WWE Night Of Champions 2012 Discussion Thread

TildeGuy~!

I think Randy Orton needs some kind of rebirth or reinvention of some sort.

He is too one dimensional and has nothing to him. He doesn't really have a gimmick of any sort, and doesn't do anything stand-out. A lot the mid card roster have better gimmicks than he has.

I think he was getting the ump last night that Ziggler was getting more cheers as a heel than he was as a face, but it is his own fault in that there is nothing to him.

Nothing.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Orton's got the psycho/loner gimmick and he performs it very well (and people are into it)... It's just that they never really do anything with it. And he's an absolutely shit promo. Orton needs the writers to give him scenarios that work for his character, and they rarely do. He can't just go out there like Cena and Punk and wing it and make a good fist out of something generic. He needs the writers to make him interesting, and I think they forgot about him when Punk became the new "edgy" babyface main eventer. With Punk back on the heel side, and Sheamus going more in the Cena direction, they might put some creative focus back on how to use Orton.

the only complaint I have is after a 27 minute high impact match in which he absorbed all of his opponents finishers, borrowed or otherise, and escaped them barely at the last second, and after hitting a german suplex from the top rope, as soon the bell rang, Cena is running around like a goon compleltely no selling said punishment hes just received.

But thats the John Cena psychology we've come to expect

Who is on the cover of issue 218?

Less of that Pictos, I aint got that much Cena hate in me. Its a pretty basic thing that even Cena should be able to get his head around though. Its like when he no-sold the Orton punt at HIAC 2009. Triple h was out for 6 weeks afterwards, Cena was up 2 minutes later

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A decent PPV with JBL's return, Kane and Bryan's win and a strange yet entertaining main event being my highlights. Tough crowd to please I thought and I agree with the comments earlier. Orton was on fire in his match on Raw yet very bland against Ziggler, he's got rather stale after last night's match. I really thought the MITB was going to be cashed in but for now Ziggler must keep putting in so much effort for very little in return.

I thought this was a great PPV, third best of the year behind Extreme Rules and Mania. Fatal Four way was fantastic. Cesaro had his best outing since being with WWE. Bryan and Kane are a fantastic tandem and the pair have really bought the best out in each other, great to see them win the tag belts. Sheamus vs ADR was really good and Sheamus' best bout since the 2/3 falls with Bryan and the beatdown on his arm leading to getting tangled in the ropes was a thing of beauty.

Punk vs Cena was my favourite main event of the year from WWE, we got everything from Punk and Bryan. Punk wearing New York Yankees themed attire, a Punk-ler crossface, a moonsault....and a ROCK BOTTOM. The crowd loved it and they weren't buying a run of the mill finish for this one and an STF or AA wouldn't cut it for a finish. The german suplex from the ropes was a revelation as a finish for Cena. I was happy with the result but ecstatic with the reversal as I wanted Punk to keep the title and this was perfect for where his more cowardly character is leading. Good stuff.

Oh yeah, and as JBL put it "Randy Orton vs Ziggler was worth the price of admission"...fantastic.

I think Randy Orton needs some kind of rebirth or reinvention of some sort.He is too one dimensional and has nothing to him. He doesn't really have a gimmick of any sort, and doesn't do anything stand-out. A lot the mid card roster have better gimmicks than he has.I think he was getting the ump last night that Ziggler was getting more cheers as a heel than he was as a face, but it is his own fault in that there is nothing to him. Nothing.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Orton's got the psycho/loner gimmick and he performs it very well (and people are into it)... It's just that they never really do anything with it. And he's an absolutely shit promo. Orton needs the writers to give him scenarios that work for his character, and they rarely do. He can't just go out there like Cena and Punk and wing it and make a good fist out of something generic. He needs the writers to make him interesting
But that's my point. Perhaps there is not much further the writers can go with the same psycho/loner gimmick, hence him needing a reboot on reinvention of some sort. Not matter the genre of entertainment, acts that stick around for a long time and stay relevant are the ones that reinvent themselves, but in wrestling alone you have Hogan, Taker, Jericho, Rock, Foley, Kane, Punk etc etc.... Orton is limited in that he can only do that gimmick (IMO because he has little charisma) which really has very little scope.If he was a more diverse performer he wouldn't be in this situation.

• Paid Members

Not matter the genre of entertainment, acts that stick around for a long time and stay relevant are the ones that reinvent themselves, but in wrestling alone you have Hogan, Taker, Jericho, Rock, Foley, Kane, Punk etc etc.... Orton is limited in that he can only do that gimmick (IMO because he has little charisma) which really has very little scope.

Thats bollocks. His character in Evolution wasn't what you see on Raw and Smackdown in 2012. He's portrayed different characters before and he may do again. He's playing this gimmick, because they want him to play this gimmick. Just like Hogan played the same gimmick for 9 years in the WWF. Just like John Cena has played the same gimmick for a years. To a large extent the characters are a product of what the bookers want from you.Orton's been one of their top stars for years and years now. He must be doing something right.

• Paid Members

Just got done with this. Cena/Punk blew me away. Those two just have something special going on. On the mic and in the ring, they bring out the absolute best in each other. Great match. Match of the year in any other year, but probably Cena's 2nd or 3rd best of 2012 for me. Punk's best showing of the year by a mile. This feud has just been perfect. A big match at Hell in a Cell to blow it off will do just nicely.As for the other stuff, I enjoyed how Sheamus/Del Rio and Orton/Ziggler basically fucked off their really shit/complete lack of storyline and just had really good matches. Sheamus/Del Rio was particularly good. Kane and Bryan as tag champs is gold already, not least for how much fun Kane's obviously having doing all this wacky stuff. It's great.

Not matter the genre of entertainment, acts that stick around for a long time and stay relevant are the ones that reinvent themselves, but in wrestling alone you have Hogan, Taker, Jericho, Rock, Foley, Kane, Punk etc etc.... Orton is limited in that he can only do that gimmick (IMO because he has little charisma) which really has very little scope.

Thats bollocks. His character in Evolution wasn't what you see on Raw and Smackdown in 2012. He's portrayed different characters before and he may do again. He's playing this gimmick, because they want him to play this gimmick. Just like Hogan played the same gimmick for 9 years in the WWF. Just like John Cena has played the same gimmick for a years. To a large extent the characters are a product of what the bookers want from you.Orton's been one of their top stars for years and years now. He must be doing something right.
Its ok if you don't agree but I don't really see any difference between when he is a heel and a face, and from years ago to now. Same stuff.But as much as he still gets pops when he comes out, there are people that in the past couple of years have over taken him in popularity and are far more entertaining to watch... punk, bryan, ziggler, sheamus, ADR, and these guys have clear gimmicks with mileage in them that the writers can work with.I think the same about Miz to be honest. What does he stand for, how would you describe his character and purpose to someone in one short sentance.... it would be difficult, and in my mind Orton is the same.Perhaps we see an Orton heel turn and have him face Sheamus now?

• Paid Members
Its ok if you don't agree but I don't really see any difference between when he is a heel and a face, and from years ago to now. Same stuff.

But as much as he still gets pops when he comes out, there are people that in the past couple of years have over taken him in popularity and are far more entertaining to watch... punk, bryan, ziggler, sheamus, ADR, and these guys have clear gimmicks with mileage in them that the writers can work with.

I think the same about Miz to be honest. What does he stand for, how would you describe his character and purpose to someone in one short sentance.... it would be difficult, and in my mind Orton is the same.

Perhaps we see an Orton heel turn and have him face Sheamus now?

The things I have bolded are just objectively wrong. And I think I'm being generous with some of

Those other names. ADR more popular than orton? Have a word.

If he was a more diverse performer he wouldn't be in this situation.

That's true. But he's not a more diverse performer, and he is one of WWE's top stars and the most popular babyface with live crowds on any given night, so the writers should be working around him. Emphasise his strengths, hide his weaknesses, create shortcuts for him, that kind of thing. Every now and again they get it right -- usually, it involves a more verbally talented wrestler doing the lion's share of the mic work and Orton popping up to chase them off or RKO them or something. He could do with more props and stunts, I reckon. When Stone Cold was a mental sociopath, he had a new vehicle every week to mess about in.

I didn't care for much outside of the main event and Bryan/Kane. Orton vs. Ziggler should have been one of the highlights, but I just found it mega bland.

Cena and Punk are superb together. I loved the Rock Bottom from Punk - it simultaneously makes him a hypocrite and a total cunt, throwing Cena's loss to The Rock in his face. Very nice touch.

Just watched it and the title matches were great......both the Cena/Punk and Shamus/Del Rio were well above par and the Orton/Ziggler was also great.

However I did find that the PPV had too many "Screwy Finishes"..,.....the bit with Cara's mask, Bryan pushing Kane off the the top rope and also the end of the Punk match.

But yeah it was pretty good overall. The Cesaro/Ryder match was also quite a serviceable match.....

Hated the Team Friendship shit though.......it's stupid skits like that ruins the wrestling for me it kind of takes away from the gravitas of the title matches and if it's one thing the WWE has never been able to pull it's humour........It's always so weak and sophmorish.

Hated the Team Friendship shit though.......it's stupid skits like that ruins the wrestling for me it kind of takes away from the gravitas of the title matches and if it's one thing the WWE has never been able to pull it's humour........It's always so weak and sophmorish.

Would respectfully disagree. As mentioned I watched NOC in the cinema, and so the skits went down a storm with the audience. I usually hate WWE humour, but frankly the Kane / Bryan skits were a real highlight to the audience I saw it with.

Each to their own hay?

Its ok if you don't agree but I don't really see any difference between when he is a heel and a face, and from years ago to now. Same stuff.

But as much as he still gets pops when he comes out, there are people that in the past couple of years have over taken him in popularity and are far more entertaining to watch... punk, bryan, ziggler, sheamus, ADR, and these guys have clear gimmicks with mileage in them that the writers can work with.

I think the same about Miz to be honest. What does he stand for, how would you describe his character and purpose to someone in one short sentance.... it would be difficult, and in my mind Orton is the same.

Perhaps we see an Orton heel turn and have him face Sheamus now?

The things I have bolded are just objectively wrong. And I think I'm being generous with some of

Those other names. ADR more popular than orton? Have a word.

Its ok that you don't agree. I don't agree that they are objectively wrong... i wasn't specific about who they are more popular with.

Would respectfully disagree. As mentioned I watched NOC in the cinema, and so the skits went down a storm with the audience. I usually hate WWE humour, but frankly the Kane / Bryan skits were a real highlight to the audience I saw it with.

Each to their own hay?

Yeah to be fair the dudes I watched it with really enjoyed those skits to........maybe it's just me who is a bit of a humourless bastard.

But i always prefer the more Po-faced and serious aspects of the WWE......

Archived