RAW 01/10/12

JLM

• Paid Members

Opening segment was very formulaic. I thought Punk and Heyman were good, but they seem intent on running Kane/Bryan into the ground and ruining it. AJ is just horribly contrived and makes me cringe whenever she's on screen. All of her backstage segments were turd as well.

I like the tag tournament, and I absolutely love Rey and Sin Cara's matching gear and combined masks. Probably my favourite thing on the show this week.

Cesaro hitting his finish on Brodus was a very impressive spot. I've been a fan of his since I saw Swiss Money Holdings at a GPW some time ago, so it's cool to see him getting a bit of a push. Don't think he's over in the slightest but they're trying. Miz vs Ryder was decent. I get tempted to fast forward whenever I hear either of their theme songs though. Could not care less about either of them. The midcard isn't booked nearly strongly enough to support both the U.S. title and Intercontinental title. They were both defended here and they both mean nothing.

World title debate was rubbish. Sheamus' whole babyface character and his delivery of shit comedy is rubbish. Can't wait to pay money to see these two settle this in a fight!

For all his shortcomings and questions about how he's been built, I fucking love me some Ryback. The massive grin on his face after getting shoulder blocked was a great touch. It's a shame he couldn't hit his finish on Tensai and it was a little bit embarrassing that he failed twice, but on the plus side it meant we got two beastly clotheslines in this match instead. I choose to believe it was Tensai's fault for not manouvering his lard correctly.

I know the Divas division is irrelevant but I think Eve continues to be very good as a smarmy heel champion/political meddler.

JBL's theme over a picture of him at the top of Kilimanjaro was Tremendous. Godspeed JBL you magnificent man. Back on commentary next week. Yes!

Heath Slater is the man. Wringing every ounce of fun and potential out of every second of TV time. He was great throughout his run agains the legends and he's still dong it now. I am a fan, may he lead his band of jobbers to greatness.

Also, breath tasty:

Whooo!

Sheamus vs Sandow was good stuff. Sandow is excellent, from the first vignette onwards he's been great for me, and I like that his in ring stuff and his persona outside of it all gel together so well. A very complete act, and he keeps improving it every week. The elbow of disdain is one of my favourite spots at the moment. I feel like Sheamus is at his best in matches like this, where he gets explosive bursts of offense but the opponent generally sets the pace.

JR/Punk segment was pretty good. JR's promo was better than I thought it would be. Punk claiming 316 as his own was a nice touch too. The Feed Me More chant for Ryback was encouraging. For a second I thought he was going to hit JR and join team Heyman, as nonsensical as that seems. But yeah, it went well and I am a sucker for Ryback. Not sure how a match between him and Punk can work though, unless Punk just finds ways to duck him for this whole run until Cena's back. I love all of Paul Heyman's off-mic stuff during all of Punk's segments. "You get paid to fight, you don't fight for free. You're the best in the world!" etc. Superb.

Kofi and Del Rio didn't click too well. Bit sloppy even though it was only two minutes long.

I believe there was a main event of some description. I like the Kane/Bryan stuff and I like Punk and Ziggler but this was the throwiest awayiest of throw away endings.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I watched the clips on WWE.com and enjoyed them. The show looks great when viewed in 15 minutes. From what I can gather, if all the stuff in the 3 hours was condensed into 2 it would have been bloody good. Antonio is great and should be over, however there not really giving much of a reason for the fans to react to him at the moment.

Thought it was a really good and fun show with the only duds being the God-awful debate and Alberto Del Rio vs Kofi Kingston.

The opening bit was pretty good, though you can tell they are sort coasting a bit with trying to find things for Punk to do while Cena gets fit again. but its not a bad thing, Punk is shining again in this heel role and the absolute shit he was doing only a few months ago seems like a far distant memory.

Sin Cara and Rey Mysterio (with gorgeous matching gear) vs Primo and Epico was really class, loved it all, crowd were into it big time. Can def see the team of Mysterio and Cara as a long term thing which may suit both of them. Ditch the shirt though Rey, you cant possibly be that podgy under there!

Brodus vs Cesaro wasnt much but purely worth it for that awesome Neutraliser. Im starting to dig Cesaro and that win may do him some good. I think the Funkasaurus' days are numbered.

The Miz vs Zack Ryder was fine but as JLM said both of them for me atm are fast-forward material. It didnt really lead to anything.

The debate was shite, absolute shite. Hated it, hate Sheamus when hes not wrestling. But luckily he made up for that with a stormer of a match with Sandow!

Ryback is getting there isnt he? Shame he couldnt deliver the finisher to Tensai, didnt he do it rather easy on SD? We'll just say Tensai sandbagged him cause we all hate Tensai anyway.

