Sign in to follow this  
Devon Malcolm

General music thread

Took me dear old ma to see Steve Cropper when he toured with "The Animals" (one original member left, the drummer) a couple of years ago.

He was great, telling stories between the songs about the writing/recording of them. Sub-par singer, though...

And yeah, I love the Anvil doc too. They just seem like such nice blokes.

I went to an Anvil signing when the DVD came out, there was a lady in front of me in the short queue who was carefully holding a painstakingly home made replica of Anvil's drum kit (it was about the size of a birthday cake), she was obviously proud of it and buzzing about giving it to the band. When she got to the front of the line she gleefully held it up to the drummer (the improbably named Robb Reiner) and he just blankly looked at her like he'd never seen anything he cared about less in his life. Lips and the band's handler tried to get some life in him by nudging him and saying "wow, isn't that cool" and stuff but Robb continued to sit completely blankly like he was trying to read a far away number plate out of boredom, the girl looked a bit downhearted as she placed the little drum kit next to him without any particular acknowledgement.

I do feel a bit sorry for the girl in question because I’ve made custom figures, most of it was for sale but there was the odd item I made as I knew that person would get a buzz out of it. A figure for Lanny Poffo and one for Cyber Kong spring to mind, but my point being you need to know your audience. I’d never make a figure for someone who has a reputation of being a dick/cold towards fans. I’d only bother if they had shared previous gifts on social media, and expressed how chuffed they were etc etc. (Always end up walking away with some of their merch too).

I absolutely love the fact he no sold it, even after being prompted, just ‘na’.

5C457BA4-D3CB-4CFF-B6B8-D58FFF9FA915.gif

Edited by Kaz Hayashi

I asked my brother would it be worth my while to go to a concert just to see Cheap Trick supporting Def Leppard when the only song I know is "Photograph" and he turned me on to "When Love and Hate Collide". 

Fuck me, that's a great song. That guitar solo. I have it on constant repeat.

Any other songs I should listen to?

Anything by The Who would probably be up your street.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

12 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

I asked my brother would it be worth my while to go to a concert just to see Cheap Trick supporting Def Leppard when the only song I know is "Photograph" and he turned me on to "When Love and Hate Collide". 

Fuck me, that's a great song. That guitar solo. I have it on constant repeat.

Any other songs I should listen to?

How about "I'll Tumble 4 Ya" by Culture Club?

Let Forever Be, and the accompanying Michel Gondry video, is one of the best things of the 90s. It's a testament to the brothers how in the space of two singles they managed to make Noel Gallagher cool as fuck and retroactively make it sound as though Ringo Starr invented big beat music. 

I can't find a link to back this up, but I recall a story going around that when Noel came down to the studio to do the vocal on Setting Sun he told the taxi driver "keep the fare running, this won't take long". 

Talking about The Who, I can’t recommend the 1973 double album Quadrophenia highly enough. There’s nothing that compares to it in the whole of rock music. I’ve been listening to it for decades and am still discovering new elements to it. I know every line of its lyrics by heart. It’s a Life Changing album.

Spotify tells me for the third year running my most listened to artist is John Williams. 20191205_081404.thumb.jpg.1c8424aab4971e7859212ce39579f17f.jpg

I think I break this algorithm a bit. I don't listen to a lot of the same thing which most people do. I hear something interesting and then I drill into the Radio for it and spin off again. I listen to a lot of music while working and I can't be doing lyrics while I work. I end up bouncing around soundtracks. 

The decade view isn't much clearer:

20191205_081305.thumb.jpg.a2e494f098e34e4cef12325075009bfb.jpg

I had Frank Sidebottom. That's accurate I'd say. And superior.

Edited by PowerButchi

7 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

I had Frank Sidebottom. That's accurate I'd say. And superior.

And not just against Coldplay.