UFC on FUEL 5: 'Struve vs Miocic'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

It's coming soon. Who's going? Looks like a very strong card, especially for a FUEL show.

struve_miocic.jpg

FUEL MAIN CARD (ESPN - 9pm)

Stefan Struve vs Stipe Miocic

Dan Hardy vs Amir Sadollah

Brad Pickett vs Yves Jabouin

Matt Wiman vs Paul Sass

John Hathaway vs John Maguire

Duane Ludwig vs Che Mills

FACEBOOK PRELIMS (6pm)

Kyle Kingsbury vs Jimi Manuwa

Akira Corassani vs Andy Ogle

Brad Tavares vs Tom Watson

Gunnar Nelson vs DaMarques Johnson

Jason Young vs Robert Peralta

Wasn't going to bother doing one of these posts again but I'm bored shitless and it's either this or Eastenders.

You'll all know the Queen is a massive UFC fan

queen3.jpg

Common knowledge, she loves it. But she wasn't keen on a recent event

24156151.jpg

Hopefully this one reaches her expectations, for Dana's sake...

queen-holding-a-gun-in-a-car.jpg

Main event looks good. No way it's going 5 rounds. We'll either see;

STIPE SMASH!

mma_fuel_06_340.jpg

or

Struve taking an absolute belting and pulling out another comeback

stefan.jpg

...either way I don't see an easy route for the 'Skyscraper' in this one.

And just for the record...

2cdiete_large.jpg

Struve would have fought Jones.

Co-main event features Nottingham's own..

-2.jpg

Dan Hardy, returning to fight in the UK. Last time he fought here this happened..

105627393_large.jpg

He's been working on every area of MMA since then though.

From doing Bruce Lee impressions to improve his striking

har-3.gif

Meeting up with old foes to improve his ground game

GSP-training-with-Dan-Hardy.jpg

And of course he's worked extensively on his wrestling

dan_20hardy_20010.jpg

And if all else fails

Dan-Hardy-tommy-gun.png

The big question is though, which Dan Hardy will show up?

1083.jpg

dan-hardy-19.jpg

Or as most recently seen

Dan_Hardy_Bald_UFC_146_Studiomma.jpg

Make your mind up.

Standing in his way is this man

amirtroy.jpg

No, not Verne Troyer, this menacing chap

funny_UFC_122_Amir_Sadollah_Dance.gif

Scary.

Hopefully Hardy remembers to wear a protective cup...

AllGB5TCEAEAcLq.jpg

Whatever happens at least we'll have another one of these

1407745_o.gif

Elsewhere on the main card..

Everyone's favourite Chas and Dave fan

1328748258pickett.jpg

Can Matt Wiman survive the Bermuda Sassangle?

Sass_Paul_display_image.jpg

And MMA's only Gypsy Jiu-Jitsu pinkbelt, the UK's John 'The One' Maguire...

220px-JohnMaguire1.jpg

...who is hoping to unveil the first ever Kerry Von Erich claw in UFC history...

255440_10151394158057926_855676768_n.jpg

Who says the Brits have no ground game?

Only thing that could fuck this card up would be...

523644_404798532902577_1325866244_n.jpg

On a more serious note, I think this card looks outstanding. It's not stacked with big names but FUEL shows aren't about that. For fight quality this looks like a belter. All the main card fights look excellent. It's been long overdue for the UFC to come to Nottingham and the crowd reaction for Dan Hardy should be insane on the night.

On the prelims you've got the UFC debuts of UK standouts Tom Watson and Jimi Manuwa, the debut of Gunnar Nelson who's been highly touted and tearing shit up on the European MMA scene for a while now, and the official UFC debut for TUF 15's Andy Ogle.

Maldonado vs Kruth is one fight I was hoping would make the main card personally but I understand why they stacked it with UK fighters. That could be a hell of a stand up battle. Hopefully it makes the air one way or another. It deserves better than streaming on Facebook but I suppose that shows how strong a line up this is that a fight like that is the first fight on the night.

It'll be nice to catch a live UFC at a human time as well. Staying up until 6am for every UFC, I'm going to end up with worse bags under my eyes than Harry Redknapp by the time I'm 30.

So yeah UFC in Nottingham.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent post again Wand

I will be at this show and cannot wait! I like Stipe to win the Main Event, Struve has yet to learn how to strike well and use his reach to effect. If it goes to the ground Struve is a serious submission threat, but I lean for Stipe.

Hardy is a personal favorite of mine so I will go mental when he comes out and he does his usually shouting at the camera like a serial killer. I like him to beat Amir, in what should be a entertaining brawl, Saldollah has a suspect chin and Hardy proved with Ludwig he has power, with Hardy improving his ground game as well he may be able to survive Amir's sambo attacks and those nasty armbars.

