Jimmy Saville

jimufctna24

Opinion  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Off topic, but Eubank's son is developing into a tasty fighter too, and he's got his old man accompanying him to the ring to provide thinkology.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having been too young to have grown up with Jimmy on the telly I always saw him as a weird, creepy old man so I cant say im too surprised by the allegations. With these kinds of topics ive always believed that the saying 'theres no smoke without fire' to be somewhat true though. Its amazing how some parts of the public have reacted to this in massive defence of Saville though, particularly his family who in statements barely acknowledged the severity of these potential crimes and instead spoke about the damage to his legacy and charities.

• Paid Members

Yeah I like Eubank Jr.

My favourite bit of the Theroux/Eubank doc was when Eubank was denying he ever swears. Louis reminded him of a story Eubank told him of a run in with another boxer (Naseem)...

Louis: Remember what you told me you called him?

Eubank: Oh, you mean runt?

Louis: It rhymed with that.

Eubank:....(looking worried)......Do you have this on camera?

Louis: No.

Eubank: (smiling) What a shame.

I love Eubank.

Having been too young to have grown up with Jimmy on the telly I always saw him as a weird, creepy old man so I cant say im too surprised by the allegations. With these kinds of topics ive always believed that the saying 'theres no smoke without fire' to be somewhat true though. Its amazing how some parts of the public have reacted to this in massive defence of Saville though, particularly his family who in statements barely acknowledged the severity of these potential crimes and instead spoke about the damage to his legacy and charities.

If it was family though, you would tend to take their word over a group of random middle-aged women, especially if you suspect they've been paid money to make these claims - it's just human nature. That is, of course, unless the relatives have personally had experiences of him that led them to think that way.

If it was family though, you would tend to take their word over a group of random middle-aged women, especially if you suspect they've been paid money to make these claims - it's just human nature. That is, of course, unless the relatives have personally had experiences of him that led them to think that way.

Yeah maybe, I just found it odd that they denied the claims out of hand, rather than saying that the claims should be investigated or something like that and were more worried about Jimmys legacy being damaged, rather than he might have been/probably was a raging paedophile and want the matter concluded.

I'm not meaning to single out the two posters quoted below, but these types of stories are usually always the ones linked with scandals of this sort. The old "I knew this guy who knew a guy" type of stuff that no one can validate.

A good mate

I'm not meaning to single out the two posters quoted below, but these types of stories are usually always the ones linked with scandals of this sort. The old "I knew this guy who knew a guy" type of stuff that no one can validate.

A good mate

As for Louis Theroux, he's a very clever guy who cashes in on his timid appearance and seemingly innocent investigation techniques. Has he ever did a documentary on anyone or any group where they didn't come away looking shady and secretive?

A lot of his recent work on prisons and meth have been excellent and have not concentrated on revealing a side to anyone.

I would have to watch every documentary he has done on celebs again but to be fair he has picked some easy targets for digging. He is clever and does his routine well do get information, but he knew who to pick.

Max Clifford he showed up a treat.

• Paid Members

My ex used to tell me she was very distantly related to Saville. Once apparently he patted her on the head prior to the Great Northern Run, back when she was considerably underage. Thank God. I'm not sure if I'd be disturbed or honoured to think I was stirring Sir Jims porridge.

Harmless eccentric or sinister criminal?

Sinister eccentric. A great man in many ways, although he never did quite fix it for me to "have all the Transformers" despite several letters, and Hogan aside the best WWF Champion there ever was.

As for Louis Theroux, he's a very clever guy who cashes in on his timid appearance and seemingly innocent investigation techniques. Has he ever did a documentary on anyone or any group where they didn't come away looking shady and secretive?

A lot of his recent work on prisons and meth have been excellent and have not concentrated on revealing a side to anyone.

Oh yeah, the documentaries he does on institutions such as prisons and the one you mention there on meth were indeed excellent, but when he's profiling a celebrity or fringe group of any kind you just know it isn't going to end well.

Don't get me wrong, in many cases I'm glad it didn't. Wasn't it also said that Theroux remained friends with Saville afterwards? What does that say about him then?

He did indeed stay friends, but if you read the post I put on the other page, he is not shocked about the allegations. By the end of their documentary they did seem to be getting on really well, its like he thought "he maybe a bit loony and a bit shady, but he is harmless"

There is one he did about people believing there is a new world order, where he gets on with one of the guys really well and seems to really care about his well being, despite not agreeing with his far out views. You come away from that thinking that the guy is a nice genuine guy who is ill-informed.

What strikes me is people in 'da business' (that being showbusiness) saying they've had their concerns for as many as 30 years, but did nothing as Savile had so much professional stroke.

So ultimately they're saying they turned a blind eye to child abuse on the basis they didn't want their career prospects harmed.

Spiffing.

It is a bit bad, but like Coleen Nolan said, child abuse wasn't talked about back then anyway. I was talking to someone about this the other day, paedophiles weren't really invented until about the mid-nineties. Before that it was just pervy uncles, cheeky family friends and tactile neighbours. Child abuse didn't have the same stigma it does now unless someone got killed. Domestic violence was the same. In 2012, if you walked in on someone fingering a kid you'd scream blue murder, but in the seventies you'd committed the faux pas by not knocking.

Archived