Jimmy Saville

jimufctna24

Opinion  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Keith is right though, what's the point of an old man dying in prison, it doesn't help the victims. 

It doesn't help but the legal precedence still needs to be set. If he gets 5 years and serve it concurrently which would be a small punishment and part of the reason for large punishments is to act as a deterrent.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

what's the point of an old man dying in prison, it doesn't help the victims. 

What’s the point of any one going to prison then if there’s no tangible, positive affect on the victims?

1 hour ago, westlondonmist said:

part of the reason for large punishments is to act as a deterrent.

Nah, do rapists think "Oh hang on, I'll get 20 years and not 5 if I rape someone, better not"? Same applies to murderers. Places have the death penalty for murder and there is still murder.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Nah, do rapists think "Oh hang on, I'll get 20 years and not 5 if I rape someone, better not"? Same applies to murderers. Places have the death penalty for murder and there is still murder.

Yeah, for the most part that's true. Stephen Levitt even covers that in Freakonomics. Death penalty just isn't a deterrent. The only real purpose to a long prison sentence is supposedly public safety, keeping someone dangerous away from doing anyone else any harm.

That said, heavy punishments do have one demonstrable, tangible effect, though not relevant to this particular type of offence: it's much more effective against organised crime, making it easier to flip criminals in gangs to turn informant. Doesn't always happen, but apparently much more than it used to.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Keith Houchen said:

Off Topic, I love Freakonomics. I've been pimping http://fivethirtyeight.com to all and sundry in the Baseball and Movie threads, reckon it's your kinda thang.

Cool, will check it out! Also love Freakonomics. Thanks for that.

Archived