That devastating moment

rocky64

Out of interest how did you react? Do you ever excuse the fact wrestling is fake in order to justify watching it? Do you feel embaressed by your interest in wrestling and how do you feel when other mention it?

I just think from that point on its sociably unnacceptable to like it isn't it. Older kids pick on you for it by high school it's unheard of to like it and leads to a likelihood of bullying If it is generally known(as with all things that are different at that point in your life) and from that point on there seems to be a ritual humiliation involved with people who still watch wrestling as an adult. Therefore it seems that anologys with coronation street are often made to people and we justify it been fake by saying well if I spelled you now are you telling me it wouldn't hurt?

I'm just curious to know what your take is on it. I don't expect a lot of. You to frankly give a fuck what others think about your love of wrestling bu how has finding out its fake affected your enjoyment and is it not true hat once ou discover his wicked truth it s inevitable you I'll a some point become a smark.

A lad called Ryan ruined I for me by spoiling Sunday night heat for me before giving me his wcw figures as he didn't need hm anymore. I ws devastated an went footy mad for a bit

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...and ive read the last sentence of that post 15 times and i still can't make sense of it.

A boy called Ryan ruined it for him, by spoiling Sunday Night Heat, he then gave him his WCW figures as he didn't need them anymore. (why that is relevant I don't know). He was devastated by this news and decided to enjoy football instead.

Do's that help? :)

• Paid Members
I just think from that point on its sociably unnacceptable to like it isn't it. Older kids pick on you for it by high school it's unheard of to like it and leads to a likelihood of bullying If it is generally known(as with all things that are different at that point in your life) and from that point on there seems to be a ritual humiliation involved with people who still watch wrestling as an adult.

And suddenly everything became clear.

I knew it was fake before watching it as my brother introduced me to wrestling through Big Show's dad's coffin being dragged away and was laughing at the stupidity of it. There wasn't any humiliation for liking wrestling in our middle school playground. Someone tried applying a sharpshooter on someone in a fight, and was laughed at afterwards for it but that's about it. He was supposedly the 'hard nut' in the school. There's loads of times people I know would burst out with something wrestling related despite being a 'closet fan', even now. If people know I'm a fan, some might talk to me one on one about it but not when there's girls about or non-wrestling fans about. Some talk to me about it regardless.

Before seeing any match, promo, playing Smackdown on ps1 or even seeing moving images of wrestlers.. I read in a magazine (the 'Kijk'), all about how these bulked up americans pretend to beat each other to attract crowds. Wasnt much I could do, it was my introduction to wrestling.

• Paid Members

My Dad told me from the first second he saw me watching it. He thought it was shite and tried to discourage me.

Years later he told me it didn't really bother him that much, just that he usually wanted to watch something else on at the same time.

• Paid Members

I used to watch the old WOS when I was a kid. My aunt who used to go the shows explained to me that it was not real when I was about 6. She then took me to a show at the Drill Hall at Lincoln and got so into the show that she hit Alan Dennison with an umbrella. Normally she was not the sort of lady who would say boo to a goose so this came as a shock to me.

I think that knowing it is not real is not important. It's whether you can suspend your disbelief when you watch. Good wrestling can make you do that and shit wrestling generally does not.

I attempted to give my brother a torture rack during a fight but he just elbowed me in the head. But i have put someone in a boston crab in a fight before after knocking him down, everyone around me didnt know what i was doing. I felt stupid...

Like a few others have said, I didn't get into it thinking it was real. I started watching it when I was 11 in 2001/2002, by simply liking Smackdown 1 on the PS1, I decided to watch an episode of Smackdown on Sky One, went into thinking it'd be crap, due to how other kids at school spoke about, but I enjoyed it and watched Smackdown on Sky one from then on.

When I started watching it my cousin pretended to up with the characters etc, saying Hurricane was called H because of the H logo he had and that it was to do with Triple H and when Hogan came back as Hollywood Hulk Hogan said it was Hulk Hogan's brother from Hollywood, as at the time I'd been watching some late 80s/90s PPV on VHS I got from a carboot, so saw a lot of Hulk Hogan and I wondered how he'd still be around, as he always kinda looked old.

Archived