Best Tablet Device

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

about to move back in with my parents which is going to leave me with the luxury of having a few extra quid flying around the place. So im seriously thinking of picking up a tablet, i'd never considered it before but i'm thinking of getting one now.

I've looked about online but every one seems to have pro-con arguments, anyone here have one and recommend?

At first i obviously thought iPad as that's the most popular one but there's the budget Google Nexus which offers the same kind of thing for half the price, but i aint sure....there's a ton of other ones on the market too so i dont know, it's blowing my tiny mind.

Any tips, advice?

• Paid Members

I was given a Google Nexus for my birthday. Works perfectly well. Simpler to use in some ways than an Ipad. Can be fiddly when trying to post pictures . In fact I use a proper PC to do that.

Highly reccomended if all you want to do is watch videos and surf the web. Useful as a photo album too.

The Google Nexus 7 is great, but a nightmare when it comes to sending attachments from a Hotmail account. Mine seems to have started running a bit slower lately as well.

Amazon are bringing out the new Kindle Fire HD soon, which might be better than the Google, but might not be. The 32GB model is the same price as the 16GB Google. I'd hang on til people get their hands on the new Amazon ones before making a choice, if you can. Or if not, go for the Google now, you probably won't regret it either way.

Steve, I think for

Which ever way you look at it, the Nexus 7 is absolutely phenomenal value. Also worth noting that a rival iPad Mini is rumoured to be announced in the next few months, which might be worth a look.

Going up the scale, there is obviously the iPad, the newest Galaxy Tab and a whole bunch of Windows 8 tablets will be coming out in November.

All comes down to personal preference and the features you will be using the most, really. Great specifications don't always translate to a great user experience.

I'd definitely recommend the nexus 7. I'm not sure what problems people are having with attachments. It's always been simple for me. As far as the kindle fire goes, remember it will be somewhat locked down so you won't be able to access the main play store and stuff like that.

• Paid Members

Another couple of issues with the Nexus. It doesn't support Adobe Flash. Meaning you won't be able to watch certain vids. YouTube works fine. It does buffer a bit at times . Not sure if that's my internet connection though. Although I don't have that issue on my HTC DHD.

Another thing that absolutely boggles my mind is that they have chosen to disable the USB port for all but charging. It can't be used for data transfer. Unless you have the Nexus rooted. Bluetooth works well.

I really like it though.

I'd definitely recommend the nexus 7. I'm not sure what problems people are having with attachments. It's always been simple for me.

You're able to send attachments through Hotmail on the Nexus 7 without problems? Which browser? The Hotmail app doesn't even display attachments (or pictures). Chrome displays attachments received but doesn't allow sending any. Firefox allows attaching but typing text in Hotmail on it is wonky.

• Paid Members

How is the Playbook? It looks good for that price. Tell me more. Would i be able to use my phone as a portable wireless hotspot and connect the Playbook to it? I don't see why not but wanna make sure.

For cheapness you can't knock what the Dixons group are peddling Playbooks for. Premium hardware, but weaker app support. 64gb version for

• Paid Members

The Blackberry Playbook looks a steal at that price. What's the catch? Is the App market incredibly shit?

I'm thinking of getting my girlfriend a Tablet for Christmas. Google Nexus seems to be ticking the right boxes so far.

Archived