The Strap

psyclown

• Paid Members
I think you've got a point there. I could probably name every champ from Bob Backlund up until the Austin beat Kane on Raw the next night. After that I'd be struggling for the most part.

You could find out using this Sporcle quiz. I did the first champ till Kane in a shade over 90 seconds (most of them can be entered just as surnames but I stumbled because one of them needed the whole name entering). I didn't bother after Kane's reign because I know from trying the quiz in the past that I struggle greatly with anything after 2001. Note, by the way, that it's first-time champions, so multi-time champs only appear once in the list.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Just tried to remember all the WWE title changes from Backlund to present. Got as far as 2009 with Triple H. I know he lost it to Orton or Cena, and then those two traded it a couple of times. But I can't remember the specifics at all.

Lost it to Orton in a 6-man tag at Backlash (Legacy vs HHH, Shane McMahon and Batista). Batista beat Orton for it in a cage match at Extreme Rules (which was in June that year), vacated it when he tore his bicep, Orton won it back in a 4-way on Raw with Triple H, Cena and Big Show, then traded it back and forth with Cena a couple of times before Sheamus beat Cena for it at TLC.

I had to look that up.

Just tried to remember all the WWE title changes from Backlund to present. Got as far as 2009 with Triple H. I know he lost it to Orton or Cena, and then those two traded it a couple of times. But I can't remember the specifics at all.

Lost it to Orton in a 6-man tag at Backlash (Legacy vs HHH, Shane McMahon and Batista). Batista beat Orton for it in a cage match at Extreme Rules (which was in June that year), vacated it when he tore his bicep, Orton won it back in a 4-way on Raw with Triple H, Cena and Big Show, then traded it back and forth with Cena a couple of times before Sheamus beat Cena for it at TLC.

I had to look that up.

Yeah, I remember all that now you say it, HHH got stretchered out of the six man. But I'd completely forgotten that until you triggered it. I would never have remembered Batista's injury or that 4 way on my own. Oddly enough, I can remember every World title change in the last decade.

• Paid Members

Here's a guess - Rogers, Sammartino, Stasiak, Pedro, Koloff, Sammartino, Billy Graham, Backlund. I've probably got that slightly wrong.

Apart from late 90's Nash and Hogan

Yeah, Hogan never put anyone over in the 90s, did he.

4123430.jpg

Weathers, how old are you? From some of the post you make, your general posting style, kicking the toys out of the pram whenever anyone disagrees and the terrible OCD and/or ADD evidenced by your near constant changes of sig & avatar, I'd say you're either a young teen, or you have actual mental health issues. I'm interested as to which one is the case.

• Paid Members
Here's a guess - Rogers, Sammartino, Stasiak, Pedro, Koloff, Sammartino, Billy Graham, Backlund. I've probably got that slightly wrong.

Yeh, only slightly though - switch Stasiak and Koloff around.

• Paid Members

Almost, just swap the 'Russian' and Mr Heart Punch around.

Aw, bollocks to you Carbomb :angry:

• Paid Members
It stopped meaning something on the day they created a second world title.

If even the company don't know who their champion is, why would anyone else?

Pretty much how I see it.

"Who's that guy?"

"Him? Oh, he's the best in the world."

"And what about that guy?"

"He's the best in the world."

"But-"

"SILENCE!"

This is an interesting point but a very valid one I'd never considered before. With spreading that notoriety of being "champion" thinner it does make the status that accompanies it less. Obviously a person has to be at a certain level but in the past I've got the impression the belt and person went hand in hand, the big name got that last little nudge form being the man with the belt. Likewise that strength of the belt was protected by the belt going to the person who had "it", for the most part anyway.

With two it's hard to really keep that, especially along with hotshotting the belt around and having it massively exposed on TV since the very late 90's.

On the converse to that though Jeff Hardy's quest to win the belt the other year and beat HHH was just amazing, and it sat in a big way around what that belt meant, so it must mean something somewhere still. It just isn't as prolific a tool as it was or could be.

• Paid Members
Wasn't Billy Graham a two time champ?

'Fraid not. Bruno was the only guy that had two reigns pre-Hogan, unless you count Backlund with the hot potato switches with Inoki over in Japland that the WWF never acknowledged.

I wouldn't get anywhere trying to list Intercontinental champions. I can go back as far as Savage but I'd lose track somewhere around Jarrett and Razor's house show switches. Tag titles, I can get back about as far as Hart Foundation's last one, to Nasty Boys, then Legion of Doom, then I don't even know. Natural Disasters, Money Inc, Steiners all had the titles but I couldn't place the order of it.

• Paid Members

Ok, my stab at tag titles from 1990 onwards:

Colossal Connection

Demolition

Hart Foundation

Nasties

LOD

Natural Disasters

Money Inc?

Steiners

Headshrinkers

Smoking Gunns

Oh fuck knows why I'm even bothering. It ain't happening and I'm probably way off already.

Archived