"It was 20 years ago, Vinny Mac brought the band to play..."

Fat Boy Mendoza

Apologies for the self-promotion, but John Lister has a super article in this month's FSM on SummerSlam '92 and the entire first UK boom period for the WWF. The magazine is available in WHSmiths & Easons in the UK & Ireland.

Can you buy it online Brian? As in a pdf version or something?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did we ever find out exactly what was up with the lack of Bossman at Summerslam? He was back from injury/assault angle by that point, and was working the house show circuit at the time. Based on the usual timelines for development of angles, it would have been normal for him to have faced Nailz at Summerslam, or at least been involved in some capacity to further the feud. Considering it seemed like pretty much everyone on the roster played some part, with the exception of Slaughter who was winding down and ham n eggers like Kato and co, the Bossman was pretty conspicuous by his absence. Was he even in attendance?

• Paid Members

I've always wondered if the in-ring legends ceremony ever turned up online anywhere. It was most certainly filmed, a small bit of footage from it turns up on the WWE Tribute video they made for Lord Alfred Hayes.

• Paid Members

Not having Bossman-Nailz was probably just part of the overall strategy of completely ignoring the TV storylines and current house show feuds instead. Why that left Bossman as odd-man-out isn't clear, though if you only decided there was room for one the pair on the show, it made more sense to have the strong win for Nailz.

Bossman's TV return was only a couple of weeks before SummerSlam, so it could be there was never any intention of him being on the show.

• Paid Members
Did we ever find out exactly what was up with the lack of Bossman at Summerslam? He was back from injury/assault angle by that point, and was working the house show circuit at the time.

He'd literally been back on tv two weeks before SummerSlam, the Virgil match obviously being announced quite a bit before hand. It sort of makes sense to have Nailz win at least once on pay per view to build a bit more intrigue for his Boss Man blow off, even if it was only Virgil.

I suppose Bossman could have wrestled a JTTS type on the undercard or even in a dark match. Then again, they knew they'd do a megaton of business with Bulldog on top regardless of what else they put on. Ric fucking Flair didn't even have to wrestle. Maybe they had a massive rock paper scissors to see who got a break and didn't have to fly over and Boss Man won.

Boss Man should win everything, ever. I hope he's in the Rumble next year.

• Paid Members
I was about 12 when I went.

It was exactly 20 years ago today, surely you know for sure how old you were?

Not really, sometimes it can be a bit of a chore trying to work shit like that out, in my experience.

During the main event, would the constant "BULL-DOG!" "HIT-MAN!" back and forth be the first ever duelling chant?

Nowadays it happens in Cena's match at every WrestleMania, and at other shows with babyface vs babyface or a babyface vs a popular heel - but back then even huge face vs face matches like Hogan vs Warrior didn't have such an atmosphere.

I was there and remember it fondly. I was 10 years old. My first wrestling show. Couldn't believe it when my mum told me my dad had got us tickets cos I thought it had already sold out. We went on coach from the old gas show rooms in Wigan. One thing I remember about the journey is that there was another kid on it whose parents had told him he was going to Blackpool for his birthday. You should have seen his face when they revealed the tickets! All his mates were in on it too! Don't know how they kept it quiet.

Because of the sheer amount of traffic around wembley the coach only arrived during the 6 man opener so we only got into the stadium to catch the last bit of that. It's hard to describe the atmosphere as it was just so amazing, especially as a 10 year old, who had lived and breathed wwf for the past year!

Such a fantastic day and I doubt the uk will see anything like it again.

After we had got tickets, I decided to sell as much of my stuff as I could to raise as much money as I could to spend on WWF merchandise when we got there. The only big thing I managed to sell was my Atari 2600 with a load of games to a mate at school for

Archived