Money matches in Yank wrestling

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

Are there many left? Matches that would genuinely draw money. I can think of a few but you'll notice a pattern! Anymore?

The Rock vs. CM Punk - I'd consider this a potential draw given that they've never met and Punk has some momentum from his heel turn and his long title reign.

The Rock vs. Randy Orton - I still think there's money in this one. I know Orton has slipped way down the pecking order in the last couple of years but I think you could sell this one easily enough. Could make it a battle for the greatest 3rd gen wrestler ever and throw in Mike McGillicutty!

To save listing a load of Rock matches, I still think there are big matches with him in that would sell. They've all been done before but I'm certain people would pay to see him against Cena, Undertaker, Lesnar and Triple H. Rock/Trips one more time would be mint.

The Rock vs. Shawn Michaels - probably the last "dream" match left. Don't know how or when this thing could happen but I'd bloody love to see it.

John Cena vs. The Undertaker - This has been done before but not for so long that it's almost a dream match at this point. This has to happen at the next WrestleMania or I might just cry my eyes out.

This ones debatable, let me know what you think. It'd need to follow a Cena heel turn to have a real effect but I think it's a seller:

John Cena vs. Rey Misterio

I've considered some of the TNA guys but I can't really see an money matches. Feel free to disagree. Heel Cena vs. Jeff Hardy might sell some tickets.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rock vs. CM Punk - I'd consider this a potential draw given that they've never met and Punk has some momentum from his heel turn and his long title reign.

Yeah. I'd pay to watch it

The Rock vs. Randy Orton

Pass. This match would bore me to tears

The Rock vs. Shawn Michaels

pass. Rather watch shawn and triple H go at it.

John Cena vs. The Undertaker

Yup. Cena ending the streak would be tidy as well

John Cena vs. Rey Misterio

no ta

WrestleMania XXX

WWE Championship vs Streak

John Cena vs The Undertaker

Cena vs Taker will be EPIC when it happens.

This match excites me more than any other money match possible.

I don't even think it needs a belt on the line as well.

EDIT: Oh and a Hulk Hogan vs ??? in his farewell match at WrestleMania.

He might be broken up but when $$$ talks he'll be there on the biggest stage taking all the glory no doubt about it.

• Paid Members

I personally have always said, if you wanted to turn Cena Heel, doing it against Taker at WM will be the place to do it.

It'd be a standard Cena performance until he blind side Taker with chair (after the obligatory 7 Tombstones/AA's each), and locks in the STFU to make him tap.

People want him heel, but I think this would make him the biggest Heel in the WWE, ever.

Cena needs to have something of worth on the line for that match. Otherwise there's no suspense. And Cena should win. You can always have a Taker retirement story further down the line to give him a last match afterwards.

The whole legacy of the character revolves around that streak, to have it end destroys its meaning.

Disagree completely with that logic. They can't undo the 20 wins, no-ones ever going to match it, the streak is totally safe and will go down in wrestling folklore generations from now. Nothing that happens now is going to make any difference to his 'legacy'. Furthermore, when he retires for good, there's little point in keeping it alive if there aren't going to be any more matches to promote using it.

Getting to 20 was probably necessary for the rounded figure, the DVDs and other spin-offs, but it's not really important to keep it going for much longer imo, unless they plan to have Taker continue working big Wrestlemania money matches for many years to come.

On the original question, there's probably still a few in addition to those if you consider mixing the current active WWE roster with retired guys like Austin and Michaels, and TNA guys. i.e Sting, if Hogan's completely finished.

Another one I think could be pretty massive would be Batista v Lesnar

Obviously there's still loads of matches we've already seen too, doesn't mean they wouldn't make lots of money.

• Paid Members
For me, The Undertaker's legacy is that streak. Now, losing it might not be the end all for that legacy, but it wouldn't do any good. When he goes into the Hall of Fame, we should be hearing "he never lost a Wrestlemania match". That's the thing that immortalises him.

While true, there's no value in a retired "immortal" pro-wrestler. The worth is in the guy who ends the streak. The Undertaker is set for life. It doesn't matter to him personally if he loses. It's not like he's not going to get bookings for autograph events and stuff because he's 20-1 at WrestleMania.

Archived