Heath Slater and his little band could be really good. Enjoyed them beating the crap out of Santino and Heath seems to take anything and run with it, cant wait to see more.

Punk/JR was really good. Arguably it dragged on but hey I suppose they have to fill 3 hours so why not. Ryback vs Punk might be something really interesting in the future.

And the main event was great, the Tag Team Champions are like, so over. It really makes me care about the Division and the tournament is really adding a lot of credibility too. AND Dolph Ziggler didnt get pinned. Weird. Im enjoying the friction between him and Vickie, its about time to split them up and let Ziggler sink or swim on his own.

Fun show overall, may be back to same old rubbish net week but there was lots of progression and lots of build up and things to look forward too :thumbsup:

haha, sorry man. I was thinking of it after watching Raw. Both men got squashed in only a couple minutes! Back in the 80s that would never happen (although one did face Ryback who is pretty big himself). Now i wish that tag team would happen. Although they'd need new Disaster type names. Earthquake, Typhoon, Hurricane and Tornado have been used already.

JR IN HOMETOWN HUMILIATION SHOCKER. As everyone else said, it was a good 2 hour show. 3 hours is torture. CM Punk is just arse at the moment. I never want another JR segment again, particularly in Oklahoma. He was great on commentary though. Glad to see JBL back.

Can't lie though, I have absolutely no care in the world for WWE at the moment. I just don't give a shit about anything that's happening at all.

They also have the perfect roster for a new Nation of Domanation. Teddy Long, R-Truth, Prime Time Players, Mark Henry, Zeke Jackson. Like a new, black Evolution. I would turn Kofi to but he'd also be the first to turn babyface down the line to face his formers partners.

• Paid Members

Pretend Japanese wrestler doing a natural disaster gimmick might be in poor taste now that I think about it. I am definitely sold on them being a big fat heel tag team though. Love those.

Pretend Japanese wrestler doing a natural disaster gimmick might be in poor taste now that I think about it.

Kinda forgot to take that into consideration. But yeah, general 2 big men tag team. Thats what WWE are missing. Cant be Big Show though, that man has been in well too many tag teams.

JR IN HOMETOWN HUMILIATION SHOCKER.

Huh? Compared to the past, JR looked a million bucks here. He stood his ground with the WWE Champion and had some killer verbiage, particularly the "until then, we've got nothing to talk about". Was he supposed to physically get the better of CM Punk. He stood tall with Ryback at the end of the segment, who was greatly elevated by his simple involvement in a terrific segment.

Looking forward to watching the full show, I watched a condensed highlights video on Youtube as the full show hadn't been uploaded at the time.

• Paid Members

Ryback is the man right now! Last weeks Raw he looked great in the closing segment, looked a beast in the match on Smackdown with Tensai and again last night (apart from the two failed finishers but as already said, we'll put that on Tensai). When his music hit in the segment with JR/Punk/Heyman, the crowd were really into him. The Goldberg chants have dropped off now aswell.

Also, Heath Slaters air guitar taunt is magnificent, especially with Drew headbanging at the side of him.

• Paid Members

I've been saying for months that Clay and Tensai need to be stuck together as a big fat monster heel unit, ever since they've been pretty much flopping. They're both really big and really ugly and covered in terrible tribal tats. They are a perfect fit. They're recent treatment and especially last week gives me hops it could still happen.

Generally a decent show, but made by the brilliant JR/Punk/Ryback segment. Everybody here was excellent. JR played it perfectly, but the star was Punk. Punk has been a revelation since his slow heel turn. He was fast becoming a complete turkey but his bullying prick persona is one of the greatest heel acts of all time. Long may it continue. I love me some Heyman action too, a Heyman/Punk combo running things would be box office, plus we'd get rid of AJ who is completely floundering in the role.

Ryback looked the business. His "let's go" to JR was smooth as fuck and the feed me more chants as he stood there boiling over was a genuine superstar creating moment. It was a shame he couldn't lift Tensai but the commentators done a good job of covering and they could turn it into a positive, with a devastating meat hook reserved for the bigger guys he cant lift.

The debate was shite. Whenever Sheamus opens his mouth I always wish he hadn't. The segment was crap but Big Show turned in a decent showing. Booker doesn't half come across as a right goat at times.

Kaitlyns tits were absolutely banging and Eve is starting to get interesting.

Sheamus/Sandow stole the show. I shuddered when I saw the match fearing a 2 minute demolition but Sandow looked like the real deal. With a band of merry followers I can see this guy going all the way to the top.

Encore looks like it's working, the 3 misfits look great together and funnily enough Heath looks like a natural leader, cool little faction developing there.

6/10

Archived