Jimmy Saville

jimufctna24

Opinion  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What strikes me is people in 'da business' (that being showbusiness) saying they've had their concerns for as many as 30 years, but did nothing as Savile had so much professional stroke.

So ultimately they're saying they turned a blind eye to child abuse on the basis they didn't want their career prospects harmed.

Spiffing.

It is a bit bad, but like Coleen Nolan said, child abuse wasn't talked about back then anyway. I was talking to someone about this the other day, paedophiles weren't really invented until about the mid-nineties. Before that it was just pervy uncles, cheeky family friends and tactile neighbours. Child abuse didn't have the same stigma it does now unless someone got killed. Domestic violence was the same. In 2012, if you walked in on someone fingering a kid you'd scream blue murder, but in the seventies you'd committed the faux pas by not knocking.

This is true. Back when I was a lad, you'd be shown this vague video about stranger danger, and not accepting sweets/a ride from someone, but the concept that in fact most child abuse happened within the family and/or school environments just wasn't talked about, and if it was it was generally swept under the carpet in the manner the King describes.

The modern paranoia about rogue paedos is actually no better or more enlightened, as the great unwashed now look round every corner for a slavering paedophile ready to snatch up their kid, and yet completely fail to notice that their 10 year old daughter cries every time their new boyfriend comes round, and is quite happy to pop down the bingo and leave her with stepdad.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My favourite bit of the Theroux/Eubank doc was when Eubank was denying he ever swears.

Pah! Eubank once wonderfully described Don King to me and my brother when we were chatting with him once as "a money-grabbing fuckdog", before profusely apologising to an elderly lady who had walked past within earshot.

He's absolutely barking mad, shrewd at times and eccentric at others, but his heart's in the right place.

Anyway, back to Savile. I remember, when he was still alive, I was at the Edinburgh Fringe, and because of the volume of shows you see, you notice trends of common themes among people that you wouldn't notice by seeing one-off shows once in a while and I remember one year, there was about three different mentions of Jimmy Savile by comedians, alluding to him being a nonce, but also alluding to the fact that you couldn't mention it. I know it's hardly concrete evidence, but it does seem to have been an open secret among people in the entertainment business for decades.

• Paid Members

From that BBC report..

But fellow broadcaster Paul Gambaccini said he had been "waiting 30 years" for such stories to come out.

Speaking on ITV1's Daybreak programme, he said newspapers had been primed to run similar stories while Sir Jimmy was alive, but the star had intervened to prevent their publication.

"On [one] occasion, and this cuts to the chase of the whole matter, he was called and he said 'well you could run that story, but if you do there goes the funds that come in to Stoke Mandeville - do you want to be responsible for the drying up of the charity donations'. And they backed down."

Classy guy.

It's worrying that there seems to have been some sort of seedy Seventies actors sex ring going around care homes and hospitals preying on young girls. I bet some well known old actors are shitting themselves right now. Hope they get hung up by the cock and balls.

The thing that really staggers me about this story is the reaction of a large group of people who say, "why are they only coming forward now that he's dead?" or "they must be looking for money". The attempt to criminalise the alleged victim. I can't understand that mindset.

We're not talking about an individual case or two women here. I think there's a figure of between five and ten women coming forward for this documentary. And their stories all corroborate each other.

It is difficult to overstate how big a public figure Savile was in the 70's and 80's, and it is certainly understandable why a vulnerable young girl would find it daunting to make allegations against him. It is not uncommon for allegations of child abuse to be made against a person decades after the event.

It's interesting to read today of Savile's reaction in 2009 to the arrest of Gary Glitter, with the recording also forming part of ITV's documentary:

Now Gary, all he did was to take his computer into PC World to get it repaired. They went into the hard drive, saw all these dodgy pictures and told the police and the police then

The thing that really staggers me about this story is the reaction of a large group of people who say, "why are they only coming forward now that he's dead?" or "they must be looking for money". The attempt to criminalise the alleged victim. I can't understand that mindset.

We're not talking about an individual case or two women here. I think there's a figure of between five and ten women coming forward for this documentary. And their stories all corroborate each other.

It's certainly not the case as far as I'm concerned, but at the same time I'm not going to buy into it just because there's been some allegations in the press. It's perfectly possible that Saville was guilty of these crimes, but it's also perfectly possible that there are people who are seeing an opportunity to make some money out of this.

Time will tell, even if the media and most of the public will have Jimmy down as a raging sex maniac already.

In one way it's a bit lopsided if the chap is now passed on and has no right of reply and, even if bollocks, will tarnish what was on the whole a pretty strong reputation between all his good deeds and various charity works.

However if there are numerous people will with stories which tott up with each other then i suppose there is a case to answer?

As people have alluded to above it sounds like 'old school peadoing' whereby giving someone in a position of trust access to children wasn't even given a second thought and you now see all the stories of guys of Saville's generation getting pulled and often prosecuted for stuff from thats went on as far back as the 60's and 70's when they were Scout leaders, youth group workers, priests, etc, etc.

I personally used to go to a youth group and football coaching ran by Thomas Hamilton who was responsible for the Dunblane shootings. After all that unraveled in the press regarding his previous wrongdoings we were sat down by parents and offered counselling, etc but not a word of a lie nothing seemed untoward at the time but thats obviously ignorance and innocence of childhood which you aren't really aware of untill older and wiser with the benefit of hindsight looking back. The only thing approaching mildly dodgy we had was bibs and skins when we played football if it was warm indoors, however that happened with various PE teachers at school and was pretty run of the mill. If you heard of that sort of thing now there would be a lynch mob at the school and people getting listed on the sex offenders register.

Very different generation and society these days.

• Paid Members
Pah! Eubank once wonderfully described Don King to me and my brother when we were chatting with him once as "a money-grabbing fuckdog", before profusely apologising to an elderly lady who had walked past within earshot.

Haha "money grabbing fuckdog". I'd love to hear Eubank away from the cameras, I can't put his voice and swear words together at all in my imagination.

Back on Saville, anyone reckon there might end up being a backlash against the police coming out of this? Obviously it depends what this documentary uncovers but if it turns out Saville was thought to be fiddling by the police and they turned a blind eye because he was considered 'untouchable', too loved by the public or to keep his charity money coming in then there will surely be serious questions asked. Same with newspapers which may have done the same.

With the recent findings from the Hillsborough case, a paedo cover up story would be disaster for the Old Bill.

Archived