UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot * Discussion *

Egg Shen

Who wins muthafucker's??  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I'm picking Hieron and Da Silva by decision.

Bigfoot vs Browne I'm back and forth on. Browne had his most impressive performance to date imo last time out and Bigfoot had the worst beating of his career in his last fight. But if you look at who they both fought, there's a big difference in the level of Chad Griggs and Cain Velasquez.

Bigfoot is hit and miss but he has all the tools and when he's on he's a handful for most Heavyweights. He should be the biggest test yet for Browne I reckon.

I'm leaning towards Browne but Bigfoot's back is against the wall on this one and I think he'll be going all out to save his job. Could be a really good fight. Two monsters with heavy hands and solid ground games. Don't see it going the distance either way.

Sick video. What's the deal with this guy going by 2 different names?

Picking Browne by 1st round KO, Ellenberger by 2nd round TKO, and Jussier by 2nd round submission.

I'm guessing it is just a Brazilian thing. Similar to how Renato Sobral goes by 'Babalu' Sobral more, Ronaldo Souza is 'Jacare' Souza and a lot of the guys on TUF Brazil were going by their nicknames.

• Paid Members

Jussier Da Silva is his proper name. 'Formiga' is his nickname. I think. Cheers for the video Magnum.

I think he'll beat Dodson and I hope he does. Dodson annoyed the hell out of me on TUF.

EDIT - Yeah they do that a lot in Brazil and Japan. They often used to just say Mauricio Shogun in Pride for example. And Murilo Ninja. Dropping the Rua completely a lot of the time. Likewise Rodrigo 'Minotauro' and Rogerio 'Minotoro'.

A recent case of this is Rony Jason on TUF Brazil. His full name is Rony Mariano Bezerra but they use Rony Jason for short.

• Paid Members

yeh it's all to do with that Brazilian thing of being known by their nicknames, or shortended versions of their real names.

Formiga (ant) is his nickname I assume.

Picking Browne by 1st round KO, Ellenberger by 2nd round TKO, and Jussier by 2nd round submission.

Same here. I know Dodson is the more well fighter simply because he's been on The Ultimate Fighter, but he's not fought anyone at this level. One solitary loss to Uncle Creepy is the only mark against Jussier in a career that's went 14-1 thus far.

I have a feeling he'll be 15-1 by the end of this weekend.

• Paid Members

He's looking like potentially a very good fighter but I just can't take to him. Some guys be cocky and I don't care like Sonnen and Hardy. Others I can't stand like Dodson and Mir. Personal taste I suppose.

I just get the feeling with Sonnen, Hardy and Rashad that it's all in fun. Hardy when he's out of the fight talk comes across as one of the more intelligent and cool people in MMA. Sonnen's schtick is all for hype and it's turned his career around. Listen to him on Joe Rogan's podcast and he's seems a good bloke. Rashad is just pissing about. He's a big Roy Jones fan and it shows in some of his mid fight taunting but watch any Q&A or MMA Live/FUEL appearance with him and he's great. Seems like one of the soundest guys in the sport to me.

Conversely, I get the impression if human cloning was ever made possible, Mir and Dodson would clone 10 of themselves and have a gangbang. Just my opinion.

Sorry went off on one there but you smell what I'm cooking.

Wand - I get your point and don't worry about going of on one, I am the king of that :)

Anyway my thoughts on the Main Event

Call me biased, but I feel I saw the two best Heavyweight prospects in the UFC in Nottingham last week. Now Big Foot is far from a prospect, touted in 2007 as the "the man to beat Fedor" after cleaning up in Cage Rage, I for a brief spell was on the warwagon. A loss to journeyman Eric Pele made me think twice, but some still saw him as the next big thing.

Elite XC sold Bill Goldberg that he should sign for the company partially due to the potential of Big Foot and he beat a few low level guys to get the ball rolling, then came the Ricco fight, which a haggard Ricco took him to a very close decision, after a positive drug test and a few wins over cans in Japan, he lost a striking battle with Werdum who at the time was improving as a striker, but was hardly 50% of what he is now.

He beat a petrified and gun-shy Arlovski, almost got knocked out by Mike Kyle who he was much heavier than. Then came his big moment, he did what people thought he could do 4 years before, he beat Fedor. Problem was, Werdum had stolen his thunder, but still it was pretty surreal to see Fedor lose in such a way, Big Foot mangled him in that second round. Fedor grew old that night, and the Heavyweight class moved on.

However, like Buster Douglas, beating "the man" does not mean you become the man. The new generation had fighters that exposed Big Foot, that being when he does not have the size advantage to bully you, he can crumble and be overwelmed in a way that makes his opponent look unbeatable. He could not throw Cain around like he did Fedor, and as Cormier were not gun shy like Andrei, he could pop Big Foot with his powerful hands.

I believe the same will happen on Friday. Travis Browne I need to see more of, I have not seen much other than a lifeless draw with Kongo, a stinker with Broughton who any rising Heavyweight should finish and a win over James McSweeney (wanker) I did not see it but he did knock out Chad Griggs who I think is decent so he must have something to him, but from what I have seen he is not Struve who I thing could be a contender with a bit of polish or Cormier who is going to make a lot of noise underneath Cain/JDS.

Big Foots career peaked the night he slayed Fedor, he will not resign to being a mid level Heavy in the vain of Gonzaga and Kongo. I pick Browne by TKO in the second round.

• Paid Members
I did not see it but he did knock out Chad Griggs who I think is decent so he must have something to him, but from what I have seen he is not Struve who I thing could be a contender

I don't know what to make of Travis Browne quite yet. He's a big fucker with power in his hands and he can move really well for someone his size. Seriously how many 6ft7 heavyweights do you see pulling off shit like this?....

tumblr_m2yxaklopY1qlskhvo1_500.gif

Jose Aldo would be proud of that. Heavyweights are not meant to be doing that stuff. Then he submitted him with an arm triangle shortly after so he's more than just a banger.

He's clearly got something. I'm not fully sold on him yet but he's the dark horse of the division for me. He could go on to be top level or he might be another Kongo.

I think he beats Bigfoot but it depends how he does it. You don't usually walk through Bigfoot unless you're something a bit special so if Browne can do something even close to what Cain and Cormier did then he's looking good. If he goes to a boring decision then maybe he's destined for mid level in the UFC. We'll see.

I defo see Struve, Miocic and Browne having decent careers in the UFC. They're all talented and fairly young, very young in Struve's case, and they will probably be around for a while.

But on Browne being no Struve, there was this...

Travis-Browne-Struve-Superman-Punch-Knockout.gif

Would be interesting to see them fight again down the road because I think Struve has come on a fair bit since their last fight.

Bigfoot and Gonzaga would be two more to add to your underachievers list in the Past Fights thread Jim.

I will do Gonzaga when I have the time and energy, good idea.

I feel like a right plumb forgetting Browne knocking out Struve, I forget how often Struve got knocked out. Looks like he is coming into his own now though.

That is some flying knee on Griggs. Being athletic at heavyweight will always gave you a advantage even in 2012.

Archived