Jimmy Saville

jimufctna24

Opinion  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
Everyone assumed it was John Leslie because Matthew Wright blurted his name out live on TV.

Well, yes, I meant that people took her silence after Wright named him as confirmation that it was him, because otherwise she would've come out and said that it wasn't.

John Leslie's an interesting comparison, as there were rumours about him for years in television backstagery. It was hinted at when Vic Reeves came onto the This Morning set to stop Leslie giving his missus a massage.

When he was charged, and another 25 or so women came out to make similar allegations, lots of people claimed to not be surprised.

Aye. There was a lot of stories going around about him when my mates were at Uni in Edinburgh as well. The accusations against him really weren't surprising at all.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think those celebs who knew these rumours didn't come forward because they were just rumours? or do you think there was a bit of self preservation about it? If someone knew it was going on and did nothing, are they complicit?

It's a murky ground, that's for sure. I'd like to think I'd come forward with information if it was more than a rumour but by the same token, I'd hate to have branded someone with a false allegation that was based on rumour. After all, there are always "No smoke without fire" twats.

Mind you, if it is someone I hate then the "No smoke without fire" rule is legitimate, like Paul Weller, for instance.

Well, Twitter is all kicking off over someone taking out an injunction to prevent them from being linked in with this scandal.

The editor of ITV news tweeted it so I do not think we will be in trouble for saying who it is, if so Neil just delete it, here is the tweet.

"ITV News has successfully overturned an injunction obtained by TV celebrity Freddie Starr"

• Paid Members

"@TomJHarper: A famous living celebrity has obtained injunction preventing media reporting allegations linking him to Jimmy Savile case."

Up until this week, I always mistakenly spelled Savile with two Ls. How about that?

• Paid Members

I was talking about the Freddie Starr thing to my Mam today and a told her guess who's involved in peado-gate now, and she said "Tony Blackburn" and then "Jim Davidson". That got me thinking, "well, probably". The fact she had two plausible names at the ready without thinking is a worry. I don't want to turn this into a "he probably done it as well", but you have to think how many more from that era was at it. Tom O'Connor's a mucky sod as well. And I belt Keith Harris wasn't against raping some young lass as Orville yelled "tek that up ya biffer, slut". And fuck knows where Ken Dodd's feather dusters been. You get a sense this is the beginning of the fall of the 20 quid comedy nights at the local theatre.

The Sunderland Empire is going to be fucked if they ruin 70s comedy. They'll have to shut it down.

The documentary was awful, it definitely made compelling arguments for the allegations but it was trying so hard to make someone fucking a couple of girls who were 1 year under the age of consent 50 years ago seem as dramatic and shocking as possible.

It's not just a couple of girls though, is it? Between the ITV documentary and the ditched Newsnight piece there were no less than ten women making accusations of abuse against Savile. Since the content of the ITV documentary became public early this week there have been more women come forward with information.

It doesn't matter whether a girl is one year under the age of consent or six years, nor whether it was fifty years ago or five weeks ago. It is still illegal and it is still shocking.

Savile clearly refers to his attitude towards young girls in his 1974 autobiography (the one featured in the documentary, where the woman alleges that she was given a copy with the words "No Escape!" penned by Savile) and that coupled with the rumours that people at the BBC and the Dunford Approved School were aware of Savile's behaviour is probably the most appaling aspect of this story.

Whether it's at the BBC in the 1970's, the Catholic Church or in Rochdale and Rotherham in 2012, child abuse is all too readily covered up by people in a position of power. People almost try to defend Jimmy Savile with the obscure line that "those were different times" when, really, nothing has changed.

Archived