Impact Discussion 20/9/12

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Impact was alright for the most part. Some decent matches. Shaq appeared for 30 seconds and the Aces and Eights smashed a hammer over Joseph Park's head. Killing him dead I assume. The Aces and Eights thing was so terrible. This angle's dead on its arse. How can you get into them? Its a bunch of fat lads wearing outfits that look very cheap doing the same thing every single week and nothing happening. And the fact Abyss is probably coming back says it all. Hogan's going into the "club house" next week, so fuck knows whats going on there. It is the Dungeon of Doom angle again. Where Hogan went into the Dungeon to confront the master. I doubt the Big Show is debuting next week, though. Just Mike Knox and D'Lo.

There were positives though. The opening tag match with Angle and AJ vs Chavo and Hernandez was decent, Roode and Storm had a good brawl and Aries and Bully had a pretty good main event which Bully Ray actually won, which was baffling. Everything that wasn't an skit was good to be fair. Cant fault the workers.

It's sad you're not feeling the Aces&8s any more Ian. I'm still loving it. I can't explain exactly why, but I think it's because it's something new - TNA's not done an invasion angle before, and having it as a biker gang is really cool.

Even if it's just giving Hogan and Sting something to do at BFG, it's still worth it. A big old pier 6 brawl in a cage will be a nice spectacle. And I still maintain it's a more interesting way of introducing some new wrestlers than "... wait, isn't that [insert name]... what's he doing here?"

Hogan's going into the "club house" next week, so fuck knows whats going on there. It is the Dungeon of Doom angle again. Where Hogan went into the Dungeon to confront the master.

And I, for one, cannot wait! :thumbsup:

Bully to wangle himself in to the title match at BFG now then? And maybe go over? He'd deserve it.

I laughed so hard at Bully Ray just before the main event. Some dude slaps Bully on the back and Bully threatens to smash his face in, 10 seconds later some spaz does exactly the same. Bully just looks at him and goes "forget about it!" :laugh:

I'm still into the whole Aces and Eights angle, but it's been dragged out a fair bit now. Been promised for a few weeks for a reveal, it absolutely needs to happen next week.

• Paid Members

It's almost as though they've relegated the Aces & Eights angle to the midcard. It is indeed getting dull, the reveal should have happened by now.

Not a bad episode of Impact, the stand out moment for me was Aries literally kicking Bully when he was down while wearing Bully's cap. Piss-taking at its best.

The show was alright as a whole (with some quality wrestling on it) but the best thing was Daniels hosting most of last night's post show. Absolutely tremendous stuff by "the sultan of seduction". It's amazing how entertaining Daniels has been this year, doing his best work to date in his 19-year career.

He's finally stopped worrying about workrate (and his injuries have slowed him down) and realised that his character will sell him better than any number of moonsaults. It's just a pity it's taken him this long to get to this stage.

• Paid Members

I agree the best thing on the show was Bully Ray and the downy. Terrific bit of timing from Bully.

The Aces & Eights is funny old angle. Since Hogan came back it's turned into a bit of a cartoon, I'm personally enjoying all the ham that they're serving us though (it's starting to resemble an 80s action film). Hopefully Hogan brings back his incredible grunting next week. While I can't be arsed with Abyss, the idea of them morphing him into an Bruce Banner-type character makes him slightly more appealing - at least he can keep playing Joseph Parks.

I think the change in Daniels has to do with him getting rid of the whole 'Fallen Angel' gimmick. It felt really forced when he use to paint his face and get done up like a demented vicar, since becoming just a smug git and the 'Sultan of Seduction' he has excelled like never before. Good for him.

• Paid Members

The pressures off him now. Hogan and Bischoff have got his back, so he knows he'll not be told to dress up as Curry Man or go to ROH for a bit like before. He's essentially got the run of the place and can say what he likes. Notice how Hogan's always in their segments getting the rub off them of all things. Hogan loves him. Its quite surreal. For years, as Loki said, he was the indy guy. Had all the indy lovers sucking him off and the likes of Michael Hayes and Vince Russo thinking he was a geek who was either not worth hiring or only worthy of being a X Divy. Its just strange that I always thought he'd be exactly who Hogan wouldn't like, but in fact he's someone he absolutely loves.

Also, Kaz doesn't look the same bloke. He's went from being the poster boy for independent wankery. Someone who had a lot of things going for him and nothing going for him at the same time. Now he's an established tag team wrestler who has a golden tongue on the mic. I suppose it shows if someone believes in you, you reach down and make the best of it. I hope the same happens with Matt Morgan when he returns. Stranger things have happened.

Bully Ray & the retard was brilliant. More for doing the 'tongue in bottom lip mong face' while shouting TWOOOO...TWOOOO! during the match.

If I told you Bully Ray & Daniels would be the best thing about TNA 18 months ago, you'd have given me the 'Stormy Weathers treatment'

Also, rather amazingly the Bully Ray/Retard thing made me completely forget about the blonde chick who quite clearly kept shouting 'FUCK YOU, YOU SUCK ROODE, FUCK YOU' during the Roode/Storm brawl. Its almost as if the production team gave up on trying to mute it out and just let it slide.

• Paid Members

Will echo the love for Daniels current run, was never a fan before. He was the poster boy for generic indy wrestling, even I, a massive ROH fan, got irritated when he'd cut promos as this great Fallen Angel character, make a great entrance in character.....and then get his head down, forget he was a heel and workrate it up. Obviously he wasn't always like that more recently but he still seems a completely different guy in this incarnation, which is great for everyone, especially Kaz.

Impact was simply ok this week, they've certainly gone off the boil at the worst time...I don't know what the big sell is for BFG. The Aces stuff, which I loved initially has lost all momentum, Roode/Storm now feel like they've had a million matches, Kurt Angle is being wasted in a three way tag match that has Chavo Guererro in it and Jeff Hardy/Aries if it remains that, isn't a particually enthralling Main Event.

Bringing Bully Ray into that main event, doesn't make the match any better but I'm not sure without him, they could fill 3 weeks worth of tv with just Aries ranting and Jeff Hardy being a bit weird...

Also, where's Kenny King and what happened to the X Division?

Archived