Former rivals players who signed for your team

IANdrewDiceClay

For me, it is the other way around. Seeing Paul Green sign for Leeds this summer broke my f'in heart. For me, he was the perfect example of a Rovers player and he signed for them... gutted is not the word.

How is Billy Paynter doing for you?

Well we have begun to realise that he really is quick over 10 yards... I think that is the distance from his house to the chip shop!

He is still regaining match fitness at the moment and don't believe he will get us the 15-20 a season we need but between him & Robbie Blake we have an experienced strike force who can get on the end of Kyle Bennetts crosses from the wing. i am telling you, that kid is pure class and can't see us keeping hold of him.

I speak to William Gallas on a semi- regular basis. He's a million miles away from the grumpy, stroppy shit he's portrayed as. He seems genuinely nice. Vermaelens a grumpy shite, though.

Coventry don't tend to sign rivals players, but we seem to have lost a lot of players to Villa.

• Paid Members

For Wolves there are two key signings from Albion.

Steve Bull and Andy Thompson.

A completely fucked and financially stricken Wolverhampton Wanderers were languishing in Division 4 signed the pair from local rivals for a combined

Although there have been some notable exceptions back in the days when the old fellas up here used to go to see Sunderland one week and Newcastle the next (Bobs Moncur and Stokoe specifically), signing mags is rightly frowned upon up here these days. It always seems to go embarrassingly tits up for us.

The first notable one of the modern era was Lee Clark. Most Sunderland fans were pretty pleased about this at the time, because the mags in the Keegan era had been a class above us for 4 or 5 years and Clark represented a step up in class for a team who'd just been relegated to the old 1st division. He did really well for us in his first season, too, looking far too good for that league and scoring around 12/13 goals IIRC - I think it was the best spell of Clark's career, to be honest. We narrowly missed out on promotion that year, but, with Clark, Quinn and Phillips scoring for fun, it seemed we were nailed on for the league the year after that.

Then, at the end of the season, Clark travelled to Wembley to see his first love convincingly beaten in the FA Cup final by the Arsenal (it was 1998, although the picture looks like it was taken a hundred years previous) and had this brainfart:

clarkie_smb.jpg

smb.jpg

Unsurprisingly, once the picture hit the local press, he was shipped out in short order. I was gutted at the time, but considering we pissed the league that year and he was replaced in the next year or two with the likes of Stefan Schwarz, Don Hutchison and the mighty Eric Roy :love: , it was no loss.

Although we had a couple of others in the meantime that nobody really remembers playing for Sunderland (Robbie Elliott, and Andrew Cole when he was about 42), the next mag horror story was Michael Chopra. There were mixed feelings with this one, partly because of the way Clark turned out, but he'd scored a hatful for Cardiff and, as our most potent striker at the time was Stern John, there seemed to be some logic in it. He scored some important goals that season without really making a massive impact, but he had a piss poor attitude, and reportedly spent more time in Aspers and in rehab than he did on the pitch in his time with us. By the following January, we had Cisse and Jones up front, and there weren't many opportunities for Chopra and his fellow waster, Stokes.

The day before the end of the January transfer window, we played Newcastle at the Sports Direct Arena, and due to an injury to Cisse, Chopra got his chance. About 15 minutes from the end, he was put clean through on goal, but, rather than putting away what should have been an easy chance for a supposedly 'natural' goalscorer and turn the relegation screw on his boyhood club, he 'squared' it to Jones, who unsurprisingly failed to make anything of the wayward 'pass'. Nobody will convince me that he didn't bottle that chance because of his mag affiliations - particularly considering he seemed to be in last chance saloon at Sunderland - and management obviously felt similar, because he was shipped out on loan to Cardiff the next day and never played for us again.

The only associations we've had with people with mag links since were Bruce (failed to win a derby match in 3 attempts, led us to our heaviest defeat against the mags in living memory, and repeatedly slagged off our fans en route to his richly deserved dismissal) and Bramble (sent off in the aforementioned derby defeat and two high profile court cases to his name in his time here) - Saha doesn't count as he was only there on loan about a decade ago. Even if you offered me the chance to sign Ba or Ben Arfa tomorrow, I don't think I'd take it because nothing good can come of us signing any of that lot.

Archived