The Strap

psyclown

So Edge and Miz are jobbers, yet in the "Who's the next Man?" thead your the spacker who thinks Tyson Kidd should be pushed hard and could carry the company?

Fuck yeah he should be pushed hard.....I said eventually he would carry the company. I mean honestly who would have thought 8 or 9 years ago some vanilla ice hip hop chump would be the face of the company

That's the world we live in now their no such as "star power" in the industry anymore.......and since they are throwing the belts around and giving them to the likes of Miz and Khali why not give it to Kidd he could wrestle rings round both of them

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering all that, they are doing a good job at the moment of giving it back some prestige.

Not really. They've got two long-running champions at the moment, but that's not particularly prestigious when they've barely main-evented a pay-per-view between them during their reigns. If WWE didn't have the likes of Brock and Rock selling PPVs and had to rely on title matches doing it, they wouldn't get away with just hiding world champions in the mid card to rack up days. Crosses on the calendar, in and of themselves, don't add much prestige to the belts for me. Being WWE champion doesn't mean anymore in 2012 than it did in 2010, ultimately. And it means way less than it did in 1999.

• Paid Members
Considering all that, they are doing a good job at the moment of giving it back some prestige.

Not really. They've got two long-running champions at the moment, but that's not particularly prestigious when they've barely main-evented a pay-per-view between them during their reigns. If WWE didn't have the likes of Brock and Rock selling PPVs and had to rely on title matches doing it, they wouldn't get away with just hiding world champions in the mid card to rack up days. Crosses on the calendar, in and of themselves, don't add much prestige to the belts for me. Being WWE champion doesn't mean anymore in 2012 than it did in 2010, ultimately. And it means way less than it did in 1999.

I disagree. Not on the reigns themselves, Punk has obviously been positioned below Cena the whole time. But they've created two stable champions, two guys who've fought off all challengers and who've defended the belts convincingly. They've created a scenario where the belts are sought after (by Cena and Del Rio every fucking month granted) and when those belts are eventually won by someone else, it will mean more than when they won them in the first place. I don't think all short title reigns are evil but as soon as you stop passing the belt between Austin, Rock, Foley and Trips and start chucking it between Hardy, Punk, Jericho and Edge or something, the champion isn't going to sell the thing. So you've got to create a credible champion. I think they've done that.

when those belts are eventually won by someone else, it will mean more than when they won them in the first place.

I don't think it will. If Cena wins it from Punk, it's just another Cena title win. If Rock wins it from Punk, it's huge because it's The Rock. It's irrelevant whether Punk's reign before it was 14 months or 14 days. If Ziggler cashes in successfully on Sheamus, it's noteworthy because it's that bloke who bumps finally arriving, it's not because he's ending a momentous title run. The only thing the long reigns do is give Punk some future bragging rights, like Jericho milking his damp squib Undisputed reign eleven years later.

• Paid Members

I still think being WWE Champion means something and the belt has a fair amount of prestige. The World Heavyweight Championship finally got some credibility back when Mizark was kickass, charging people to breath and just being awesome but since he lost it it's pretty rapidly gone downhill. It helped get Daniel Bryan over but at the same time diminished it.

It stops meaning something when it's not promoted as the most important thing in the world to the man who holds it. Look at that Harley Race promo that got posted "I am the worlds heavyweight wrestling champion... He gave the impression that being the champ was all there was in the world and he'd kill any man who tried to take it from him.

When did it stop? - David Arquette, Vince MacMahon, Vince f'n Russo as World Champs? In wrestling terms when Rey won it as part of the cash in on Eddie's death. If you want to go back further then Slaughter winning just to set up the Iraq-US WM main event.

When it meant something again - Edge's reigns, you felt like he tried to make it important again and that it meant something to him.

It stopped meaning something on the day they created a second world title.

If even the company don't know who their champion is, why would anyone else?

I don't think the long reigns really matter that much, neither The Rock or Triple H had a particularly long title reign in 2000 and yet the belt the belt definitely seemed like the most important thing on the show

I think the main problem is fans are jaded from the 2007/8 period where there seemed to be a cycle of three month feuds involving the belt (particularly the World Heavyweight Championship) where the belt would change hands twice in three months and whoever came out of the feud with the belt went into a three month feud with someone else with pretty much the same thing happening over and over (hence why Edge has so many title reigns and yet only his first is really memorable)

As much as I like Punk and I would like to think a long title reign would improve the standing of the belt and the wrestler holding it, as Pity pointed out, if the belt is never in a main event spot then fans aren't going to treat it as the focal point of the company

• Paid Members

Pretty much how I see it.

"Who's that guy?"

"Him? Oh, he's the best in the world."

"And what about that guy?"

"He's the best in the world."

"But-"

"SILENCE!"

"Who's that guy?"

"But-"

"SILENCE!"

I've always associated whoever is Raw champion as being the proper champion but whenever my Dad or anyone asks why there's two champions I just say the belt Punk has is basically the one Hogan and Bret Hart had, explains it simply enough

"Who's that guy?"

"But-"

"SILENCE!"

I've always associated whoever is Raw champion as being the proper champion but whenever my Dad or anyone asks why there's two champions I just say the belt Punk has is basically the one Hogan and Bret Hart had, explains it simply enough

So Edge and Miz are jobbers, yet in the "Who's the next Man?" thead your the spacker who thinks Tyson Kidd should be pushed hard and could carry the company?

Just to add to this. This week on Raw, it was Tyson Kidd who got the jobber "currently in the ring" untelevised entrance/introduction. Even Justin Gabriel got an entrance last week :laugh:

Archived