Rest of the card is full of fun fights as well. Pickett has grown on me and he is now a favorite, but can I really look myself in the mirror if I cheer a man who comes out to Chas N Dave?

• Paid Members

Well folks, this will be my first ever UFC. In fact my first ever MMA event. The card for me is stacked full of great Fights and I can't wait. I just begrudge the cost. I ended up going for the 100 quid tickets but it also included a 10% booking fee so the whole cost came to 110. Too much in my opinion.

All the fights are hard to predict which makes for an exciting night.

• Paid Members

it's a brilliant card, if you have a passing interest in UK MMA this is the card. I'd argue that it's the best MMA card ever featuring MMA fighters from the UK, should provide a quality atmosphere too because the UK crowds definitly favour the UK fighters in the live setting.

I'm fancying a UK clean sweep down the main card too, i might see what kind of odds i can get on that (minus the main event and the all UK fight).

• Paid Members

Manuwa's been wrecking shop over here for the last couple of years, he actually turned down a UFC contract at one point saying something like when he went into the UFC he wanted to be ready to go straight into title contention, but he's finally signed the deal.

he's a handful.

• Paid Members
Seems to be loads of tickets left I checked the other day.

As luck would have it I'll be in Nottingham that week visiting a friend, and although there's no way I'd pay the prices they're asking for I might go to the weigh in and keep an eye on Dana's twitter because if the reports of ticket sales are correct I wouldn't be surprised if he gives out some freebies.

But yeah, it's a good card for a Fuel show. Definitely not worth 200 quid though.

• Paid Members

I fancy the Brits to do well on the main card. But the prelims could be another story. Kingsbury is a hard debut for Manuwa. Manuwa's looked great but Kingsbury's tried and tested in the UFC and has been in some tough fights. Also I think Brad Tavares could upset Kong Watson as well to be honest. Tavares is a big 185, he's got power and he's looked pretty handy at times in the UFC. I don't know, he could throw a spanner in Watson's debut. Akira/Ogle I'm not sure about either.

I think Hardy will beat Sadollah but you never know. I don't think Amir's chin's that bad to be fair. He took some fucking haymakers off Baroni and his chin stood up fine and he went on to dominate. He also got rocked by Ludwig and hung in there to see the final buzzer. Hendricks stopped him quick but Hendricks also put Fitch out in 12 seconds, he hits like a truck. And like you say Amir's got some nice submission skills as well. Not as easy a fight for Hardy as people think in my opinion. I think it will be a crowd pleaser though. They're both always aggressive and they like to strike. Should be fun either way. I don't think Amir has the kind of power to really hurt Hardy but if it goes to the ground he could be in with a shot.

One thing you have to give Hardy credit for, he's really making the effort and seems to be doing the right things to improve on his weaknesses. His grappling has always been the major hole in his skillset but the last year or so he's been working with the likes of Roy Nelson, Frank Mir, Robert Drysdale and Ricky Lundell. If he's not improving under their guidance then there really is no hope.

I'll pick Hardy by decision in an exciting fight. Crowd will be wild for that one.

• Paid Members

As luck would have it I'll be in Nottingham that week visiting a friend, and although there's no way I'd pay the prices they're asking for I might go to the weigh in and keep an eye on Dana's twitter because if the reports of ticket sales are correct I wouldn't be surprised if he gives out some freebies.

But yeah, it's a good card for a Fuel show. Definitely not worth 200 quid though.

Tickets start at 75 quid and I think the capital FM arena is quite small so you get a good view wherever but I do agree with you. I'm only paying it as its my first ever event.

I think Hardy will beat Sadollah but you never know. I don't think Amir's chin's that bad to be fair. He took some fucking haymakers off Baroni and his chin stood up fine and he went on to dominate. He also got rocked by Ludwig and hung in there to see the final buzzer. Hendricks stopped him quick but Hendricks also put Fitch out in 12 seconds, he hits like a truck. And like you say Amir's got some nice submission skills as well. Not as easy a fight for Hardy as people think in my opinion. I think it will be a crowd pleaser though. They're both always aggressive and they like to strike. Should be fun either way. I don't think Amir has the kind of power to really hurt Hardy but if it goes to the ground he could be in with a shot.

Hendricks is a heavy hitter, but I felt he put Amir down with a glancing blow, but I guess the chin he displayed against Baroni does prove his chin is not that bad

Thanks to EBB for the info on Jimi.

• Paid Members

Tickets start at 75 quid and I think the capital FM arena is quite small so you get a good view wherever but I do agree with you. I'm only paying it as its my first ever event.

that's what people are forgetting when they see the prices for the show.

Archived