Impact discussion 13/09/12 *spoilers*

Sexy Dad

There wasn't any massive strides taken towards unveiling the Bound for Glory card but this show did a fantastic job in showcasing Hardy. The show opened with Aries coming out and talking about the importance of the world title and the BFG main event. Jeff came out and the pair shared a bit of mutual respect; the crowd didn't really favor either man significantly more than the other which was good and cements the fact that these two men are the two favorites in TNA right now. The Bully came out to tell Hardy that the only reason he won the Series was out of luck due to easing off on him in the final after feeling sorry for him after taking a beating from the Aces and 8s. Jeff vs Bully Ray for the main event is set.

Kaz (hilariously wearing a Hulkamania t-shirt) & Daniels are shown in Hogan's office. Hogan tells them that they must compete tonight in singles matches and if their opponents were victorious than they earn their team a World tag team championship of the world match. It looks like Kaz and Daniels talking with Hogan each week is becoming a weekly thing and it should! The chemistry between the guys is reminiscent of the Chr-Edge-Ley days during 2000 except with Hogan having a bit of disdain for the champs.

One on one action of Zema Ion vs Sonjay Dutt was a decent watch, nothing too exciting but a good TV match. Ion looked dominant at the end and things are looking good for him heading towards the biggest event of the year as Champion.

Joseph Park is appointed as the bodyguard of Brooke Hogan after saying he may have some evidence for next week surrounding Aces and 8s.

Tara put over Tessmacher, it was hammy and was your typical set up for the beat down on a former friend. To be fair though, Tara is the best opponent for Tessmacher right now in my opinion and I'd rather see this physicality than a love fest between the two. I expect Madison Rayne and Gail Kim to be added to the mix heading into BFG as Tara doesn't really have a claim to the title after losing at No Surrender.

Bobby Roode returns and tells the crowd how James Storm had rode his coat tails for four years and that it was his hard work that put food on the table of his redneck family. Storm comes out and pummels Roode and the pair brawl to the back. I'll be happy to see this feud come to an end, I like both guys and don't really want to see a definitive winner out of the pair so as soon as they move onto other opponents; the better for me. However, it surely looks like this is leading to a No-DQ style match at BFG and it should be enjoyable. The pair have come a long way in the past year.

Hogan comes out to talk about the Bound for Glory series. The Aces and 8s appear on the tron and say that there is no use in locking them out as they are already in. Later on Hogan, Dixie, Brooke, Al Snow, Bruce Prichard and D'Lo Brown are in the back talking about the group, Hogan opens up and talks about his brother becoming involved in a gang and how he had to cut him off or something along them lines. I'd read that story in his book so it was a nice little touch to see some realism added into the drama of the event. The segment ended with the group pondering that somebody in the room may be involved, they then reverted back into thinking that the group were making them paranoid.

AJ and Kaz have a great match with some risky looking moves on the outside. AJ picks up the win and picks up a tag title shot for himself and Angle, good job too as Angle was a little weary sending the Phenomenal One out there.

Chavo defeated Daniels in another good match; meaning that Chavo and Hernandez also have a claim to a tag title shot. I can't see these three teams facing off at BFG as I believe that AJ and Angle would be put to good use in whatever the Aces and 8s match turns out to be.

The main event has the added stipulation that if Hardy loses, Bully Ray gets his spot in the title match at Bound for Glory. This was a brilliant match and is a fine representative of what Hardy has been capable of in the ring this past year. Jeff Hardy heads to the big one; all guns blazing.

I think I covered everything in a somewhat jumbled order there. The show has some worthwhile matches and did not give too much away for Bound for Glory so the next few weeks should be compulsory viewing.

• Paid Members

Impact was like one of them episodes of Raw where the matches were great and the rest seemed to want to just put things in place for a later day, rather than reveal anything major. The angles weren't up to much, but the wrestling was really good. Especially the main event, that blew the PPV match out of the window.

D'Lo was back this week, which dropped the biggest hint he's the VP of the group. I loved that D'Lo was telling Hogan to let the Aces and Eights in the building and Hogan agreed that D'Lo's plan was the best form of action. Looks like we will get a reveal next week, which is a longtime coming. Wes Brisco returned as well, which was another little hint. It looks like its going to be D'Lo and his merry men vs Team Hogan. I think Abyss will return for that as well, which as strange as it sounds would actually make a load of sense. Especially if they give Joseph Park a kicking for unveiling them and Abyss comes back. Sting, Abyss and Hogan and a few others would make a decent team if its a Lethal Lockdown match. Which it should be. You'll need a lot of smoke and mirrors if its especially gimmick wrestlers and knackered legends vs nobodies. A Lethal Lockdown will give it enough appeal to hide the fact that the Aces and Eights are actually just a bunch of blokes the fans either haven't heard of or see as midcarders.

Not much else to say than that really. Bound For Glory should be good.

