UFC 153: Silva vs Bonnar

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

The Rocky story in the main event has definitely caught my attention more than loads of other PPV main events in recent months. Fuck the boring Flyweights, give me a good, juicy story like this one (accompanied by a couple of fantastic adverts) and I'm hooked. If Bonnar wins it'll be one of the greatest UFC moments of all time.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where is Bonnar ranked in the 205lbs division? I mean if we push enough could he be considered top 15 material?

If I was Silva I would say the same thing. He is too old to even try messing with Jon Jones. Not that he couldn't win but if he got beat, it would tarnish the legacy he has created in the UFC.

Bonnar's on a 3 fight win streak against Krystof Soszynski, Igor Pokrajac and Kyle Kingsbury. I'd say he's top 15 based off that. Of course, if he were to beat Anderson Silva, I'd make him the next challenger for the LHW title, no exaggeration, strike while the iron is hot on the Rocky story.

As for the overall show, even though it's been raped by the injury bug, it still looks like a fantastic card. The return of Big Nog, and I honestly think Herman is an easy fight for Nog, especially given the form last time Nog fought in Brazil. Teixeira has an opponent more befitting of his standing in the LHW division, and Fabio is a great striker in his own right, could be really fun. Fitch vs. Silva could be a FOTN sleeper if Fitch doesn't Fitch his way to victory. Erick showed great TDD against Charlie Brenneman, so it could be very interesting. Elsewhere, we have Phil Davis, Demian Maia and Rick Story... and that's all just the main card!

The prelims look like non-stop action as well. Rony Jason, Gleison Tibau, Diego Brandao and even Luiz Cane on Facebook! Never a dull moment, I'm extremely psyched :D

Great opening post again Wand, they are fast becoming my favorite thing on this forum.

Im really psyched for this show, I can't wait till Saturday comes round, hopefully it will live up to its potential and be a great show!

Great opening post again Wand, they are fast becoming my favorite thing on this forum.

Im really psyched for this show, I can't wait till Saturday comes round, hopefully it will live up to its potential and be a great show!

The two Brazil shows in August 2011 and January 2012 delivered, here's hoping the Brazil shows go 3/3 with this one.

• Paid Members

There was UFC 147 in June as well Natural. Wasn't as good as the two shows you mentioned but I really enjoyed it. It seemed I was in the minority there though.

The PPV opener (Dias/Alcantara) was quite crap and Rony Jason vs Pepey wasn't what I hoped it would be but you still had Wandy vs Franklin 2 which was a fun 5 rounder (with Wand almost knocking that Lloyd Christmas hairdo into the 27th row), an exciting Middleweight TUF final with Mutante vs Sergio and Werdum getting a quick KO.

And Trinaldo, Vinicius and the Bodao vs Mafra fight delivered on the prelims.

I really think that card got unfairly shat on, mainly down to the fact that a lot of people didn't follow TUF Brazil and weren't familiar with the TUF guys.

But yeah, the Brazilian crowds are usually awesome and create an electric atmosphere. With Anderson and Nog on the card this will be no different.

The Rocky story in the main event has definitely caught my attention more than loads of other PPV main events in recent months. Fuck the boring Flyweights, give me a good, juicy story like this one (accompanied by a couple of fantastic adverts) and I'm hooked. If Bonnar wins it'll be one of the greatest UFC moments of all time.

Personally I'll take both. There isn't a rule that you have to choose.

• Paid Members
The two Brazil shows in August 2011 and January 2012 delivered, here's hoping the Brazil shows go 3/3 with this one.

The August one featured Nog's win over Schaub, didn't it? That's one of my favourite moments ever, made all the better by how bonkers the crowd went. I really hope we see a similar scene on Saturday. I'm not sure my heart could handle another Big Nog loss! I'm still not entirely recovered from how sad he looked following the Mir defeat!

There was UFC 147 in June as well Natural. Wasn't as good as the two shows you mentioned but I really enjoyed it. It seemed I was in the minority there though.

