That devastating moment

rocky64

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I can't pinpoint when I found out when wrestling was "fake". However, I have a vivid memory of being about 10 and watching a Prince Naseem fight at my uncle's, turning around and asking my dad if boxing was predetermined like wrestling :blush:

• Paid Members
I wonder if anyone has tried to use the torture rack in a real fight. That would be class.

Seen it happen, moment of real fucking beauty, until someone chop blocked the kid's leg out from under him.

This was the same lunch break/random riot over a picnic bench between about 20 guys in the year where people pulled the classic line of headlocks with a russian leg sweep on the end. I also thought it was wise to do a running shooting star off the bench onto everyone as well. As you can expect it was both brilliant and utterly shite at the same time for different reasons.

I miss school for days like that. Especially when everyone shook hands at the end of it, properly reminded me of an ROH clusterfuck at that moment.

As for me I got told at about age 7. Made no real difference to me, I was more into wrestling for the awesome moves and storylines anyway, just became like a more violent version of Eastenders after that for me.

I knew it was fake from the first time i watched it with some of my friends. Even my daughter worked out it was fake even before she worked out santa claus isnt real, lol.

Anyone who tried taking the piss cos i still enjoy watching it are mostly the type who get all excited about big brother or x factor or some other stuff like that so they can say fuck all really. All i tend to say is its the same as some how people enjoy watching eastenders or corrie, thats got a pre-determined story line with some god awful climatic 'brawl' in a pub or something, wrestling is similar but usually has better acting and a decent 'brawl' in a wrestling ring and they see where im coming from and tend to leave it then.

The best wrestling type 'fight' (if you can call it that) i witnessed was when my daughter was about 5 and i would pick her up from school. One day when the older kids were coming out there were these 2 lads (the unruly little bully types whos mothers only reason for having them was for the extra family benefit she'd get so she could go out and get pissed one more night than usual - you probably know the type) were taunting this one boy who was new in the school and he turned around, grabbed one of the kids and threw him against a lamp post and started to Ric flair chop the hell out of him. All the other kids were shouting whoooo every time he landed one and when he stopped chopping the lad he said to him 'try picking on me again and ill stomp a mud hole in you and walk it dry'. A few of the other kids knew what he meant by that and they quickly became friends, dont think the kid ever had any bother after that.

And before anyone gets on their high horse and says 'why didnt you stop them......' i WAS walking over to go and stop them, as were some of the other parents there but the whole thing was over in a matter of seconds before we even got to them.

I kind of knew at the back of my mind when I was younger I suppose, but didn't really want to believe it. I remember reading Jackie Pallo's book 'You Grunt, I'll Groan', and thinking that, while those old British lads might have done the fake stuff, the 'proper' wrestling in the WWF must be real. I did get the piss ripped at school for a year or so when I still liked it while most of my mates had gone off it. When stuff like the Undertaker ascension angle happened at Royal Rumble 94, I was thinking "for fuck's sake lads, at least give me something to defend myself with!". As a kid, the fake aspect was to me the most embarrassing thing about liking wrestling.

I think the time when I properly admitted to myself it was fake was around the same time I grew out of it. By the time I was back into it again, the companies and wrestlers themselves were being more open about the work, and it opened up a new, more interesting side of wrestling for me.

I know people always wheel out the old 'but Coronation Street and Eastenders are fake too' defence, but what I find funny these days is the way a lot of grown adults refuse to believe that 'constructed reality' shows like TOWIE, Geordie Shore etc are fake in much the same way I gamely defended wrestling as a naive kid. I was out with an ex the other week who's far from a thick lass, but she just wouldn't have it when I was telling her things I knew for fact about how scenes from Geordie Shore were set up and people asked by production crew to play a certain part in them. It's not just kids who like wrestling who are easily duped!

• Paid Members
I kind of knew at the back of my mind when I was younger I suppose, but didn't really want to believe it. I remember reading Jackie Pallo's book 'You Grunt, I'll Groan', and thinking that, while those old British lads might have done the fake stuff, the 'proper' wrestling in the WWF must be real. I did get the piss ripped at school for a year or so when I still liked it while most of my mates had gone off it. When stuff like the Undertaker ascension angle happened at Royal Rumble 94, I was thinking "for fuck's sake lads, at least give me something to defend myself with!". As a kid, the fake aspect was to me the most embarrassing thing about liking wrestling.

I'm with you there.

I don't know what the fuck happened between Wrestlemania 9 and Summerslam 93 but every fucker at school, apart from me, seemed to stop watching it overnight.

Can't say this eveer affeected my viewing of wrestling. In middle school everyone loveed wrestling. No one really mentioned it in high school but from the amount of catchphrases and people used it was obvious that it was still popular.

Now everyone I know seems to watch it, evem the kids that made up the charver contingent seem to love it still.

I did have one friend who was a bit of dopey fella who was convinved that wrestling was real, he was so passionate that he claimed football was fake and that when a player was injured it was just a work so they could have a holiday, as I said a rather dopey lad.

• Paid Members

The kid that lived next door told me during an Earthquake match. I couldn't figure out what he meant as Earthquake was clearly landing on this nobody in my mind. For a short period of time I watched Wrestling under the misapprehension that it was an exceptionally well animated cartoon as I couldn't fully figure of what "fake" meant. It was only till my older brother filled me in some time later did I realise how foolish i'd been.

I have been guilty of using a Million Dollar Dream (successfully I might add) to win a proper scrap before. I've also been lucky enough to see somebody attempt a an actual, full on Pedigree in anger, sadly for the assailant this wasn't quite so successful.

I remember. The older boys in my group of friends said WWF was fake. I was shocked. It was about 1996 and I was 6 at the time. I kept thinking there was no way Shawn and Bret would con us all.

They also said WCW was real and their ring was made of metal. I got a new respect for WCW after that haha

Archived