well

glover-teixeira.JPG

I think this could well steal the show.

EDIT - forgot to mention but Luiz Cane looked in incredible shape at the weigh ins...

luiz-cane.JPG

He's gonna have to change his nickname though. 'Banha' is Portugese for 'bodyfat' :laugh:

For his first time at 185 as well, he doesn't look too withdrawn. He was smiling and looked energetic. Could be a great move for him.

Was encouraging to see Shogun had lost some of his 'banha' as well. He looked a right bloater in that photo I posted the other day. Must have been old.

Just posted in my predictions. I'm thinking Anderson, Nog and Glover keep the Brazilian fans happy, while Fitch becomes the most hated man in the country by grinding down Erick Silva to a UD. Davis beats Prado in a kickboxing based bout in the 2nd, and Maia uses his size to get Story to the mat and gain a 2nd round sub.The prelims were mostly a pick 'em. Probably the most challenging one I had was Rony Jason vs. Sam Sicilia. Jason's good at quick subs, Sicilia is good at quick KO's. Ended up going with Sam, even though I like Rony Jason. I realised my predictions in the past have often being who I want to win, not who I think will win. For example, I picked Fitch but would love nothing more than to see Erick blitz him in a minute.

• Paid Members

i think everyone assumed Bonnar's coming in primarily to brawl, history shows that he will but he'd surely be wise to try and weight on Silva, drag him to the mat and use some of his considerable size advantage, as wand. said too people forget that Bonnar has a legit ground game too. chances are Silva's gonna smash him but Bonnar definitly offers some interesting obstacles. I can't fucking wait.

If Bonnar comes in looking to emulate Sonnen's gameplan from their first fight he may have a chance. He's obviously much bigger than Sonnen, can take a better punch, and I'd say he has better submission defence. Much like the second Silva/Sonnen fight it'll come down to Anderson being in shape to execute his standup. If he's on form and ready to go I don't think anyone can stop him from eventually catching them.The wildcard is the size difference. Bonnar being a legit 205lbs fighter makes this a really interesting bout. I can't wait.

• Paid Members

William Hill have got Bonnar at 6/1 now. I expected his odds to be much worse than that. As mentioned, given it's only a 3 rnd fight you'd expect Bonnar to try & stifle Silva & staying on top. I can totally see Anderson wanting to put on a masterclass for the home fans & wanting the KO.

• Paid Members

If Bonnar comes in looking to emulate Sonnen's gameplan from their first fight he may have a chance. He's obviously much bigger than Sonnen, can take a better punch, and I'd say he has better submission defence.

Yeah he's defo got better submission defence than Chael. Bonnar's been a BJJ blackbelt for ages. Anderson has more to worry about with Bonnar's top game because Bonnar can hit harder than Chael and pose a threat with submissions. Highly unlikely to finish Anderson but he's more of a fight finishing threat than Chael was. And he's a lot bigger.

The wildcard is the size difference. Bonnar being a legit 205lbs fighter makes this a really interesting bout. I can't wait.

Bonnar is one of the biggest 205ers in MMA along with Jones and Griffin. He cuts a fair bit of weight to make 205, I read he walks around at about 235-245. He's a big old lump. Anderson came in at 202 which means he basically cut nothing.

Plus, it's only three rounds. Bonnar getting the takedowns and surviving for three frames isn't that far outside the realms of possibility. If it were five I'd be thinking differently to be honest.Don't get me wrong, he doesn't have much of a chance, but I give him more of a chance than any of his previous 205lbs opponents, and I think he's a far bigger test than Sonnen was.

• Paid Members

That's exactly how I see it. I'm picking Anderson all day, skill wise he's certainly the superior fighter. But when you factor in Bonnar's size, skills and toughness plus it being a 3 round fight, his chances get a little better.If it were 5 rounds I wouldn't see Bonnar surviving. In a 3 round fight though, all it takes is Bonnar to have 2 good rounds and he pulls off the biggest ever upset in MMA. It's at least do-able.Anderson on points for me though. I think Bonnar's toughness might see him through to the final bell but Anderson will be a class above.

Archived