Didn't mention UFC 147 as I only watched the main event so I can't pass comment on the whole show.

The August one featured Nog's win over Schaub, didn't it? That's one of my favourite moments ever, made all the better by how bonkers the crowd went. I really hope we see a similar scene on Saturday. I'm not sure my heart could handle another Big Nog loss! I'm still not entirely recovered from how sad he looked following the Mir defeat!

That's the one. The feel good moment of MMA in 2011. Awesome seeing Big Nog come back from the hip surgery, stopping Brendan Schaub by KO of all things in Brazil. Big Nog should be on a two fight win streak before this fight :(.

• Paid Members

Nog battering Schaub was fantastic for a number of reasons.

1. It's Nog. Winning. That's always a good thing.

2. Nog was coming off a long layoff and a KO loss to Cain.

3. It was in Brazil.

4. Schaub is a knob. He beat an out of form Gonzaga who briefly retired shortly after, then KO'd 2011 Cro Cop in a fight Cro Cop, even as past it as he was, was giving Schaub a tough fight. If it went to the cards Mirko might have nicked it from what I remember. Then he started mouthing off that he was deserving a title shot even though he hadn't fought anyone who was on top of their game.

He called out Nog seeing it as an easy win over another legend and a name he could put on his record...

Nogueira-vs-Schaub-UFC-134.gif

..didn't work out too well.

And as if the fight being in Brazil wasn't enough motivation, some cheeky twat nicked Nog's hat on the way to the cage;

33mlmrn.gif

Schaub didn't stand a chance.

I'm not sure my heart could handle another Big Nog loss! I'm still not entirely recovered from how sad he looked following the Mir defeat!

I'm right there with you on that one. But we must be positive, he WILL win!

Think I will have an MMA weekend of it this weekend, got this show to watch, I also have Like Water to watch and I have Choke to watch, I've never seen it before

• Paid Members

Choke's great, Like Water's even better.

As for Nog's fight this weekend, he should win. He's clearly not at his best anymore, nowhere near if you watch some of his fights from about 99-2006 he was phenomenal. But this is a good fight for him, any win for him at this point is a bonus.

It's worth remembering though that Nog isn't as bulletproof as he was, he's banged up physically, he's slower and Herman does have heavy hands.

Like I say, Nog should win but there's always that chance. I like Nog to submit him though, probably in the second. I'll go mad and say he'll bust out the old Anaconda choke.

I'm not sure my heart could handle another Big Nog loss! I'm still not entirely recovered from how sad he looked following the Mir defeat!

I'm right there with you on that one. But we must be positive, he WILL win!

Think I will have an MMA weekend of it this weekend, got this show to watch, I also have Like Water to watch and I have Choke to watch, I've never seen it before

Me three. Like Water is superb.

There are fighters some people will like and some people won't. I think Big Nog is one of the few fighters I'm going to say who is liked by most if not all of the fanbase. Wandy is one, Randy Couture was when he fought. Fighters who aren't liked by most if not all of the fanbase: Frank Mir and Josh Koscheck.

• Paid Members

Quite a lot actually like Mir. My girlfriend loves him for some reason as well although I'm pretty sure she's just saying that because I can't stand him. He's defo a Marmite one but like Marmite, I find him utterly repugnant. He's a great villain though, no-one in MMA gets me more excited to watch them get a twatting than Mir.

If anyone dislikes Nog or Shogun there's something wrong with them is my thinking. There's nothing to dislike, both are legends and both seem like the nicest killers you could meet.

Wandy's gone all nice in his older age and then there's guys like Pat Barry, Bas Rutten, Randy Couture and GSP who all seem like all round great blokes.

JDS is the new Nog as well. He's like a big happy kid, but with cauliflower ears. Everyone loves him. How could you not? Look at him...

junior-dos-santos-with-koala-header.jpg

Ahhh.

The koala bear's nice as well.

EDIT- wrong bear.

Archived