Players you were especially loyal to ...

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

gattusoDM_468x328.jpg

Fiery moments aplenty and no doubt a pain in the butt for managers, probably most hated for assaulting Joe Jordan. However he was instrumental in the team and worked so well with Pirlo's flair he was just a player you'd want in your team. He was a bad boy but committed and had a great work rate. Colourful character that you need sometimes in football, shame he couldn't return to Rangers recently. Gotta love Rino.

• Paid Members

Karel-Poborsky50982.jpg

Karel Porborsky

After how well the Czech Republic had done in Euro 96, especially the awesome performances from Karel, United snapped him up. I was delighted, because that lob he scored against Portugal was one of my favourite goals at the time, for 12 year old me. I was adamant that he would go on to be a mega star and after a quiet start of sub appearances, I predicted in school to all my mates, that once he settled, he would be a contender for Player of the Year. He never really stood a chance, Beckham was just too good at right wing for United, and while he could play in the centre, he was competing with Keane, Scholes and Butt. I was gutted when United moved him on 2 years later.

United sold him on, and a few years later, sporting a shorter hair cut he returned to Old Trafford in a Champions League match with Sparta Prague I think it was (may have been Dynamo Zagreb now that I think of it) and he got a pretty decent reception. He even got an assist for United that night by play a blind back pass into Van Nistelrooy's path putting him 1 on 1 with the keeper. And Ruud dont miss those.

• Paid Members
Now he's gone to Fulham, I'm officially taking them on as a second team. Hooray for Dimi.

With Berbs up front and Big Martin managing, I have taken Fulham as my fifth team.

Yes, I'm a bit odd, and prior to this event had four teams that I like to see succeed - Spurs who I support, West Brom who are my local team (and my dads side of the family supported for generations), Villa because all my mates support them and I don't like to see them glum (and on occasion they've played good football over the years) and Man United, for the simple reasons I've always admired their attacking football, and I've developed quite strong dislike-hatred for City, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Pity they all play in the same division, for now.

• Paid Members
How come you ended up supporting Spurs?

In earliest days of watching football without a team, Lineker became my hero watching the national team, and the old man told me he played for Tottenham, so it was Tottenham for me. Old-fashioned hero worship, whether it was Tottenham or England it was always "there's always a goal in it for us ; Gary's there." Two of my earliest memories are his two goals against Porto (past Vitor Baia) in the Cup Winners Cup, and rescuing England with an overhead kick away to Poland to clinch qualification for Sweden '92. Both of these games I watched on Wednesday nights after Cubs with a bag of cola bottles. My mate from Worcester similarly grew up a Spurs fan after becoming enamoured with Gazza in Italia '90.

My best mate never actually has to justify supporting Villa to anyone since they're a local team to us, but I'm pretty sure only his parents and me know he picked Villa because they came 2nd in 1990.

• Paid Members

andy-johnson_1118949i.jpg

Andy Johnson. As a Palace fan he was one of our best ever strikers up, better than Ian Wright, then as usual for Palace we sold him and his career went down the tubes. But I still can't help picking him in every starting week lineup of Fantasy football, knowing he's either not going to play or get injured.

Most recently we've seen a similar pattern from Palace with Victor Moses, although Im hoping that now he's at Chelsea, he manages to break through and show the skills off that we saw at Palace.

Kirkland.jpg

Chris Kirkland

My other is the best Keeper England never had. Everytime he nearly broke through to the number one spot he'd get injured. His dad had a bet that he'd be capped for England by the time he was 25 or something. Brilliant keeper that has been unfortunately injured too much. But I still think he's great.

lubo_1148172a.jpg

Lubomir Moravcik

Lubo. Just seeing him makes me smile. A huge part of the Celtic team when I had just gotten to grips with this whole football lark (a couple of years before I had idolised Paolo Di Canio and Jorge Cadete before I really knew much about the game), Lubo arrived in bizarre circumstances. Celtic were mocked by mewling hack Hugh Keevins for not spending the cash on "a proven talent like John Spencer". Dr. Josef Venglos, a man who leaves a bizarre but indelible mark on the club's history, brought in one of his old pals from days of yore.

And Lubo was old. He was 33 upon arrival at Celtic. He was evergreen though: I can't decide if he always looked young or ancient (he still looks the exact same today). It was love at first sight for the Celtic fans. His home debut saw him bag two goals against Rangers; he was visibly confused and dismayed at the bedlam he had caused in the stands. The game finished 5-1 to Celtic and even though it was a bad year for us, it signalled a reversal of fortunes for the club that Moravcik would see in his time here.

No doubt remembered for "Lubo's Ibrox Party", a famous 3-0 victory for Celtic that saw him score twice and King Henrik get his 50th of the season in all competitions, Lubo was a special player. Fuck, Zinedine Zidane said that he was the best player he had played against when he was at Juventus. That's tall praise.

JamesGrady.JPG

James Grady

My boyhood hero, he signed for Dundee and became our most popular player in decades with his great movement and ability to find a vital goal at the right time, his passion was brilliant, but even when he tainted himself and signed for *them across the road*, I met him in the streets walking to the pub with my dad before a derby, and had some banter with him. Met him a few times since, and he now hates United, and has only fond memories of his time with us. Followed him through to his retirement and his stint in management. I even plan to go down and watch his St Mirren youth side when they come through to play in Dundee. Love him and will never forget

• Paid Members
lubo_1148172a.jpg

Lubomir Moravcik

Seconded. This guy was special, every time he was on the ball I felt excited, it really was a "what's he going to do next?" kinda feeling. As happy as I am that he graced Parkhead, I can't help but think what could have been if only we'd signed him a few years earlier. I would love to see him back at the club in a coaching role or something.

Emmanuel Eboue for me. His lowest point was when he came on as a sub, was really shit, and was subbed off. Around that time he was booed more than anyone (including opposing players) from our fans. I felt for the guy, he clearly loved (still does) the club and always tried hard. Sometimes too hard, and sometimes dived a bit, but he always meant well for the team. Always smiling too.

Eventually he won the fans back and became a cult hero, which I'm glad because during that point he really needed the fans behind him, not jeering at him. I'm actually gutted we got rid of him.

My favourite Eboue story was one about Adebayor turned up at (I think it was) Sagna's house for a Christmas party and throughout the whole party, Eboue was crouched behind the door in a lion costume. He'd pounce on everyone who came through the door.

It wasn't a fancy dress party.

Archived