Jerry Lawler suffers a heart attack

dopper

Probably worth mentioning for those who didn't see Raw that Lawler wrestled a tag match about 45 minutes before the collapse. I don't know how much of the match he actually worked though.

Most of the match from the looks of things. He did the babyface in peril bit.

1:27 he does a sweet drop kick. Not bad at all for a 61 year old man who's heart was about to pack up on hi,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTRUg4oLtQE...ch_response_rev

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hven't been watching WWE for a while, but I happened to stumble across the start of last nights 5pm showing (last weeks show) with a pretty heated, energetic backstage brawl with Punk, and I swear my thoughts were that he must be about due a heart attack going on like that, and considering he still works matches to a reasonable level of impact & intensity. That's pretty spooky.

Best wishes to him.

• Paid Members

They do so many of these moments in the storylines were Cole will give you an update you first thought it was a work. I didn't tie it with the crowd reaction during Kane/Bryan's match, but once someone mentioned it in chat then Cole said it wasn't part of the entertainment then it was a case of rewinding it to see what happened. Some of the rosters reaction made you think the worst, not to mention Cole remaining silent looking down throughout matches.

Personally I found the backstage fight with Punk harder to watch thinking about his age.

Wow, that sounds awful, let's just hope either Meltzer is wrong or that doesn't happen. I must say there is a mixed feeling I'm getting from the news coming out, there seems to be news saying he's stable and what not but then there's things like this, the news that he was clinically dead for 20 minutes and the fact that a lot of those close to Lawler seem to be asking a lot for prayers at the moment, I suppose the latter point of that list would be happening either way but it's scary if he was actually clinically dead for 20 minutes as I suppose that may tie into the blood cutting off to his brain for a while. Still shocked really, I woke up this morning having watched some of Raw last night and then going to bed planning to watch the rest today as I was pretty tired, never expected to wake up and hear something like this, I just really, really hope he makes it through this without any permanent damage. Michael Cole deserves a lot of credit for how he handled things last night too.

• Paid Members
Meltzer's radio update says that there is currently concern there maybe brain damage due to the blood cutting off from the brain for so long. So there could be some permanent damage from this if he survives it. Thats fucked up.

I hope to God not. Hopefully he can pull through as Muamba did after he was clinically dead for over an hour. If the story is true that Lawler may have been the same but for a lot less time hopefully they kept him going enough to avoid brain damage in the same way.

It was a very scary time watching the rest of the show last night, my heart was racing hoping that the absolute worst news wasn't going to be announced, he looked so well in the tag match and getting giddy over the app that it was a real shock to the system. Big props to Cole, handled the situation like a true pro even though he was clearly distraught, you could see he was holding back from getting too emotional but you wouldn't have blamed if he had

I am praying Lawler comes through this but as far as wrestling goes, it may just be the end for him now, which is not the way we all want him to go out on

Yeah, fuck New Jack.

Yeah, Necro Butcher made some hilariously shit comments about the situation on his Facebook as well;

Dammit, Im watchin Chargers-Raiders, why are people messaging me asking if Im watching Raw?

After someone informed him of what happened he said;

this affects my fantasy football matchup how?

He did comment that he hadn't watched Raw since Austin was champion as well. Perhaps if he had tuned in now and then and maybe even took some notes he'd have actually done something with his career. The twat.

Don't know what happened on the show but logged on this morning to see this news. Was really taken aback by it.

A live show is an absolutely awful place for something like this to happen to someone but as with Fabrice Muamba, at least it means there were proper medical personnel on hand to get him to him as quickly as possible. That has got to give him more of a fighting chance.

Fingers crossed he makes a full recovery.

Apparently Vince Mcmahon was right by his side through the entire ordeal.

Nice thing to do by Vince.

Hoping Lawler pulls through. Credit to Michael Cole for carrying on as you can tell that, despite their banter, they're good friends.

Did for one split second think it was a work but quickly realised it was genuine.

Get well soon King.

• Paid Members
the news that he was clinically dead for 20 minutes and the fact that a lot of those close to Lawler seem to be asking a lot for prayers at the moment, I suppose the latter point of that list would be happening either way but it's scary if he was actually clinically dead for 20 minutes as I suppose that may tie into the blood cutting off to his brain for a while.

I'll be honest, when I read that Smith Hart said that, I just brushed it off as exaggeration. Hopefully I'm right.

Apparently Vince Mcmahon was right by his side through the entire ordeal.

This doesn't surprise me, in an instance like this I wouldn't have expected him to be anywhere else. Not just because Vince is more caring than he sometimes gets credit for, but also because this is one of his men in a serious condition on his show so he has to be with him really.

Archived