Just made the switch from IOS to Android.

RancidPunx

So got myself an Samsung S3 , battery life is not great but i am intrigued by the OS on there.

I've heard so much good stuff about Android that i had to switch from IOS that i was so used to.

What cool stuff can i do exactly that IOS can't?

Can anybody recommend me any good forums or resources for getting fully immersed in Android?

On this topic:

If I were to purchase an Android Tablet. How much Emulation fun can I have?

The main stumbling block would be mapping the controller to touchscreen, for me. I've been using Android tablets for a couple of months now and I can't get my head around games with more advanced controls than Angry Birds and Temple Run. I had a go on the Android zombie shooter Dead Trigger, which looks great, but I can't even turn around in it. I can barely move forwards and backwards. That's what's put me off emulation, the only thing I think I'd have any joy with would be point-and-click games. Whether the SNES controls are mapped to gestures or there's a little onscreen SNES pad, I couldn't see myself getting halfway through Donut Plains.

I use these regular on my Galaxy Nexus

TuneIn Radio - Fantastic web radio application

MX Player Pro - Been using this to handle video for few years now, allows me to watch 720p MKV's using the GPU and it decodes the audio with software.

SwiftKey - Unbeatable learning keyboard, so simple to text with.

Dood's Music Streamer - Free way to listen to music on Grooveshark if you've got a wifi connection or unlimited mobile data.

File Explorer - Personally my favourite file explorer, cleanest I think.

AndroIRC - I need access to IRC chat with me most of the time.

UPnPlay - Connects to DLNA server and allows to stream to my phone or even control the TV.

imo - Multiple web chat client

Forums

reddit

MoDaCo

XDA

Blog

Android Police

Get an OTG cable they're priceless for transferring media from flash drives.

On this topic:

If I were to purchase an Android Tablet. How much Emulation fun can I have?

The main stumbling block would be mapping the controller to touchscreen, for me. I've been using Android tablets for a couple of months now and I can't get my head around games with more advanced controls than Angry Birds and Temple Run. I had a go on the Android zombie shooter Dead Trigger, which looks great, but I can't even turn around in it. I can barely move forwards and backwards. That's what's put me off emulation, the only thing I think I'd have any joy with would be point-and-click games. Whether the SNES controls are mapped to gestures or there's a little onscreen SNES pad, I couldn't see myself getting halfway through Donut Plains.

Not a stumbling block at all when you realise you can connect a wiimote by Blue tooth and that newer versions of android support ps3 controller via usb. So lots of emulation fun to be had.

Not a stumbling block at all when you realise you can connect a wiimote by Blue tooth and that newer versions of android support ps3 controller via usb. So lots of emulation fun to be had.

Yeah, I've thought about using a PS3 controller and playing games on OnLive on my tablet. I never knew about the Wiimote thing, cheers for that... I'm gonna have to get my Wii classic controller off my nephew and get some emulators on the go so I can be like this lad:

It still isn't much help if I want to play Chrono Trigger on the bus though.

Archived