Mental Hogan line of the week: "All the Harley Davidsons and all the kings men, couldn't put the Aces and Eights back in this building again."

I posted in this in the No Surrender discussion topic, however its of note here

http://ukff.com/index.php?s=&showtopic...t&p=2639331

The more I think about it, the more I've got an inkling that the Aces & 8's are gonna end being led by Abyss/Joseph Park. As Abyss, he's boring as sin. As Joseph Park, especially the stuff with Bully Ray, he's been a great character. People finally start to forget about Abyss, so it would still have enough shock value if they did it. Or even if they kept it as Joseph Park, saying he's always been 'Chris' etc etc.

There's one guy always wearing a hoodie also who's the right build, hiding all the tattoos/scars that you'd associate with Abyss. Especially with the introduction before the PPV with Joseph Parks claiming he's 'on the case' to help Hogan find out who it is.

I'm probably wrong, but I don't think anyone has put forward this theory. Could be more smoke & Mirrors to throw you off the scent, but still, its an option.

I can also see Styles & Angle facing Chavo & Hernandez in a number one contenders match. Or they'll wrestle both teams on Impact in the lead up to BFG before either a three way or adding a new tag to face them at BFG. Facts are though, there aren't many options to face TWTTCOTW

Probably one of the more disappointing Impacts for me recently. Felt like mostly a rehash of the PPV, right down to the main event, and as I only watched that yesterday I didn't need to see it all again.

Plus little to no movement on the A&8 stuff was disappointing.

Hopefully next week will be a bit more productive. It's not that the matches were bad, it's just that the show was generally pointless on the whole.

• Paid Members
it's just that the show was generally pointless on the whole.

How can you say that? They planted the seed that Hogan and D'Lo maybe fighting in some kind of match at Bound For Glory. Fuck your Rock vs Cena. Fuck Silva vs Sonnen. This is 2012's dream match.

I hope they get Flo Rida to sing "Danger At The Door" before D'Lo's entrance.

• Paid Members

Nah, J.C. Ice & Wolfie D are due a comeback. Fuck Flo Rida.

I personally enjoyed the show. The matches were good and there was enough 'wink wink' storyline progression that made the Aces & Eights/Hogan stuff worth the watch. D'Lo manipulating everybody was great TV, he needs better trainers though.

Hogan and the Kaz/Daniels segments are starting to turn into the highlight of Impact, all three are great. Thinking about it, this is the best form Hogan has shown since his WWE return a decade ago.

Where did Sting go? I think I missed something.

Where did Sting go? I think I missed something.

I was wondering the same thing...I think he might have just taken a week or two off non-storyline related. After watching the Crow today (a very uneventful day off), I thought it'd be great to see Sting lurking round the rafters maybe finding one or two of the Aces and 8s up there pulling the strings, it'd make sense and I'm a sucker for Sting lurking around in the rafters, I feel like its Sting's little custom exclamation mark on a feud.

• Paid Members

Well he probably thought he wasn't needed, because Hogan thought he'd found out how to keep Aces and Eights away from the building. Brooke was back as well, so he obviously thought it was a night where they weren't getting in. Aries and Hogan both made reference to a job well done. Its only when D'Lo In A Mask came on screen that Hogan realised they weren't as daft as he thought. Sting's probably sitting at home going "another bunch of bad guys vanquished" and then D'Lo spoiled the party by telling them shit was on.

Both at the PPV and on this Impact I was hoping that Bully Ray would end up as the number one contender for BFG. I'm not all that keen on Hardy (though I understand his appeal) nor am I a huge fan of face/face matches. When they go out on the road for BFG they might also expose Aries as being nowhere near as popular as Jeffrey Nero, which won't do A Double any favours. Hope I'm wrong on that front, but Jeff is super popular everywhere while Aries is new to the main event scene.

Bully Ray has had an amazing year and I really thought that him and Aries would have an amazing match for the title at Bound For Glory. As soon as Jeff put his shot on the line I was convinced he'd lose the match. Oh well, keeps me guessing at least.

A good show overall though, as always. Hogan is hilarious; he just says whatever the fuck pops into his head, but because he's Hulk fucking Hogan it just works. Delivery is everything!

The Impact zone acting like Tara turned face when she turned heel was very silly. Those fans really are pricks. During Roode's quality promo they were too busy shouting "clever" remarks and "what"ing to bother booing the guy. Broken record, I know, but they should fuck that place off as soon as possible.

• Paid Members
Both at the PPV and on this Impact I was hoping that Bully Ray would end up as the number one contender for BFG. I'm not all that keen on Hardy (though I understand his appeal) nor am I a huge fan of face/face matches. When they go out on the road for BFG they might also expose Aries as being nowhere near as popular as Jeffrey Nero, which won't do A Double any favours.

