UFC on FUEL 5: 'Struve vs Miocic'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That's a fair point. :laugh: Thankfully I'll most likely never find out what that feels like. If I ever whipped my butt into shape and got into MMA I'd probably fight at welterweight.

I think part of my disappointment with Struve was that the prefight hyped up an evolved fighter, but he still made a lot of the same mistakes. According to Wiki his trainer is Bob Schreiber, and his fight team is called Team Schreiber, no mention of GG.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

on the subject of John Maguire, he strikes me as the kind of guy that doesn't train as a true professional athlete, hes probably a bit of a slacker that gets by on technique and generally being a tough guy. Now he's stepped in there with an elite athelte at 170lb maybe he'll realise that he needs to put the hours in, a move to 155 would definitly be beneficial.

What about Hathaway? Outside of his debut against Sanchez he's been pretty uninspiring, at 6-1 in the UFC he should really be the UK guy we're really looking at the knocking on the door of a title shot, it just feels like he's going sideways though. His physical strength is his biggest asset at this point and if it wasn't for his out-muscling of guy you can't really see where Hathaway would have much success, he needs to tighten up his shit.

• Paid Members

The Morecraft fight was great but if you compare Struve vs Morecraft to Struve vs Miocic and look at the way they ended, the big difference is Struve took a lot less damage vs Miocic. He got battered the whole first round vs Morecraft to the point his bottom lip looked like a jumbo savelloy.

The Miocic fight, Struve took some shots but not nearly as many as he used to and Miocic is a better fighter than Morecraft easy for me. He's defo fighting a little smarter now imo.

We always talk about Struve's heart and his comebacks but in truth he hasn't taken much punishment at all his last few fights. The fact that pretty ordinary guys like Morecraft and Stojnic were busting him up a few years ago but now he's KOing a Golden Gloves boxer like Miocic who people were high on, shows he's putting the work in.

And remember he's still young. He's got a lot of experience for a young fighter and time is on his side.

• Paid Members

Hathaway's debut was vs Tom Egan at UFC 93. He made light work of it if I remember right.

The Sanchez fight was undoubtedly the highlight of his career so far. He won a razor close decision over Rick Story somewhere in there as well.

But yeah, he's not been the most exciting guy to watch. Not really a finisher and although his wrestling is very good, especially by UK standards, he's not really outstanding in any one area. I just don't see him having much success at any higher a level than he's at now. Put him in with a Fitch, Condit, Koscheck or Rory Mac and I don't see him faring too well.

Anyone see the press conference? Dana seemed well happy with Gunnar Nelson. Said people were raving about him and calling him "the new BJ Penn". It's early yet but I've always liked what I've seen of Gunnar. I hope he goes on a tear at 170. Good to see more European fighters making waves.

• Paid Members

yeh Gunnar looked the business, people been hyping him for years now.

Hathaway's problem is that he's winning fights but is there anyone shouting for him to get certain opponents? with his record he should be aiming for a top 5 guy but i just don't think hes gonna get it.

On the subject of Struve/Golden Glory, wasn't Shreiber a Golden Glory guy before as well? im sure there was a big split. Shreiber's insane, the dirtiest fighter of all time.

• Paid Members

You may be right. I can't say I know much about Schrijber. To me he'll be remembered as Wandy's only submission win. Well, unless Wand submits someone else of course.

If Struve was at GG it can't have been for that long and he was still primarily a grappler well into his early UFC days. I think he'd benefit more from it now he's starting to hit his stride and becoming a more complete fighter.

• Paid Members

I was just reading today that Struve was 3 days removed from his 21st birthday when he fought JDS. That's pretty incredible really when you think about it. He's only 24 now and has a boat load of experience under his belt. His problem has always been that he has a tendency to put himself in unfavourable situations, but I think he's showed a lot more maturity in his last couple of fights and if he continues to learn to fight to his strengths, he could be a real contender down the road. He has a lot of things going for him.

struve.jpg

What's not to love?

• Paid Members

ahh, Wand you'd be wise to check out some Schreiber. When i consuming as much MMA as i could back in the day i was checking out some of the old Dutch shows (2 Hot 2 Handle, It's Showtime) and Schreiber was a regular on them. Just a crazy street fighter/vale tudo fighter, he had some absolute wars with Gilbert Yvel, Semmy Schilt etc. Them old dutch shows were insane, they were providing the action UFC fans craved in them old days.

On a worldwide stage, he never really fought outside of the Dutch scene and only had one or two shots in Japan. He's a dutch fighting legend though, and he was dirty as fuck in the ring.

There used to be a UK based company that used to sell all the Dutch shows on DVD back in the day, i had some and sold them on :( but they were great, had English commentary the lot (Quadros commentated on some of em) they just disappeared off the market though.

...and this deserved posting:

pickett.gif

• Paid Members

That's a cracking view. They do need to lower their prices. I would absolutely have went to this if they were a bit cheaper. They've been gradually creeping up the price everytime they come over for ages now. For example, when I went to UFC 80 in 2008, the cheapest ticket was

• Paid Members

Best seats in the house right there IMO. Just above everyone's head so you can see all the action when it goes to ground. I had floor seats for the 1st UFC in Manchester but opted for the first tier, lower seats the next time.

• Paid Members

This was my view after I moved initially. I was first row right under the large screen. From the looks of it Supremo, you were somewhere to the left of me.

http://db.tt/MwmkTQ0j

Edit, for some reason I can't make the picture visible so only the link above works.

Anyway, it is infuriating paying over

• Paid Members
That's a cracking view. They do need to lower their prices. I would absolutely have went to this if they were a bit cheaper. They've been gradually creeping up the price everytime they come over for ages now. For example, when I went to UFC 80 in 2008, the cheapest ticket was

Archived