WILL MURPHY BE ON AT HANLEY

PATTIJ

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see the OP's points here about Ligero and old school thoughts. To the OP's father wrestling to him is all about just pure grappling and keeping things to the mat with the occasional striking with punches and forearms. To someone old school like the OP's father a wrestler like El Ligero won't appeal as doing high risk flying moves despite they entertain and are flashy is not actually physical grappling in holds to an old school wrestling fan.

• Paid Members
I can see the OP's points here about Ligero and old school thoughts. To the OP's father wrestling to him is all about just pure grappling and keeping things to the mat with the occasional striking with punches and forearms. To someone old school like the OP's father a wrestler like El Ligero won't appeal as doing high risk flying moves despite they entertain and are flashy is not actually physical grappling in holds to an old school wrestling fan.

No closed fists you bell.

• Paid Members

Except that "old school" British wrestling wasn't just pure grappling and keeping things on the mat, you spazwich. Look up Ken Joyce vs Johnny Saint and you've got what is essentially a face/face spotfest, with them doing cartwheels and handsprings to counter moves.

Imports like Owen Hart and Sammy Lee brought in highflying showmanship. Why do you think Liger had the name Flying Fuji Yamada?

Here you go. Here's Sammy Lee (AKA: Tiger Mask) bringing his trademark blend of Japanese and Lucha to the ring against the fucking awesome Cyanide Sid Cooper. There's even a kendo stick shot.

Skull will definately be on at hanley. So iam happy. . You can think what you want of me. At least i dont sit at shows moaning about them. I go and tell the promoters what i think. The thing is you younger ones have been brought up on this wwe rubbish. Go on the men and movies channel watch the likes of rocco, murphy, jones, mcmanus, finlay, the list is endless. This is why wrestling is still going on as strong as it is today.

But if it was left to todays stars it will be lucky if its still going in the next ten years. At least when the older ones came off the top ropes there was reason to it. But when el ligaro does it there is no point. Wrestling should be done in the ring it is a combat sport and not a flying act. Flying acts are for the circus.

So all u little babies on this forum stop doing me down. I have a better knowledge about british wrestling than you ever will. The reason been we were brought up on proper wrestling with real men Not fairies

I am not sure where to start... Well, some things were better before. That's true, but not everything from the 1970s or the 1980s translate well into 2012. The "WOS" wrestling was very good but not everything was logical back then either, and some of it looks outright ridiculous if you have knowledge about physics or if you compare it to modern day MMA for that matter. I am not convinced that you have better knowledge about British wrestling than everyone on this forum ever will. You see, knowledge is not all about what wrestling used to be but also about what it is. How was your PC and internet speed in the 1970s? Everything around us changes, so why should British wrestling be stuck in the 1970s or in the 1980s for that matter?

Hi Julie,

It's Paul from Hull here! Did you get the photos i sent you a few days ago? Oh & you know i love the old WOS stuff as much as anyone does, But time moves on & there are some really good British Wrestlers out there today. You saw some of them at Southside, I love good wrestling from any era. :thumbsup:

All Star have just received a mobile call from BRITISH LEGEND SKULL MURPHY who was at the Gym putting in his final training session before making a Top of the Bill Return at the Victoria Hall in Hanley tomorrow night - full details on the All star Website - http://www.bigtimewrestlinguk.com/

Archived