I doubt that. Anyone else, you may be right but not Aries. TNA attracts a lot smart fans when they exit the Impact Zone. Aries was 50 times more over than RVD, Hardy and Anderson at Bound For Glory last year. The likes of Roode and Storm are on the fence, because casuals dont know how to take them. But Aries usually gets the Daniel Bryan and CM Punk type fans cheering for him. Its like Samoa Joe. Looking at how he's treated, you'd think he'd be far less popular. But old vocal smart fans come out for these shows and cheer for the likes of Aries and Joe. It could create a cool little dynamic actually. Like a Cena and Punk type split, with kids and girls cheering for Hardy and the loud wrestling fans cheering for Aries.

I hope so anyway. Aries is always over when they head out of the Impact Zone.

Both at the PPV and on this Impact I was hoping that Bully Ray would end up as the number one contender for BFG. I'm not all that keen on Hardy (though I understand his appeal) nor am I a huge fan of face/face matches. When they go out on the road for BFG they might also expose Aries as being nowhere near as popular as Jeffrey Nero, which won't do A Double any favours.

I doubt that. Anyone else, you may be right but not Aries. TNA attracts a lot smart fans when they exit the Impact Zone. Aries was 50 times more over than RVD, Hardy and Anderson at Bound For Glory last year. The likes of Roode and Storm are on the fence, because casuals dont know how to take them. But Aries usually gets the Daniel Bryan and CM Punk type fans cheering for him. Its like Samoa Joe. Looking at how he's treated, you'd think he'd be far less popular. But old vocal smart fans come out for these shows and cheer for the likes of Aries and Joe. It could create a cool little dynamic actually. Like a Cena and Punk type split, with kids and girls cheering for Hardy and the loud wrestling fans cheering for Aries.

I hope so anyway. Aries is always over when they head out of the Impact Zone.

Yeah, totally fair points, and as I said I hope you are right. Off the top of my head I couldn't really think of the reactions Aries has gotten outside of the Impact Zone. It's only now and again that they film from elsewhere.

BFG is in Phoenix right? I wonder what type of crowd they will get there? I guess my thinking was just that generally Hardy is really popular everywhere, from his time with WWE and years as a top guy.

I would still have preferred a straight face/heel match though personally. Hardy is on his game since the comeback, but his matches are all a bit samey to me. I'd have had the Aces and Eights cost Hardy his shot on Impact, setting him up to join Hogan's crew for the multi-man lockdown match (if that's happening) and sent Bully after Aries for the belt.

• Paid Members
D'Lo manipulating everybody was great TV, he needs better trainers though.

Haha noticed this too, it's not just the trainers either, it's the dad jeans. D'lo has never been the most fashionable though, his gear has looked like shit for years (post chest-protector run of course).

I really enjoyed Hogan and the backstage crew chatting away about Aces & 8's. Really love the way TNA do those segments. Nice realistic quality to them.

You say that, but they kind of ruined that with the overdramatic close ups of everyones faces, complete with silly sound effects.

Show was ok this week, the X match(weird finish aside) and AJ/Kaz were both good tv. Certainly agree Kaz/Daniels have been the best thing on the show recently, especially their interactions with Hogan and Sting. Joseph Park is great with Hogan too.

Have to say I'm really uninspired by this Jeff Hardy build, he's just so low on the list of guys I want to see against Aries, or want to see period in 2012, although I get he's a popular guy and I may be alone there. Him and Bully could have had the match of their careers tonight but I really couldnt be arsed, especially after seeing them wrestle on sunday (and I think they had a BFG match not long ago too).

There's no way they're revealing the Aces next week, this is going all the way to Bound For Glory. Looking more like a Hogan/Sting/Park/Bully team to me now, with Bully likely revealling as an Ace.

• Paid Members

I think Hardy/Aries is the perfect match. You've got their biggest star versus their biggest upcoming homegrown star. Hopefully Aries wins and beating Jeff in the main event of their biggest show will give him a lot of credibility and get him massively over (hopefully).

I don't think it'll be a case of the fans turning on Aries to cheer Jeff. If it was Storm/Hardy then yeah sure but even for the fans who don't know Aries they will quickly get into him due to his flashy exciting ring style. It should be a great match too and a lot easier for the fans to get into as a main event than Storm/Roode.

I'm worried about the complete lack of reaction Aces & Eights seem to be generating from the live crowd. Every time there's been a segment in front of the live audience it seems to be met with total silence. I think the story itself has been pretty well told and in TV terms it's been really entertaining, but at the end of all of this there needs to be a match and I just don't know how well it's going to play out when there is no emotional investment in anyone in the group. I just can't see the reaction to eventually revealing someone like Wes Brisco to be anything other than "Oh, it's that guy who's been in a couple of backstage segments......".

Of course if the whole thing is just there for Hogan to get a massive pop at Bound For Glory and send them packing once and for all I guess that's all they need.

Archived