Dexter Season 7

Steve Justice

• Paid Members

I also really enjoyed the scene with Dexter and Harry showing how far Dexter has come in both good and bad ways. There was some great character development in there, showing how far Dexter has gone since his early days in both good and evil ways.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the reason I still watch Dexter is just because I've watched it from the beginning and just want to see how it ends. The drop in quality is obvious to everyone I'd imagine but I'd still feel slightly annoyed if I'd missed the last series and it turned out to be half decent. (No chance of that happening admittedly.)

I'd rank the series: 1,2,4,5,7,6,3

Quite surprised to see LaGoosh (who I often disagree with but clearly has a brain) overlook the season's flaws and praise, of all things, the 'please, please make it go away' Ghost Dad crap. Fans can point to 'great character development' all they want but this is season seven. I'm kind of astonished that it took this long to get to places the show should really have been by season three.

This season did start with promise, no doubt about it. Granted, after the abortion of Colin Hanks running around with a sword, the only way is up, but I was impressed with the speed of things moving along given I feared an entire season of Dexter deceiving Deb as to his true nature. I think they really missed a trick in wrapping up the Dex/Deb apartment conversation inside five or ten minutes. That could have played out for a whole episode which would have been a nice change of pace for the show and I think, after six seasons, the characters deserved that amount of patience from the viewers. But hey, there's a ridiculous killer dressed like a fucking minotaur to deal with, so on we roll.

Why I really turned on this season was its treatment of Isaak Sirko. Here you had the show's most interesting character since Trinity (I still think more could have been done with Jordan Chase) and a performance from Ray Stevenson that elevated the material and blew away everybody else onscreen, especially the increasingly shaky Michael C. Hall, who, to be fair, is working with absolute shit. That voiceover alone needs to be buried at the bottom of the largest lake known to man. 'Didn't quite get that last scene, viewers? No problem, here's Dexter's shitty inner monologue to explain EVERY LITTLE THING'. But yeah, Stevenson was so fucking good in this role, even when the writers could no longer resist Sirko's sexual ambiguity and hammered it out with neon nails. So what do they do? Off him with three episodes to go in terrifically underwhelming fashion and turn him into a Magical Fucking Negro to teach Dexter about life and love. The only saving grace is that he didn't end up on the table but this was the single biggest waste of an interesting character I've seen in a very long time.

Why care about Hannah? You can't care about the increasingly cartoonish Dexter so gives a fuck about his love interest? She mentions her abusive father in one episode and hey presto here he is in the next to get killed by Dexter. You can connect the dots at every turn here and it's depressing. This season was only going to end one way and it ended that way and we should have been there years ago. It's way too little, way too late. All of the peripheral characters are worthless. There's no tension. And, worst of all, the lead character is boring.

Show sucks. Deal with it, and the fact that I wish to see something through to the bitter end.

• Paid Members
Quite surprised to see LaGoosh (who I often disagree with but clearly has a brain) overlook the season's flaws and praise, of all things, the 'please, please make it go away' Ghost Dad crap.

Usually I loathe the ghost Dad shit but I think I just enjoyed Dexter's revelation that he actually loved his "cover life" and didn't want to lose it. I haven't overlooked Dexter's flaws because fucking hell the show has tons of them and I often find myself groaning at the screen. I wouldn't ever put Dexter anywhere near a best TV show list. But I enjoy it for what it is, mindless trashy fluff. It's one of the few things I can watch with my wife which is probably one of the main reasons I've stuck with it. It's a borderline guilty pleasure.

I think they really missed a trick in wrapping up the Dex/Deb apartment conversation inside five or ten minutes. That could have played out for a whole episode which would have been a nice change of pace for the show and I think, after six seasons, the characters deserved that amount of patience from the viewers.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I think a whole episode of them chatting would have been brilliant. They hinted at how good it would have been several times over the season in small chats between the two, it's frustrating they didn't go the whole way with it. I think the dumbest thing this season was how Deb at the start of the episode found out her brother was a serial killer and then by the end was already starting a "rehab" program for him.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived