Terry Nutkins Dies

ultimo the great

tumblr_m9zc3lNUol1rpfb9zo1_500.jpg

Broadcaster and naturalist Terry Nutkins has died at the age of 66, months after being diagnosed with leukaemia.

Mr Nutkins devoted his life to teaching the public about wildlife and was perhaps best known for co-presenting the popular BBC children's television series Animal Magic in the 1980s with Johnny Morris.

He was fondly remembered for appearing on the programme with Gemini, the Californian sea lion he hand-reared from infancy.

Other programmes he presented included The Really Wild Show, Brilliant Creatures and Growing Up Wild.

More recently he appeared on the BBC's Winterwatch programme where he revealed how otters had survived the January winter.

The Countryside Alliance said on Twitter how sad they were to hear of his death: "He taught an entire generation to love the natural world and animals - education is so important."

His agent John Miles said Mr Nutkins died at home in Scotland on Thursday, adding: "He had fought for about nine months or so with acute leukaemia."

Nutkins grew up near Marylebone station and often missed school to help out at London Zoo, where his expertise with animals became obvious.

He was sent to Scotland at the age of 11 to work with Ring Of Bright Water author Gavin Maxwell and to help care for wild otters.

It was there that he lost the tips of two fingers after he was bitten by one of his animals. Maxwell eventually became his legal guardian and Nutkins made the west coast of Scotland his home.

Mr Miles said: "He was an absolutely lovely guy and just loved animals and he was never happier than when he was with animals. We will all miss him very, very much."

The Sussex Wildlife Trust said: "He inspired many people to get involved in nature conservation and the environment."

BBC presenter Phillip Schofield tweeted: "So sad to hear of the death of Terry Nutkins. I worked with him often in my 'broom cupboard' days. A delightful man and passionate naturalist."

Television presenter Ben Fogle said: "Very sad to hear the sad passing of Terry Nutkins. He was one of my childhood inspirations."

News reporter Chris Rogers said Nutkins was "like a brother to me, and the public loved him unconditionally".

"The world and the television industry has lost a unique character," he said. "Terry Nutkins fought cancer for two years with the passion he had for life."

As well as presenting television programmes, Nutkins was also a keen beekeeper and a member of the British Beekeepers' Association.

He is survived by his wife, eight children and eight grandchildren.

Link

A part of my childhood dies :(

Archived